Df/D800E quandary or blessing

nikofile

<p>I have had my D800E for more than two years. I still believe it is the finest camera ever made, and I doubt the D810 will supplant it. Once I understood just what D800E resolution really meant I became completely comfortable with it. If you have a de-centered lens, and many are, the D800E will expose it. If you insist on shooting with non-cross type AF points, the D800E will expose <strong><em>you</em></strong>. But this is not a bad thing. Many times you will only see it if you zoom to 400%, and other image files fall apart at 200%. Downsized to 4200 pixels on the wide side, the images are simply a better D700, a much better D700. The AF system is excellent, compared to any other camera. However, no other AF system has to deal with images of such sharp detail and resolution, so it is easy to go off thinking you have something less than the best.</p>

<p>Having said all that, I prefer my Df in almost all cases. Except for low light photos it cannot match D800E images (as if any other camera could). But it is such a pleasing camera. Marvelous handling and feel. Beautiful images. It is a joy to use. I decided to sell my D800E, but I also decided I would only sell it to someone in person. I would require them to handle the camera, test it if they like, look it over, and only then would we exchange cash and camera. None of this internet stuff where people inevitably suffer buyer's remorse and start looking for excuses to return a camera. You like it, you buy it, you keep it, period.</p>

<p>And now something else has happened. I bought a like-new AI 200mm f4 lens and sent it to Nikon for complete cleaning and re-lube. Of course, I had to give it a try on the D800E. 200mm f4 images never looked this good. I have always believed a D800E makes any lens better, and this is the proof. So now I had to have a last spin with my 85mm 1.8G, which is the best lens I have used on my D800E, where AF is concerned. It is near perfect.</p>

<p>So now I don't want to sell my D800E. I don't need it anymore. I had a monumental medical event 3 weeks ago, and running around photographing events or whatever just isn't in the playbook anymore. Not even BIF. So I really don't need it. But it is kinda like throwing away a diamond. Who would do that? I am about to delete the craigslist thing, but I keep thinking, I really don't need this beautiful camera anymore.</p>

<p>Very sorry to hear about your medical event Roy.<br>

However I briefly handled a Df at a trade show and it looked and felt like a cheap, gimmicky toy to me. Nuff said in my book! If I really needed better low-light performance than I get from my D700 or D800, then I'd be saving my pennies for the phenomenally sensitive D4s. Unfortunately, by the time I save enough pennies there'll be something even better on the market for sure.</p>

<p>I got a Df when first introduced and had the D800 for over a year and a half at that point in time. Like you, I just love the Df and intended to sell the D800. But, couldn't do it. The D800 resolution has its place, for me it's macro and studio shots. Keeping both is a good way to go, if you can tolerate having that much $$$ tied up in two bodies.</p>

<p>So sorry to hear of your health issues.</p>

<p>BTW, I also have an AiS 200/4 that plays very well on the D800, but I like it better on the Df. Some of those Ai and AiS Nikkors still hold their own in modern DSLR bodies, that's for sure.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>BTW, I also have an AiS 200/4 that plays very well on the D800, but I like it better on the Df. Some of those Ai and AiS Nikkors still hold their own in modern DSLR bodies, that's for sure.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

I like it better on the Df as well, Dan. Not that the photos are better, or even as good. But the Df has the feel for MF lenses. It feels more natural, and it seems to me that the AF assist indicator is more prominent so that I don't have to look at it directly.</p>

<p>Hy Roy, and all the others. . . . . <em> <strong>"I bought a like-new AI 200mm f4 lens and sent it to Nikon for complete cleaning and re-lube. Of course, I had to give it a try on the D800E. 200mm f4 images never looked this good."</strong></em> It is not a surprise for me. I know that a long time, having the Nikon D3s, D4 & Df. I using manual old lenses, beginners not want to touch it, hard to sell them for pennies, and they are sharper lenses then the new, AF-S plastic lenses to day, a couple of exception. I using with very good results several old AI or AI converted lens, and I'm much happier with them, then some of the new lenses, compared with the bulk of new lenses. Just to pick a couple, one of my main lens I have on the D4 or D3s is the superior and very useful focal length, the 50-135mm f/3.5 AI-S lens. The 300mm f/4.5 ED AI-S also an excellent lens so is the 400mm f/5.6 AI-S. On the Df, the 28-50mm f/3.5 AI-S on all the time, super sharp, and the 135/2.8 and the 200/4 AI-S the usual package in a small shoulder bag, for easy walking. For wider angle shoots, I using the miniature in size 20mm f/3.5 or the even smaller 20mm f/4 AI. All of them with excellent results. I guess, all of the lenses mentioned here, would be excellent on the D800E too.<br /> To the other gentlimens; <strong>Nikon Df.</strong> You can't charge a camera, holding 1-2 minutes and make a statement. I don't like certain design on it, but, the camera solid like an old Nikkomat. like a tank, and the images producing is superior to anything before. Buy one, use it for a couple of months ( sorry it is not a camera for those Point and shooters.) and then, then give some comments of the camera.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do you need the money? If not just keep it and move on.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

Only if I wanted to buy something else frivolous. I think you are probably right. I can't think of anything bad resulting from keeping it.<br>

<br>

Thanks for the well wishes. I feel fine. I just have to avoid some things, but the nice thing about photography is all the ways you can go about enjoying it. And the Df is tailor-made for slow and relaxing.</p>

<p>Hi Alan. You right.<br>

Roy. Keep it, both of them. I'm 72 and very shortly going to be, I hope, 73 years old. My last trip was Namibia, last November, managed and hiked in the sand-dunes, with all the mussels and energy available to use it and survived, but from now, I have to go to places where I can reach subject by car. No hiking, no climbing anymore. Still shooting film too, and I cary two cameras most of the time, because I hate to change lenses. 17-35/2.8 and 50-135/3.5 AI-S, in the packet of my coat or vest, a prime 14/2.8 and the lovely 200/4 AI. I have the 24-70/2.8 but I don't like the focal length coverage. Hardly, ever, using it.<br /> Keep what ever you have, and go to shoot, what ever come up to you. And take care of your health. Loooooong life to you, you young men.<br /> Cheers.</p>

<p>I'm curious whether the 200mm f/4 Ai-S Nikkor was reformulated from the plain Ai version? From the mir.com site it appears they're optically identical, but the glass used may have been changed to a lower dispersion type.<br>

<br /> You see I have a 200mm f/4 Ai version that I was fond of using on the D700, but the D800 really shows up its flaws (lateral CA mainly). In fact I think my 80-200mm f/4 Ai-S zoom Nikkor is a better match to the D800, but a bit heavier and bulkier than the neat little 200mm prime.<br>

So I'm wondering if it's worth looking for an Ai-S version as an "upgrade" since they don't usually cost very much.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Roy I'm 66 now and had back surgery I can't climb or hike anymore so I take a lot photos while just walking around or near my car where there's a will there's away my friend. Keep em both.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

Know what you mean, Alan. I'm 71, but I still work full time, or I did. I am still surprised that it happened to me. I have none of the indicators for heart problems, nor the family history.<br>

<br>

I think I will keep it. It is a marvelous thing, and mine is US serial number 30005xx, one of the earliest. I don't like using AF lenses on my Df, so I need something to hang them on anyway.<br>

<br>

I don't believe there is optically any difference in the AI vs AI-S 200mm f4. The mount is slightly different, naturally. But it is otherwise the same according to all the info I found. Ken Rockwell says the AI-S difference only comes into play for the Nikon FA, and I don't have one of those. One cosmetic difference is that the DOF scale was put on chrome, according to a source in New Zealand.<br>

Regardless, it is a beautifully made lens. I really love portraits from this lens.</p>

<p>You have a quandary with the D-800E, and you have such an understanding of the issues, but maybe at this point it would be best to sleep on it a little more regarding letting the D-800E go. Also I've noticed throughout my contacts with Df owners, it appears that the Df is providing a re-prioritizing of Photographers perception of their own Photography. If this proves to be true, Nikon was right from the beginning in bringing this tool to fore. I'm getting ever so closer to a Df, just can't wait, soon. The Df is has become clearer, and clearer, but I no longer make money with a camera either.</p>

<p>You youngsters! I'm 72 and have found that you never run out of material just steps from the car or down a pleasant path. I don't miss packing 60 lbs into the mountains for a week. Glad i did it, but there is a rich life within arms reach.</p>

<p>Lot's of friendly passion in this thread - so why don't I chime in comparably? ;-)<br />I have a D800 now, and still own (and use) D200 and 300. Coming from slide film in F3 and F4.. The D800 is indeed absolutely wonderful. Unequaled resolution (in this size camera) and very responsive.<br /> <br />I feel privileged enough to own the 50/1.4 AFS, 24-70/2.8 AFS and 70-200/4.0 AFS now as well, which covers practically every 'reporting style' situation. But the 'special forces' are called in just as often (and recently not enough - I do not photograph nearly as much as I 'should'..). 20/3.5, 24/2.8, 50/2.0, 55/3.5m, 85/2.0, 105/2.8m, 200/4.0, and 400/3.5...<br />But.. admittedly.. I <em>VERY</em> much like the feel of the 85 and 200.. But I am not wildly enthousiastic about their performance on the D800.. The others do very well and I would recommend them without hesitation. These two.. nice 'softness'.. bit of CA colour fringing.. Mm.. They don't inspire right now. I also have the 200 Ai - see post by Rodeo Joe.</p>

<p>The D800 is a lovely camera and there really is little 'wrong' with it! If you do not have to choose.. keep it together with de Df. Those are iconic camera's. But so are my F3 and F4.. and they are gathering dust.</p>

<p>O.. and I am only 44..</p>

<p>Interesting remarks here concerning a number of Nikkor AI / AI-S lenses. Generally a lot of praise for the 200/4.0. But what surprised me is no mention at all of the <strong>180/2.8 ED AI-S</strong>. I have never used the 200/4.0 but have used the 180/2.8 for several years (on D200, D700 & D800). It is a fantastic lens and suffers in no way when used on the D800. However, after 82 years of wandering around this planet, hand-held shots with this lens are out of the question. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Interesting remarks here concerning a number of Nikkor AI / AI-S lenses. Generally a lot of praise for the 200/4.0. But what surprised me is no mention at all of the <strong>180/2.8 ED AI-S</strong>. I have never used the 200/4.0 but have used the 180/2.8 for several years (on D200, D700 & D800). It is a fantastic lens and suffers in no way when used on the D800. However, after 82 years of wandering around this planet, hand-held shots with this lens are out of the question.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /> The 180mm is a great lens, no doubt. Just a little large for me and the Df. I have the 70-200 VR, but I would only use it for certain occasions.</p>

<p>What I really want right now is the 28mm 2.8 AI-S. I got the 20mm recently, and it is so much fun to use.</p>

<p>I too have had a "monumental" medical event and here's my advice, for what its worth. It is never a real good idea to attempt to predict the effects that these life changing events will have on you, it is far too easy to argue yourself into dilemmas like the one you've just invented, i.e. to sell or not to sell. </p>

<p>In fact, there is another way of looking at the situation, you will see the world differently, so everything becomes new again, you won't be able to predict what you will feel the need to photograph now or the form those expressions will take - so sell nothing and just enjoy the journey.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I too have had a "monumental" medical event and here's my advice, for what its worth. It is never a real good idea to attempt to predict the effects that these life changing events will have on you, it is far too easy to argue yourself into dilemmas like the one you've just invented, i.e. to sell or not to sell.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

Thanks. I already had the idea before I had the attack. But afterwards I felt I had even less use for the camera. Still, I have decided to keep it. It is a special camera.</p>

<p>Our avocation is great at not closing doors to what we can do with it. As a 77 year old with a pacemaker, back surgery and the usual assortment of "experience" acquired infirmities my limitation is in my vision (not eyesight) or skill, not my physical abilities. My days of carrying my D800 with its trio of lenses and the Gitzo series 3 tripod on long hikes may be past, but I've found no shortage of landscapes within comfortable and easy walking distance for my Nikon gear. I'm not using some of my lenses as much any more, but my 85 mm f/1.8 for portraits, and my 105 mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor for butterflies and flowers are getting a lot more use. My concession for travel is to purchase a Fujifilm X-T1 with an assortment of lenses with equivalent focal lengths to my trio of Nikon glass. I wouldn't sell any thing until you settle in as your photography interest evolves. Just keep enjoying this gift of photography.</p>

<p>I would think your 800 would be perfect for slow and relaxing, using some kind of camera support. It sounds like the camera is more difficult for fast shooting. Maybe you should just keep it. But then, use the camera that gives you joy:)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The AF system is excellent, compared to any other camera.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The D800 (and E) do many things well. Its resolution, dynamic range, shadow noise, white balance, and auto exposure accuracy are the best of any camera that I have ever used. Contrast detection autofocus in Live View is amazingly accurate as long as your subject isn't moving.</p>

<p>But I cannot agree that the phase detection autofocus system is "excellent, compared to any other camera." My 5D Mark III focuses MUCH more accurately and reliably than my D800E. The D800E is my primary camera. But when reliable autofocus will make or break the shot, I reach for the Canon. If you have a chance to compare the two side by side, as I have on many occasions, the difference will be obvious.</p>

<p>I've never used a Df, so I can't comment. I'm glad that the OP likes his.</p>