Would you upgrade from the 5D to 6D?

mark_stephan2

<p>Looks like the great deal I got for my 5D might turn into a (costly?) repair problem. I've owned the body for less than 6 weeks and despite its problems I enjoyed my introduction to full frame. If the 5D is to costly or unrepairable I'll replace it with the 6D. I'm recently retired and I want this to be my last dSLR purchase for a long time. I'm a casual photographer, I don't shoot sports or fast moving wildlife. I have a 420EX Speedlite plus a few lenses which include the 50 f1.8II, 20-35 f3.5-4.5 and a 24-105L. I like street and environmental landscape photography. Is there anything the 5D has that I'll miss? Watching YouTube videos it looks like I can control the 6D remotely, would it work with my iPhone 5C? What other cool features does it offer? <br>

And lastly, when I was about to buy the 5D last month I asked Photo.net EOS members for their opinions and many of you told me to stay away from the 5D because of its age and the possibly of it being to old for Canon's repair service. I should have listened and gone with the 6D to begin with and saved a bunch of $$$! </p>

<p>I went from the 5D, skipping the II and III, and went with the 6D.<br>

The 6D feels more responsive. I always felt the 5D took too much pressure and travel distance to trip the shutter. The 6D shutter release is lighter and more responsive. Auto ISO is nice to have over the 5Dc. However, Canon is brain dead in their lack of EV compensation capability when in Manual mode with auto iso.<br>

As far as image noise, higher ISO is much better than the 5Dc. 1600 on the 5D is very good. 6,400 on the 6D amazes me. The 6D is smaller and lighter enough than the 5D that it's appreciated.<br>

Wifi was not important to me in deciding between the 5DMK3 and the 6D. I've used it several times now for work. Bonus.<br /> Cannot think of a single thing I miss from the 5D going to the 6D.<br>

The quite shutter mode is a great new feature over the 5D.<br>

Except for higher ISO, from 1600 down image quality is the same. All the gains come from the experience of using the camera.</p>

<p>My 5Ds proved utterly reliable, but of course all products will eventually wear out, and, especially if you do not know the history/wear on a particular unit, you can never predict when/where/what type a failure will occur. Of course, since you can find good condition 5D units in the $600 range (~1/3 of a new 6D), even if you bought another two to find a working/reliable unit, you'd have ~ the same out of pocket cost.</p>

<p>However, the 6D is a heckuva good camera. In your shoes, I'd have no qualms about choosing it, and it's great UH ISO performance, and exceptional center point AF sensitivity (-3ev) make it a go to for low light work. </p>

<p>There are only two things you <em>may</em> miss,<br>

a) (only if you pixel peep) - The 5D's output is exceptionally smooth at lower ISOs. If you put ISO100 RAWS (@ 100%) from a 5D & a 6D side by side, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. Of course given how much default NR is done on modern jpegs (in camera), most of the difference will disappear in a poof of algorithms as soon as the RAW is exported.<br>

b) is the size/ergonomics. the 6D is smaller, and, depending on your hands, that may make you prefer the size of the 5D. IMO this is as important (to some people) as any other characteristic of the camera. I would recommend you hold one before you buy one.</p>

<p>Aside from that, the 6D (aside from it's size) is a great upgrade to a 5D.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I "upgraded" from the 5DII, for three things - silent shutter, built in level and smaller size. Another factor is that it still allows one to use different screens (unlike the 5DIII). I focus manually with f1.4 and f2 lenses quite frequently, and the Eg-S screen is a big help here.</p>

<p>I am not disappointed. The 6D is the perfect size for me. I would have gone for the 5DIII but its larger size irritated me (I have no idea why Canon had to make it bigger than the 5DII) and I was just not prepared to slap down that many $ for an incremental improvement (if any) in image quality. I got the 6D for an excellent price and I have to say there is nothing I miss about the II compared to the 6D.</p>

<p>You will certainly enjoy it compared with the original 5D.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>I "upgraded" to the 5Dii after the 5Diii had come out. I certainly would not go to the 6D myself, but neither were the new features of the 5Diii especially important to me.<br>

The main thing I don't miss about the 5D(i) was the difficulty of keeping the sensor surface clean. Otherwise it was a more-than-adequate "FX" camera.</p>

<p>Yes, I'd upgrade from a 5D to a 6D. That's my plan, anyway. My only misgivings concern the user interface, but I have assurances from a few 6D owners that the multi-function wheel control thing on the back is so good that I won't miss the old controls. We'll see. In reality, I might not be in a position to upgrade until the 6D Mk II comes out! (My pockets aren't very deep.)</p>

<p>I shoot with both a 5D MKII and 6D and the 6D one ups the older camera in most but not all ways. 6D AF is certainly more responsive and amazing in low light. And while IQ is about the same below ISO 1600, the 6D flies pass the 5D2 after that. I thought the lack of a joystick would bother me but I actually found the multi controller more sure footed in selecting AF points. My only beef is placement: too far down the back, requiring a excessive of thumb movement.</p>

<p>The lack of a dedicated FEC button is the main gotcha for me. With the 5D2 I can adjust FEC while looking through the VF. With the 6D you have to look at the LCD, even if you assign FEC to the SET button. My 6D review:</p>

<p>http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/canon_eos6D.htm</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<blockquote>

<p> the multi-function wheel control thing on the back is so good</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Agree with your contacts - a complete non issue in my experience.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>lack of a dedicated FEC button</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Interesting about the FEC. I have it on "My Menu" and I don't find I need a dedicated button. We are all different...</p>

Robin Smith

<p>I shoot with the 5D and I got a 6D about 2 months ago. I still like the 5D more mainly because I'm use to the way it operates and the feel of the 5D, I like the size with the battery grip, the 6D with the battery grip doesn't feel as good to me and it's a little small. Hopefully over the next few months the 6D will feel better in my hands. The 6D does focus better in low light. I got the 6D mainly for low light work and it's very good at that but if you mainly shoot in the studio with strobes or outside in pretty good light the old 5D still kicks ass to me.</p>

This may be a very dumb comment on my part, but I think it bears clarifying that despite the increase in number the 5D

is on a category above the 6D. The only reason the 6D may be considered an upgrade is that it is of a much newer

generation. Of course, being in a category above doesn't mean it's better for everyone.

I think the OP understands all of the above, but some casual reader might get confused.

Canon's current dslr naming follows this pattern:

- 1 is the top of the line, formerly with two series, now coalesced

- 5 is next and newer generations have 'mk' numbers

- 6 is next

- 7 is next, it was supposed to be a new generation of the 6, but it isn't FF...

- x0 is next with x standing for the generation

- x00. x50 is next

<p>I went directly from a 5D (original) to a 6D. If I had the choice again I'd do exactly the same thing. <br>

The 6D's high ISO images are much better than the 5D. I don't even bother bringing a flash sometimes anymore because I can use indoor lighting without problems. Others commented on the joystick/multi-controller--I used that joystick all the time on the 5D, and yet I had completely forgotten about it until others mentioned it. So, for me at least, I don't miss it in the least on the 6D. <br>

One other thing that I don't think has been mentioned--the liveview on the 6D has made a world of difference for me. I didn't realize how much I would use it. For example, when doing portraits with f2 lenses I can quickly and immediately check that focus is correct before exposure (though, the AF has been fine for me--I rarely need to adjust). When doing landscapes, I can quickly zoom in and see whether everything I want to be in focus is. Again, I didn't realize how much I'd use that. For that alone, I would not go back to the 5D. </p>

<p>My 5D produced some beautiful pictures. However the 6D is a much advanced model. The high ISO files from the 6D far surpass what the 5D could do. ISO 3200 images on the 6D continue to amaze me. I also like the smaller size and grip of the 6D. Also, I feel the 6D is very reasonably priced when you compare it to the price of the 5DIII.</p>

<p>The multi-exposure noise reduction function alone makes it a worthwhile trade-up, Several other less discussed features as well. Also the new DPP v4.0 has a new algorithm to match the much improved sensors used in the 6D, and 5D Mkiii. GO FOR IT! You won't be disappointed.</p>