Advice on buying a new camera?

<p>I am looking to get a simple point and shoot digital camera, at an entry level price (200 and under). I had a Nikon Coolpix L22 (12.0MP and 3x zoom) that I was happy with, but which I lost in a move back home. Basically, I'm just looking for a simple entry level digital camera, that will take good, crisp, high quality, HD photographs and videos. Could you guys give me some recommendations?</p>

<p>Best recommendation I can offer is to go to a dealer/store and look at, and test the ergonomics. Ifit doesn't feel right, you will use it less. Have you thought about a smartphone?</p>

<p>Stephen's point about a smartphone has more merit than you might think, maybe. I have a simple Panasonic entry-level camera, specs much similar to your Nikon... and my Nokia smartphone simply delivers better photos. The only thing lacking is zoom (which I used little on the Panasonic, but obviously that is personal). And I always carry my phone anyway, so it's far more often a useful camera to me.<br>

Otherwise... to be honest, cameras in this price-range are all very much alike. I tend to prefer Canons myself, thei Ixus/Elph models tend to be quite good.</p>

Nikon makes a bunch of Coolpix models and one is sure to fit your needs. I used to own a Nikon Coolpix 5000 series about five years ago, used it for a while, then gave it to a relative, and it still is chugging along. You know the brand, so stick with one of them. Affordable price and a size to fit your needs in the lineup. There are so many out there I agree you need to handle a few that meet your needs. Our COSTCO has a good display and attractive prices and some competing brands of P and S. Especially since you don't need a long zoom ratio, the world is your oyster. Good luck

<p>Even the simplest camera will have a larger sensor than a smartphone and likely a better zoom lens too. Sensor size is a key spec for image quality, more than megapixels. Three you might like include these:<br>

<br /> Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX300, <br />Canon PowerShot ELPH 340 HS, <br />Nikon COOLPIX L620</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>Mr. Posner's advice is apt. If you want considerably higher quality than your smartphone can give, or that of an entry level point and shoot, you may have to spend a bit more than what you envisage. In such case you can find a few examples which, with slightly larger sensors (but still smaller than APS or micro 4/3rds) and better control of noise, may provide that quality. It really depends on the level of quality (and final print size) you may be looking for.</p>

Another view... I know it's outside of your price range. But if you think you might want to try other

lenses in the future, this is a killer deal and camera (with larger APS-C sensor) for the price of $299, and can be used as

a point-n-shoot in auto mode:<P>

<a href= "http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753766-

REG/Canon_5757B002_EOS_Rebel_T3_Digital.html/?

m=Y&gclid=CMXR8uuItL8CFUlqfgodiGEANQ">Canon EOS Rebel T3 DSLR Camera and 18-

55mm IS II</a>

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Agree with Brad. Talked my neighbors into one which they got for a bit less from a local drug store chain. Vastly better than a p&s for not much more. They splurged on a 50/1.8 and can't stop crowing about the kid pix it produces. The Rebel is small and very easy to use. Pay a bit more to get way more camera?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Pay a bit more to get way more camera?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No doubt this is true. The question is what's the tipping point where <em>way more camera</em>, even if only slightly more expensive, is too much more camera for someone who opened this saying, "looking to get a simple point and shoot digital camera, at an entry level price." The Canon PowerShot ELPH 340 HS I mentioned earlier is under $200.00, weighs 5.2 oz and is really pocketable go-anywhere camera. The recommended Rebel T3 dslr with 18-55 "kit" lens costs $299.00, weighs half a pound and comes with a 290 page owner's manual. It is capable of a lot more, no doubt about it. The question only the OP can answer for himself is where he draws the line. <br>

YMMV<br>

Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video