Equipment needed please help!

mark_smith68

<p>Hello,<br>

I am currently putting together a list of basics without sacrificing for cheaper lenses etc. I am not asking for pricing or where to get items or what would or would not be the best.<br>

I am asking for your list so that i may compare and either reduce or add on to my list.so if you would be so kind that would be more than great!<br>

so without further delay, here is my list.<br>

1 <strong>Canon EOS-5D Mark III 22.3 Megapixel Digital Camera</strong><br>

1 <strong>Canon BG-E11 Battery Grip for 5D Mark III Camera</strong><br>

4 <strong>Canon LP-E6 Rechargeable Battery</strong> (for camping and outdoor extended trips)<br>

2 <strong>Canon LC-E6 Battery Charger For LP-E6 Battery</strong> ( so that i may charge two while i use the other 2 batteries)<br>

1 <strong>Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens (67mm)</strong><br>

1 <strong>Canon EF 124-70mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens (67mm)</strong><br>

<strong>1 <strong>Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Telephoto Lens (67mm)</strong><br /></strong><br>

<strong><strong>3 <strong>Precision Ultra Optics Multi Coated Uv Glass Filter (67mm</strong>) <br /></strong></strong><br>

<strong><strong>1 <strong>Slik Pro 330DX Tripod W/ Head 63"</strong><br /></strong></strong><br>

<strong><strong>1 <strong>Amprobe 3730217 LED Light Meter</strong><br /></strong></strong><br>

<strong><strong>1 <strong>DGK Color Tools Digital Grey Kard Standard White Balance Card Set with Standard Lanyard (Set of Three Cards) </strong><br /></strong></strong><br>

<strong><strong>4 <strong>Dane Elec 32GB Compact Flash Memory Card High Speed</strong><br /></strong></strong><br>

<strong><strong>1 <strong>Vivatar DKS-18 Photo/SLR/Laptop Sling Backpack</strong><br /></strong></strong><br>

<strong><strong>1 <strong>Canon 430EX II Speedlite Flash For Digital SLR</strong><br /></strong></strong><br>

<strong><strong>1 <strong>Supreme Flash Diffuser</strong><br /></strong></strong><br>

<strong><strong>1 <strong>Canon RS-60E3 Remote Switch For Rebel Digital Camera</strong><br /></strong></strong><br>

<strong><strong>1 <strong>StudioPRO Photography Video Lighting Kit 450W Umbrella Backdrop Set</strong><br /></strong></strong><br>

<strong><strong><strong>1 </strong></strong>27-inch iMac </strong>( for editing and uploading ..... you get the point)<strong><br /></strong><br>

1 External hard drive 1TB (for backup)<br>

1 <strong>Adobe creative cloud </strong></p>

<p><strong><strong><strong> </strong></strong></strong></p>

<p>Too detailed.<br>

You're asking people to rate choices for an <strong><em>unspecified purpose</em></strong> that range in price from a few dollars to thousands of dollars.</p>

<p>Are you setting up for location shooting or studio?<br>

Portraits (presumably) but maybe landscapes too?</p>

<p>I'd recommend Kingston over Dane for the CF card, for example; but does that really help you much?</p>

<p>"How and what do you shoot?", is what it all comes down to.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><strong>Rob,</strong> I have use a DSLR, i currently use a Canon T2i with a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens (67mm) attached, with 4 batteries and a grip, two chargers, one Precision Ultra Optics Multi Coated Uv Glass Filter (67mm) , a tripod i got from a second hand store and one Vivatar DKS-18 Photo/SLR/Laptop Sling Backpack to put it all in...<br /> <strong>JDM von Weinberg,</strong> I am not asking for a rating for anything specific, <br /> as for what i am looking to do is expand my abilities, currently i have been shooting basic scenery and wild life and would like to expand out side of that a little as well. for example would like to do some wedding as well as some "stock". <br /> I apologize if my question became diluted in some sense, <br /> <strong>My question is "What is your minimums and basics? here is my list"</strong></p>

<p> </p>

<p>[["What is your minimums and basics?"]</p>

<p>The question is completely unanswerable. It's a tool box. You put into it what you need. Building houses or fixing cars will have different sets of tools. So do photographers.</p>

<p>[[as for what i am looking to do is expand my abilities]]</p>

<p>How will the camera equipment you've listed help you do that? </p>

What I take depends on what I anticipate

photographing. My gear is different for candid

photos of people than for landscapes.

Mostly I'd suggest another tripod and better

head, and a better bag. Some items can't be

evaluated from a catalog wish list. Tripods and

bags should be chosen carefully to suit specific

needs. Read user evaluations rather than

catalogs.

Most stuff on your list doesn't need to be brand

specific. It reads like a pre-packaged kit

assembled by a retailer to pad sales. Filters,

media cards, etc., can be purchased individually

just as easily and cost effectively.

<p>One item I'd remove from the list -</p>

<p>Your "Amprobe" light meter would be suitable for monitoring lighting in a factory (in fact I have an earlier version for my business) but rather less than handy for camera work. It's bulky, takes 2 hands and outputs lux and footcandles.</p>

<p>Jim the engineer</p>

<p>Buy ONE thing at a time, then move on to the next when it becomes obvious you need it to do something.</p>

<p>Start with the camera body and standard lens and a couple memory cards. Shoot with it.</p>

<p>Buy something wider when you realize you need it. (I bought something wider than standard and it took me years to come to grips with the fact that I never used it...) Or buy something longer when you realize you need it.</p>

<p>Buy the grip if you feel you need it, but not before you know...</p>

<p>Only person that should buy a huge kit is a pro who already knows what he needs.</p>

<p>etc...</p>

<p>Mark, maybe a lot of answers seem a semi-joke and not helpful, but realistically, you are asking a question none of us can really answer, plus you seem to be putting the cart before the horse.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>as for what i am looking to do is expand my abilities, currently i have been shooting basic scenery and wild life and would like to expand out side of that a little as well.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>To be worse than all written before: if you want to expand <em>your</em> abilities, <strong>learn</strong>. A better camera with better lenses does not yield better photos. The tools you use to charge your batteries are completely irrelevant to expanding your abilities. UV filters can make hairy discussions and in the end have relatively little to do with taking real photos in real life. At best, better gear just gets less in your way of making the images you want.</p>

<p>Go back to basics. In which way is your current camera holding you back? What does it not do that you need it to do? Fix that; maybe it isn't even fixed with all those items that you have on your virtual shopping list. Getting that shopping list: yes, you will have well respected, good all-round gear that is useful in a lot of situations. Doesn't seem anything is missing. But does it solve what is holding you back now in your quest for better photos? No idea, really no clue at all. Unanswerable.</p>

<p>If you want to improve your photos, if you want to have photos that stand out from a crowd of photos and that make people draw their wallets, then work on your knowledge about light, composition, timing, colour and so on. Your gear is extremely secondary to that.<br>

So, what I find lacking on the list? A lot of books, a course, workshops. I'd drop nearly everything on that list, and put those first (but I admit, it's easy to say because I've got more gear than I really need).<br>

It's not to mock your question, and I'd be genuinely sorry if I seem to mock that question. But your question sounds like a gearheaded one, and that does tend to draw reactions as the ones you are getting. So, what is the problem that needs fixing?</p>

1 Canon EOS-5D Mark III 22.3 Megapixel Digital Camera

Good choice.

1 Canon BG-E11 Battery Grip for 5D Mark III Camera

Skip unless you can justify it.

4 Canon LP-E6 Rechargeable Battery (for camping and outdoor extended trips)

Good choice,

2 Canon LC-E6 Battery Charger For LP-E6 Battery ( so that i may charge two while i use the other 2 batteries)

Skip.

1 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens (67mm)

1 Canon EF 124-70mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens (67mm)

1 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Telephoto Lens (67mm)

Good choices.

3 Precision Ultra Optics Multi Coated Uv Glass Filter (67mm)

Get B+W filters instead. Don't put cheap glass in front of good glass.

1 Slik Pro 330DX Tripod W/ Head 63"

I don't like Slik tripods or heads to Ben honest. Look at Manfrotto, Induro, or. If you really have the money, Really Right

Stuff instead, also for an "l" type quick release bracket for your camera and a plate for your 70-300mm lens.

1 Amprobe 3730217 LED Light Meter

I use Sekonkic. I was unaware that Amprobe makes light meters.

1 DGK Color Tools Digital Grey Kard Standard White Balance Card Set with Standard Lanyard (Set of Three Cards)

Get the WhiBal gray targets instead.

4 Dane Elec 32GB Compact Flash Memory Card High Speed

Skip and go with SanDisk or Lexar. I use SanDisks.

1 Vivatar DKS-18 Photo/SLR/Laptop Sling Backpack

Hate all sling bags.

1 Canon 430EX II Speedlite Flash For Digital SLR

You might want to consider a Canon 600 EX-RT instead.

1 Supreme Flash Diffuser

No opinion as I don't know it.

1 Canon RS-60E3 Remote Switch For Rebel Digital Camera

Good choice.

1 StudioPRO Photography Video Lighting Kit 450W Umbrella Backdrop Set

Noontime know it.

1 27-inch iMac ( for editing and uploading ..... you get the point)

Get as much RAM as it will hold and whichever size SSD or hybrid drive you are considering, get twice as large.

1 External hard drive 1TB (for backup)

I recommend that you keep your photos on an external RAID 5 array or a Drobo 5D,

1 Adobe creative cloud

Get the $9.99 per month plan for Photoshop + Lightroom.

I also recommend you get two books: "Light:Science and Magic" and "The Digital Negative" by Jeff Schewe.

You also need a colorimeter for calibrating and profiling your display: I recommend the XRite i1Display Pro or the

ColorMunki Display.

<blockquote>

<p>I am asking for your list so that i may compare and either reduce or add on to my list.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What I own reflects what <em>I</em> shoot. What you buy should reflect what <em>you</em> shoot. For example, I shoot a lot of macro, and I have for years. Therefore, I own the 100mm L that you list. I shot macro intensively for maybe 4 years before I decided to spring for that lens. If I didn't shoot a lot of macro, or if I were just starting with macro and wasn't sure how much (or what kind) I would end up doing, I would pay half as much, or less. If macro is not a priority, I wouldn't buy even that.</p>

<p>I really think this is backwards. Start with what <em>you</em> need, or to think of it another way, what is now holding you back? That should guide your purchases. I would never spring for what must be $7000-$8000 of equipment without some specific reason for each piece.</p>

<p>I see Wouter beat me to it, with a more detailed answer. He is offering very good advice.</p>

<p>I'll add a personal note. I also have the body you are suggesting, the 5D Mark III. I bought it roughly 45 years after I bought my first SLR, and I still thought it was a splurge. It's a truly great camera, but you don't need a $3000 body to improve your photos. It allows me to succeed somewhat more often than my old camera, a 50D (which you can buy in very good condition for $500), but in most cases, when I get it right, no one realizes which body I used--especially if I am simply displaying on the web. So, relax about the equipment. Buy things as you find you need them, and don't automatically buy the most expensive. </p>

<p>So to answer many of your question, I have some make shift items that i use for my photography, i use a green sheet from walmart for a green screen, i use some mechanic lights for lighting, I have one real lens but i use some cheap attachments (wide angle lens wich causes that dark grey or black ring causing me to have to crop the image, also i use magnifying lenses for macro which are very hard to get focused and are really heavy) to get the photos i do, i have ultimately had to take my truck off road and readjust it to use it as a tripod, I have used printed and non printed card stock for my white balance, I have purchased rechargeable batteries AA to go into my hand grip with a make shift holder, i do like to use the hand grip for various reasons.... I use a flash light for my "flash"<br>

and last but not least i use a $5 web plan to store all my photos on, it says its unlimited, but there have been times when i have not been able to access my photos<br>

<strong>The reason for my list is i have the cash now to upgrade form my makeshift items to more reliable and professional equipment, and wanted some basic feed back to what else i should be looking for, if anything.</strong></p>

<p>Hi, I looked over your list a bit, and I also see that you mentioned possibly shooting weddings.</p>

<p>Here's a few thoughts. For weddings, or other "time critical" jobs, you really should have a set of backup gear. So make that at least TWO 5D Mk II cameras, as well as a spare mid-range lens and flash unit.</p>

<p>Regarding the "Amprobe 3730217 LED Light Meter," this doesn't seem intended for photography. You would probably prefer a meter that gives exposure information, and ideally one that can read flash exposures. I've mainly used Minolta meters in the past; something in the Sekonic line would be most similar, I think. But if you don't have a specific need for a separate meter, the one in your camera should be just fine.</p>

<p>You listed a 430 EXII flash unit. For weddings, there may be times when you want a bit more power. My experience along those lines has been mostly with the 580 EX II, but the 600 EX RT ought to be a better one. Again, you'll want a backup flash for weddings.</p>

<p>The StudioPRO lighting kit, per Amazon.com, uses CFL bulbs. I think you will find the light output is marginal for portraits of people, and there will likely be color issues at least occasionally. I think you would be better served by going straight to studio flash units. I've always used these strictly in studio, but some peole here like to have battery powered units for locations use. I don't want to recommend brands, but for studio work you'd like to have perhaps 4 lights (or more). Not too long ago, the main style for this was to use a main flash pack ("generator" in certain lingo) with remote flash heads plugged into it. Today, it seems much more common to use individual mono-lights, where each unit is a self-contained flash unit. Some brand names to look at are Norman, Photogenic, Elinchrome, Profoto, and Paul Buff on the economy end.</p>

<p>Finally, if you want to do pro work, you need to be sure your image adjustments are right. Since you'll be depending on your computer monitor for this, you need to be sure it's right. What you want to do is called "monitor profiling," and you need a hardware/software kit to do this. I'd suggest anything that uses Xrite's i1 (eye one) display unit.</p>

<p>ps; I see many more responses since I started this. I'm not going to revise mine, so apologies to anyone I am repeating.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>So to answer many of your question, I have some make shift items that i use for my photography, i use a green sheet from walmart for a green screen, i use some mechanic lights for lighting, I have one real lens but i use some cheap attachments (wide angle lens wich causes that dark grey or black ring causing me to have to crop the image, also i use magnifying lenses for macro which are very hard to get focused and are really heavy) to get the photos i do, i have ultimately had to take my truck off road and readjust it to use it as a tripod, I have used printed and non printed card stock for my white balance, I have purchased rechargeable batteries AA to go into my hand grip with a make shift holder, i do like to use the hand grip for various reasons.... I use a flash light for my "flash"<br /> and last but not least i use a $5 web plan to store all my photos on, it says its unlimited, but there have been times when i have not been able to access my photos</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is helpful. A few responses:</p>

<p><br />--for white balance, get a whilBal. You can spend as little as $15, I think, but you can also buy the one I use for $30. It is sufficient for my purposes.</p>

<p><br />--for a tripod: this is a matter of use and personal taste. Within a price range, there is a bewildering array of choices, and what works for me might not work for you. For example, I wanted one with a reversible center post. I hang my camera upside down for ground-level macro work, and for indoor work, I find a center post very helpful. Other people hate center posts because outdoors, the camera is more stable without one. Then there are heads--big and heavy, vs small an lighter but less smooth, etc. This is a topic by itself.</p>

<p>--Re macro: I'd again say, macro of what? if you are doing tripod-based work, the 100L is a waste of money; you can get the non-L without IS (which is useless for tripod work) for half the price. If you are using a diffused flash to freeze motion, the IS is not worth all that much. Etc. Need to clarify more.</p>

<p>--for storage online: spend $40, and you have unlimited, backed up storage on Smugmug. $20 more gets you the ability to customize the site more easily. If you are not selling online, there is no need to pay more. For about $100 more, you can upgrade to a level that lets you sell.</p>

<p>--for wide angle: there are a number of very good, not terribly expensive options for your crop sensor. If 24mm FF is what you are considering wide, the EF-S 15-85 would do the trick. if you are going FF, there are lenses that cost half or less the 24-70 mark II, like the 24-105 (that's what I use) or the new Tamron 24-70 or the new Canon 24-70 f/4. Is the extra worth it? for some people.</p>

<p>Those make shift items, if you replace just those with "real" items, wouldn't that solve most of the problems then? As others said, no need to get everything in one blow. Replace the items that hold you back most, and see how things are then. Keep the money safe, so later on you could still get those items - when/if you need them.</p>

<p>More to the point on your list:</p>

<ul>

<li>Consider 3rd party macro lenses, as they are all excellent, and a lot cheaper. Tamron 90mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8 for example. Focal length depends a lot on what kind of macro shots, though. For living insects, 100mm is a bit short still.</li>

<li>Also a Sandisk user here - beware of fakes, but the real ones are just really reliable good stuff. Lexar as a second choice. Think also of a good card reader (Lexar has a nice, fast USB3 one).</li>

<li>A hand-held light meter... the camera has one, and it works pretty well. Also in studios usually. What does it need to solve?</li>

<li>Tripod, head - spend serious money there, and spend only once. Especially cheap ballheads are better avoided with heavier gear. I have relatively cheap Manfrotto legs, but they reach my height (6ft thereabouts) which with my back is a huge plus; I went through various heads, wasting a lot of money, before finding one that work properly for me; it wasn't cheap at all.</li>

<li>UV filters-only use those on lenses I use in bad weather and other bad conditions where things will get dirty easily. On most lenses, I have none. Filters I do care about: polariser to reduce reflections, ND to reduce shutterspeeds. The rest for digital I do not bother with.</li>

<li>As for a iMac- I'm a PC user, and OSX and I aren't friends. If you're used to a Mac, stick with a Mac, but if it is because of the idea that Macs are better for editing photos: that is a myth.</li>

<li>In general, I'm a bit weary of these all-in-ones (regardless of brand); I rather have a base unit of sorts (Mac Mini for example), and buy a really good monitor seperately. I know the LCD in an iMac is good, but still - it's more flexible and I can upgrade my system somewhat easier.</li>

<li>Display calibration tool indeed, as written above.</li>

<li>Lightroom/Photoshop are the most used tools out there, but do consider the alternatives. The $10/month deal is attractive, of course, but if the user interface doesn't work for you, it's wasted money. Of the Adobe products, I'd get Lightroom over Photoshop, if I'd had to choose (but I use an alternative to Lightroom, combined with Photoshop Elements for the very few times I need a pixel editor).</li>

<li>Things as batteries - buying a lot of things may seem to foolproof, but it needs to be carried around, or stays at home unused; batteries do perish over time - get just what you need, not more.</li>

</ul>

<p>And that's the whole point still: work out your needs, and get what you need. Spending a load of cash on things you may maybe need just leaves you with a lot of unused gear at home.</p>

<p><em>Only you will know what you really need to get the shot</em>. Like Jeff said, a basic rig is a computer, camera, lens and memory card. Don't get caught up with the gear until you understand why you need it.</p>

<p>Learn the kinds of photography that you want to do, think about what you want to achieve, then find out how to achieve that "look" you want. Once you know that, you'll be able to research what gear you will want to buy to achieve the look and quality you seek.</p>

<p>Nevertheless, here are my thoughts...</p>

<p><strong>1 Canon EOS-5D Mark III 22.3 Megapixel Digital Camera</strong> - Great, if full frame is what you want, and if budget allows.<br>

<br /><strong>1 Canon BG-E11 Battery Grip for 5D Mark III Camera</strong> - I personally don't find this very useful unless it feels significantly more comfortable.<br>

<br /><strong>4 Canon LP-E6 Rechargeable Battery (for camping and outdoor extended trips)</strong> - I'd get an extra one no matter who you are, extra batteries save lives (ok, maybe that was an exaggeration.) However, 4 batteries seems too much, that's around 3000-4000 shots before you need to charge your batteries again. Unless you're rolling through frames like a beast in rural Mongolia with no power for several weeks, I think you can get by with one or two extra...<br>

<br /><strong>2 Canon LC-E6 Battery Charger For LP-E6 Battery</strong> <strong>( so that i may charge two while i use the other 2 batteries)</strong> - Maybe? Get one after you find out you'd need one.<br>

<br /><strong>1 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens (67mm)</strong> - Sharp and versatile, great if you find a use for for the macro function, otherwise I'd consider the 135mm f2 L for this focal length. People think of this focal length as a head and shoulders portrait lens; I use it for practically everything from landscapes to portraits to sports =P<br>

<br /><strong>1 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens (67mm)</strong> - A staple for most event photographers. I see you already have it. Keep it if you're satisfied with the shots you're getting from it. Incredibly versatile.<br>

<br /><strong>1 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Telephoto Lens (67mm</strong>) - what kind of photography do you plan on using this for? Think about situations where you would need a lens like this. It's relatively lightweight for the focal lengths you get, which makes bringing it to a hike much more enjoyable.</p>

<p><strong>3 Precision Ultra Optics Multi Coated Uv Glass Filter (67mm)</strong> - I don't put UV protectors on my lenses. Total personal preference sort of thing. If you're clumsy, sure get them. The filter you have here isn't high quality; I would consider something else.</p>

<p><strong>1 Slik Pro 330DX Tripod W/ Head 63"</strong> - I would consider a better tripod. Tripods are something where you really do get what you pay for. The head on this one is rated for 6 lbs only, and would not hold still if you put a big lens on it.</p>

<p><strong>1 Amprobe 3730217 LED Light Meter</strong> - Ask yourself if you really need a light meter. They're useful for getting the right settings for good consistent shots and for saving time dialing in strobes and speedlight. They're an expensive luxxury, so I've never felt like it was a necessity.</p>

<p><strong>1 DGK Color Tools Digital Grey Kard Standard White Balance Card Set with Standard Lanyard (Set of Three Cards)</strong> - Useful, but not a basic requirement.</p>

<p><strong>4 Dane Elec 32GB Compact Flash Memory Card High Speed</strong> - Get name brand cards. Don't cheap out here, because people have often lost entire collections of photos to cheap cards...</p>

<p><strong>1 Vivatar DKS-18 Photo/SLR/Laptop Sling Backpack</strong> - Personal preference thing, your choice.</p>

<p><strong>1 Canon 430EX II Speedlite Flash For Digital SLR</strong> - a good economical choice. Think about getting a second speedlite, and ways to get it off camera like wired/wireless triggers.</p>

<p><strong>1 Supreme Flash Diffuser</strong> - No comment, only you know if you need it.</p>

<p><strong>1 Canon RS-60E3 Remote Switch For Rebel Digital Camera</strong> - Wrong shutter release for a 5D III, you need one with an N3 connector. Usefulness is questionable; I end up using my 2 second timer because plugging in an N3 connector is frustrating as hell in the dark.</p>

<p><strong>1 StudioPRO Photography Video Lighting Kit 450W Umbrella Backdrop Set - </strong>are you setting up a studio? I would put this money in another speed light, stands, umbrellas, and beauty dish if you want that studio set up.</p>

<p><strong>1 27-inch iMac ( for editing and uploading ..... you get the point) -</strong> nice basic editing rig. Go borrow a colorimeter to get it calibrated if you plan to do extensive printing.</p>

<p><strong>1 External hard drive 1TB (for backup) -</strong> or better yet, back up to the cloud.</p>

<p><strong>1 Adobe creative cloud -</strong> Your choice, if you benefit from constant updates, go with the cloud. Otherwise try to find a boxed copy of Photoshop and Lightroom CS4-CS6</p>

<p>A few points specifically on the group rationale of the two zoom lenses which you have listed: <br /> <br /> There is no such lens as the – “<strong>EF 124-70mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens (67mm)</strong>”. <br /> Some have interpreted this as a mistype and assumed that you meant: EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM - which you specifically mention that you have and use in your kit at the moment: – but as I understand the current range of Canon EF lenses such a lens <strong>does NOT exist, either</strong>.<br /> In that ballpark you have the choice of 3 current lenses:<br /> EF 24 to 70 F/2.8 L MkII<br /> EF 24 to 105 F/4 L IS <br /> EF 24 to 70 F/4 L IS<br /> And there is the original EF 24 to 70 F/2.8 L which you could buy second hand.<br /> <br /> So therefore:</p>

<ul>

<li>

<p>If your kit rationale is to have Image Stabilization across all three lenses, then you must opt for either of the two F/4 lenses in the Standard Zoom FL range.</p>

</li>

<li>

<p>If your logic is to have the fastest lens speed in the Standard Zoom FL range, then you must opt for NOT hang Image Stabilization.</p>

</li>

<li>

<p>Whichever of these four Standard Zoom Lenses that you choose, doing so will spoil having a standard filter size across your kit, as three of those lenses that I listed have filter mounts Φ77mm and the newer 24-70/2.8MkII has Φ82mm.</p>

</li>

</ul>

<p><br /> ***<br /> <br /> Now commenting on the choice of the <strong>Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Telephoto Lens (67mm)</strong><br /> If having chosen Lens Speed to be the Priority for the Standard Zoom Lens, then it seems to me more logical to move to EF 70 to 200 F/2.8 L IS MkII USM for the Telephoto Zoom Lens and seriously consider the x1.4 EF Extender MkIII to you get to FL = 280mm.<br /> Such a choice also eliminates having a varying maximum aperture zoom: which is a particular bug of mine – YMMV. <br /> <br /> *** <br /> <br /> Comments on these two other items:<br /> <strong>Canon 430EX II Speedlite</strong>, I see little sense in buying the (comparatively) limited capacity of this Speedlite as that logic seems out of kilter with the combined capacity of the kit that you are considering: in this respect, the 600 Series Speedlite (already mentioned) would be my choice. <br /> <br /> <strong>Canon RS-60E3 Remote Switch For Rebel Digital Camera: </strong>this would be a poor purchase because this remote control is not compatible with the EOS 5DMkIII.<br /> The incompatibility is due to the connecting pin arrangement. This Remote Switch has a “tip ring and sleeve” micro type pin connector which is suitable (as your text implies) for the ‘Rebel’ Range of cameras – and this remote is also compatible with some other Canon cameras.<br /> <br /> A Remote Switch which I understand is compatible with the 5DMkIII is the: <strong>RS-80N3.</strong><br /> However I would opt for the extra facilities of the Timer Controller: <strong>TC-80N3</strong><br /> <br /> WW</p>

<p>PS> <br>

I realize that I have avoided your specific question:<br>

<strong>"What is your minimums and basics equipment needs?"</strong><br>

<strong><br /></strong>Answer: Fuji x100s; Fuji Flash and Off Camera cord; computer and card. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>“. . . <strong>looking to do is expand my abilities</strong>, currently i have been shooting basic scenery and wild life and would like to expand outside of that a little as well. For example would like to <strong>do some wedding</strong>”</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That’s a specifically different question. One major premise in developing a Wedding Kit is: SYSTEM REDUNDANCY. You have to be able to carry on, without missing a beat, irrespective of gear failures or other unexpected happenings. <strong>Bare bones basics for a </strong>DSLR kit . . .</p>

<p>I think that you need (and I will give examples in Canon DSLR):<br>

<strong>two camera bodies</strong>; <br>

<strong>two speed lights;</strong><br>

<strong>two fast ‘main working’ lenses</strong> whereby EITHER lens can be used in an emergency as your main working lens ON EITHER CAMERA.<br>

For example that could be an EF24 to 70/2.8 and an EF 35/2 if you have a 5D series and an APS-C.<br>

But the two lenses could NOT be an EF 24 to 70/2.8 and an EF-S 17 to 55/2.8, because the EF-S lens will not mount the 5D Series camera.<br>

Similarly an EF 24 to 70/2.8 and an EF 50/1.4 would be a poor choice, as the 50mm lens on an APS-C body would prove very difficult to manage if it were needed to be used, for the whole wedding coverage<br>

<strong>One fast medium telephoto</strong> lens about the 135mm FL equivalent, on a 5D Series camera.<br>

So, for example an F 85/1.8 for an APS-C kit would be OK.<br>

Also (as another example) for a really “bare bones” kit; the 24 to 70 could double as the telephoto lens if it were used on the APS-C camera, but you'd do that knowing if the 24 to 70 fails then there is no telephoto lens to use a all.<br>

<strong>A card for each camera </strong>big enough for the whole day and then two spare cards.<br>

<strong>Batteries (all charged)</strong> enough for the whole day, for <strong>each camera and each Speedite</strong> and then another 50% of that quantity of batteries, charged <strong>as spares</strong>.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Ok. Let me first say that I read your list of equipment with very little interest. Let me be the Dutch uncle.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You said, "for example would like to do some wedding as well as some "stock". </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Care to share with us what you have done to prepare yourself to take someone's most important day in your hands? How much time did you budget to apprentice yourself to a real professional wedding photographer? Do you think that maybe you will learn a little about your kit working with the pro? What did you budget for training and education? How many studio lighting books have you read and how many lighting seminars have you attended.</p>

<p>Seriously guy. Do you think that professionals just save money until they can buy a game? You are going to shoot "stock". Do you really know what that means? What is it in which you excel? Why didn't you budget for insurance? Why didn't you budget for advertising, SEO, and business services? </p>

<p>I guess this is the world we live in today. Here is something for you to consider. I totally get that one has to start somewhere. I started somewhere. But professionals know how to do stuff. It takes years and years to learn how to do stuff. We didn't go to the camera store, buy all the parts and assemble some commercial art. </p>

<p>Don't buy one single thing. Get a mentor or two. Take classes, symposia and seminars. Apprentice yourself to a wedding photographer. All of these things will build your knowledge base. Then that knowledge will inform your selection of equipment. </p>

<p>Avoid becoming a gearhead. Professionals think of equipment as tools. Buy what you need once you can clearly articulate what you intend to do with it and why what you already have will not serve. </p>

<p>Respect the knowledge, experience and artistic ability required to be a professional. Think of acquiring all of that first. Once you have that knowledge, experience and ability you will know just about exactly what equipment to buy.</p>

<p>About the word "professional". Sadly this word is loosing its meaning. It means so much more than just taking a pretty picture of pretty people for money. I do not agree with the cavalier notion that anyone who gets money for pictures is a professional. I expect far more that competent shooting from a working pro. There are talented hobbyists on this site who can shoot circles around some of the folks claiming to be professionals including me. They create spectacular work and display a maturity of judgment that would send me running to them to shoot my important project. They are not professionals solely because they have chosen not to do this for money. But the key is that they have acquired this skill, maturity and judgment through years of training, education and experience. They know the secret handshake and belong to the club. I would not hesitate to go to them for advice. </p>

<p>There is a story about a rich guy a few years ago who was a good golfer. As he approached the age of 50 he decided to retire and become a golf pro. He approached the best teacher in the game and said that he would spend whatever it would take if the professional instructor could help him prepare for the senior tour. The professional said that he would consider teaching him but that he had to understand one thing first. The teacher led him to the coffee shop at the golf course and pointed to a guy at the lunch counter. He said, "that is Ben Crenshaw. He has won on the PGA tour 19 times including two Master's. He is also training for the senior tour". <br>

I would feel a whole lot better about talking about your golf clubs if I knew that you were committed to learning how to play with the. </p>

<p> <br>

</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It really is amazing the bull that has to be sifted though to get an simple question answered.<br>

im not looking for stories im not looking for any advice or a bunch of blubbering individuals tell me a thing or two (only on equipment advice)..<br>

<br />I simply asked what do you have?(intended for those who have studios and pay the bills with their skills) here is my list of the things i am getting, now if you have a suggestion to add or remove or over all would like to give your opinion on specific product great, but the real deal is, i was under the impression that this forum was created by photographers for photographers, and that this community would be happy to advise without threts and downing my self or anyone else, I feel that i was ill-informed. <br>

I came to ask my question due to i assume and seems i was wrong many of you have your own photography business or do your freelancing, beyond all the junk and "gearhead" name calling, just wanted to get a feel for what you as a professional have found your self purchasing, 1 to get the job done, i understand each job to be done may inquire various different pieces of equipment... 2 equipment that help with the process, like a good tripod, yes an steady camera makes for a sharp image... <br>

<strong>The over all, i have one shot at this, its a one time deal to get what i need to continue on with my photography, that's in one time one deal all in one shot, What i have included in my list are the equipment at least once or twice a week i wish i had to make my photography and post processing smother and more effective for my self.</strong><br>

yes i want a full frame sensor, so sue me.. would it be nice to be in the middle of nowhere and not have to worrie about my batteries, yes it would be awesome! so im hiking up a cliff side and hey perfect opp to switch lens and grab that close up of a furry caterpillar, maybe i come across a moose and well i don't want to get to close so i slap on the 70-300... I mean really..... <strong>is it really that hard to grab the basic concepts here?</strong><br>

Why on green earth would anyone need a camera, Socrates objected to writing as worried that reliance on writing would erode memory (and that the same of images), but also, and maybe more importantly, that reading would mislead students to think that they had knowledge, when they only had data (seen a picture and you know what its like to be there?)<br>

anyway im going way off base here, over all i figured what better place to put such a question, but i was not prepared for such ignorance and incompetence within a forum by photographers for photographers.<br>

<strong>Over all i wanted to tank the few of you that were helpful in best ways you could </strong>, for some others you have made <strong>my first experience on a forum</strong> miserable and i wish not to return.</p>