Monday in Nature Weekly Photo July 28, 2014

Laura Weishaupt

<p>I plucked this guy out of a flower barrel before he could do much harm and remembering this forum's 'hand of man' rule I placed him on some milkweed for his photo op, and in so doing, ironically I completely ran afoul of that very rule. Doh!<br>

He is known as a Purplish-Brown Looper. This one was quite large and meaty. With very tiny claws fore and aft he was able to cling to my hand so tightly I had to forcefully pry him off, he was shake-proof.<br /><br>

</p><div>00cjZW-550081884.jpg.92dc430beb4255ac9ba13cdc520682e0.jpg</div>

<p>It's often fascinating to watch the 'Great Apes' at the zoo and realize how similar we are to them. This shot through glass in low light at full zoom (hence the softness) at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado captured an ape reacting to a thunderstorm that was rolling through. He eventually went indoors.</p><div>00cjZx-550082284.jpg.6f8f42b493767c256d57c963d0c7c0a5.jpg</div>

<p>Finally getting back to the forum. Funny how work seems to get in the way. Here's a prairie rose from the Bluestem Prairie (Nature Conservancy land) in western Minnesota near Fargo. Last April/May they had a controlled burn of the area, and it's amazing how the flora has come back. </p><div>00cja7-550083684.jpg.3d22f87ef80d6f1221afbd6f94f77f97.jpg</div>

<p>thanks Robert......watched these guy's for about half an hour going back and forth to their respective spots, grunting and eating after gnawing off some bark from a freshly downed tree.....they have a huge lodge about 1000 ft. away under an old beech tree</p>