Would you buy a Canon refurbished lens from Adorama?

mark_stephan2

<p>I just ordered a 24-105L from Adorama. The lens is refurbished by Canon and it's a substantial savings versus a new lens. This is my first refurbished lens and first L lens and I'd like to know what to expect? Other than shipping in a white box, is it the same as a new lens? Is it used lens returned to Canon for repair? It'll be my main lens for my newly purchased 5D. </p>

<p>In my experience, equipment refurbished by Canon is indistinguishable from new. I suspect it's even a bit better than new, because a real, human technician has given it a thorough exam and has possibly corrected some defect in the process. When you buy new, quality control is less thorough.</p>

<p>I second Sarah's opinion. Over 10 years in the business and never have I purchased a new camera and only twice a brand new lens (and in retrospect, I'd have waited on those). Refurb lenses, and even used for that matter, will have some kind of warranty and return policy if purchased from a reputable retailer.</p>

All Canon refurbs come into us directly from the manufacturer. They can be 'change of heart' returns, ex-demo units - or

could have been removed from the automated system in the factory because something doesn't appear quite right.

They can't then be sold as 'new' but will have been examined by a highly-skilled technician before being sold as a refurb.

So in these circumstances you could get a unit that has literally never previously left the factory.

I've bought 3 Canon refurbs myself, and for sure all were factory fresh.

With all Canon refurb purchases from Adorama you get a 12-month warranty - which includes a 30-day return-to-

Adorama period for exchange or refund.

Helen Oster

Adorama Camera

Helen@adorama.com

<p>Not only would I, I did. I bought a Canon refurb 24-105 from Adorama some time ago because the price was very good (and Adorama is one of the merchants I trust). The lens was spotless, looked exactly like new, and functioned fine. The only sign that it was a refurb was a tiny, faint mark on the hood. I'd do it again without any hesitation, and in fact, the next time I need a lens, I'll look to see what refurbs they are offering.</p>

<p>Yes, I would. Looks like you got a deal at Adorama, canonusa.com wants $919 for a refurb 24-105, on top of that they collect tax which would be another 9% for me. I trust Adorama and B&H, I have a sense they have a joint company picnic in the summer, prices usually identical.</p>

<p>I not only second what Sarah Fox said, I third and fourth it, which is about the number of refurbs I have purchased over time. I also feel a refurb may actually be better than a new production line item because I suspect the lenses may have been tweaked or recollimated and brought up to top optical specs whereas the lenses on the assembly line may roll past a la Charlie Chaplin in Modern Times.</p>