I'm back

mountaineer1965

<p>After a very rough and dark period of my life I am "back in the saddle". Personal issues took their toll on me and I all but gave up photography. Now with the light at the end of the tunnel confirmed to NOT be a fully loaded locomotive steaming my way I am out taking photo's again with new enthusiasm and vigor...and to a certain extent some new ideas and avenues to explore.<br>

I'm posting this here for the main reason of soliciting advice on how to get more critiques on my images. I understand that not everybody wants to post feedback, some may not feel qualified, and some may not even know why they like or dislike an image, but it gets frustrating when I post a picture that I feel is strong on many levels and see it get average ratings in the 4's or low 5's. This is okay, really, but how am I to improve if I have no idea what someone else is "seeing" when they look at an image of mine. I am also looking to start selling my work and so feedback from the public I feel is critical.<br>

If you are new to PN, know that I myself would highly value and appreciate your comments and feedback on my photographs. "Great picture" is nice but as I am working on very specific things when I take and edit a picture then WHAT you like about it will help inform me if I am conveying what it is I'm trying to convey.<br>

In the end I really do photography because I love it; always have and always will. I also do it more for myself and the joy of looking back at some of my "adventures" into the wild. Even still I would really appreciate information as to what you have done or not done to help improve the amount of critiquing of your own images.<br>

Thank you all and I look forward to hearing from you.<br>

PS: I give my opinion on images that I rate, especially if rating low, even though sometimes I think I should keep my mouth shut :-) I'm always positive though and my intentions are always to help. Having said that, if you would like any feedback from me on any of your work I would be more than happy to do so.<br>

Take care,<br>

Craig</p>

<p>Hi Craig<br>

First of all delighted that you are "back in the saddle". Your experience sounds similar to my own so can see where you are coming from.</p>

<p>Just looking at the image on the post I am impressed. Looked at your portfolio briefly and my interested level was raised again, well done.</p>

<p>From my own experience getting feedback and ratings can be difficult I suspect because PN is such a large community and there are so many great images. I have found it helpful to critique, constructively, other images and people reciprocate.</p>

<p>Of course there are times when we all get an image 'wrong' for whatever reason and I suspect people do not like to express their opinions. I think I still have a nice image of a church with cows in the foreground complete with a fence post coming out of the head of one of the cows! I had not noticed the fence post :(</p>

<p>Please keep posting. When I get the time I will go through your images and post construictively.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Frank, thank you so much for your response. I tend to agree with you what you said and feel similarly about it. I am doing lots of critiquing for that reason and also it makes me look at a photograph for more than just "is this a nice photo". I find myself slowing down and really looking at the different aspects of the image and asking myself; what do like about it and why? What do I not like about it and why? Is it just personal preference or technique? I am really starting to enjoy this process especially when it comes to a category that I'm not to knowledgeable about or one that I do not particularly care for. I find that if I look at an image asking the "right" questions of myself, generally give a proper rating and critique. If I am unable to do so then I will not rate or critique the image. I also believe that this "thought process" is going to help make me a better photographer.</p>

<p>Thanks again for your response.<br>

Craig</p>

• 2 weeks later...