Monday in Nature Weekly Photo June 9, 2014

Laura Weishaupt

<blockquote>

<p><br>

</p>

<p ><strong >Basic Guidelines</strong>: Nature based subject matter. Please, declare captive subjects. Keep your image at/under 700 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing and try to keep file size under 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Feel free to link your image to a larger version.</p>

<p ><strong ><em >In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include hand of man elements. Please refrain from images with obvious buildings or large structures.</em></strong><em > A bird on the fence or bug on your finger is fine. Try to minimize man made features, keep the focus on nature, and let common sense be your guide. Let's post 1 image per week.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good Morning All,<br>

I hope you've all had a great week. We'll just jump right in this morning. I'm opening with another slime mold. This is a pretty stage of<em> Lycogala epidendrum</em>. The surface will harden and eventually crack open, looking like tiny puff balls. They are extremely common. The pretty color stands out on logs and these are big enough to see unaided.</p>

<p>What's nature bringing your way?Let's see here at Monday in Nature.</p><div>00cdSj-548945984.JPG.27e7513c361fec730be0cb01b7b5d209.JPG</div>

<p>We saw this killdeer at a county park yesterday. It was behaving strangely in front of us, apparently trying to distract us. My wife and I realized that is usually a signal that her nest is near-by and she doesn't want us to discover it. Sure enough, we saw her egg not far from the trail.</p>

<p>Nikon D7100 with 80-400mm/f4.5-5.6 AF-S VR lens at 400mm, f5.6.</p><div>00cdTz-548950184.jpg.0e5ef385087664cff7cfc6c6e8b9a6d4.jpg</div>

<p>This morning I saw what I thought was a fly nymph on my kitchen screen, so I grabbed my u4/3 body and an old Canon FD macro 50/3.5. Much to my surprise the little dot was something else...I think it is a baby of the little "jumping" spiders I see especially this time of year. Adults are about 1-2mm in size. Handheld 1/50 f/8, ISO 200.</p><div>00cdU7-548950284.jpg.aaa8cf46a2d2e5cf9a82cb386204003b.jpg</div>

<p>The Bluestem Prairie just outside Fargo, ND (USA) is owned and managed by the Nature Conservancy. They recently had a controlled burn. I discovered this beauty while wandering around the char, looking for some early wildflowers. </p><div>00cdWA-548955784.jpg.4fe186c44c461895d5a3841879312733.jpg</div>

<p>Here's something I caught in pixels three months ago and have been struggling ever since to get white balance, reflecting highlights and contrast sorted out to some decent combination... For the bug-minded, it's the front end of a rockhopper = wild and free relative of the slippery silverfish nibbling away at those old dusty cardboard boxes hidden up in your attic!</p><div>00cdWB-548955884.JPG.0e08fbc728dc5c09bfa9ccef7dd5db28.JPG</div>