The science of selfies

<p >A fascinating look at selfies from 5 major cities across the world. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Quoted from the site:</p>

<p >Selfiecity investigates <em >selfies</em> using a mix of theoretic, artistic and quantitative methods:</p>

<ul>

<li>We present our findings about the demographics of people taking selfies, their poses and expressions.</li>

<li>Rich media visualizations (imageplots) assemble thousands of photos to reveal interesting patterns.</li>

<li>The interactive selfiexploratory allows you to navigate the whole set of 3200 photos.</li>

<li>Finally, theoretical essays discuss selfies in the history of photography, the functions of images in social media, and methods and dataset.</li>

</ul>

<p><a href="http://selfiecity.net/">http://selfiecity.net/</a> </p>

<p>In 1986 I took an Ansel Adams workshop and David Bayles, Eugene, Oregon, was one of the instructors. David took 'selfies' with everyone there. This was 1986. Selfies aren't new. </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Selfies aren't new."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Everyone knows selfies aren't new, but insightful people will quickly identify the recent mass creations of selfies as an important social phenomena worthy of study, and that's what this site is about. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Matt Laur: "<em>Bah - Selfies are so 2013. All the cool kids are taking Dronies now</em>."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>lol! Given what appears to be the intelligence level of the average contemporary selfie taker, I doubt that piloting a drone is within their capabilities. </p>

<p>Lex ... I learnt that message early on when trying to fly a Quadcopter recemtly and it seemed to leap at me and I got a little cut to my finger fending it off. The blades though four in number are rather smaller than that choppers'</p>