Condensation

rmuckey

<p>Questions re: bringing equipment in from the cold (single digits and teens for highs this past week in the NE US) and preventing/dealing with condensation when brought back into warm environments. I checked some past questions but they seemed to geared more to dealing with warm and humid climates and/or storage issues, so I thought to put the question to those of you that deal with similar winter conditions. <br>

Perhaps I'm being too anal as camera(7D) and some of the lens(L series) are said to be "resistant" but seems to be more to keep moisture/dust out whereas this is moisture vapor condensing on cold articles and the equipment can no longer be said to be in "factory condition":-) . I used to strip and wipe parts with an oil cloth when I used to hunt (after they got to room temp). There didn't seem to be any issues with moisture forming inside the "better" scopes but was with moisture elsewhere and therefore the area of concern. <br>

I put my equipment in "dry bags" like for camping or pelican case(with desiccant pods) after returning but wonder if I should be putting equipment in the case prior to entering the house(glasses fog up immediately) . Probably better to put the equipment in cases before entering but which would be better - cases at room temp or at the colder end?<br>

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions,<br>

Bob</p>

<p>If you think about it - if you bring a cold item into a warm room, what happens-moisture, contained in the warm air, condenses on the surface of the cold item. Apply that to your situation, and you will note that the preferred method would be to place the cold items in cold containers, then seal them before bringing them into the warm air. Let them reach room temperature before opening them. You will get moisture condensing on the outside, but if you sealed them properly outdoors you won't have moisture condensing inside the container.</p>

<p>Bob,<br>

You'll likely get many different and varied answers. Sort of like asking the best way to clean a lens.</p>

<p>I know this has been discussed many times in the past but, I think to sum it up basically, and, avoid all that research to previous threads, as I recall one of the methods most mentioned is when leaving a warm environment, putting your equipment in a bag (like a food storage Zip Lock as a example) which offers the equipment adequate time to adjust to the variance in temperature. And, doing the same when returning from the outside cold air to the warm air indoors. Assuring that it has adequate time to adjust to the ambient temperature before removing it from the bag.</p>

<p>That said, . . . the best I can offer is what I do . . . right or wrong but, I haven't had any issues over many years.</p>

<p>My methods come from dealing with some Tropical climate while doing mostly Underwater work in the South Pacific over a two year span. Transferring equipment from Air Conditioned storage to the much higher outdoor temperature and humidity levels.<br>

And, . . .<br>

Since the early 80's living primarily in the Midwest from around Kansas City to Tulsa. And doing mostly wildlife photography which offers some if its best opportunities during the colder months of the year.</p>

<p>Long story short, . . . .and, . . . I know I'm gonna get flamed! But, here goes anyway!</p>

<p><strong>For the most part, my Canon 50D,</strong> <em>(that was purchased when the 50D first hit the market (I think like 2007 or 2008)),</em> <strong>several lenses</strong> <em>(most not "weather sealed" and much older than the 50D)</em> <strong>and some other accessories reside in my padded LowePro Backpack in the trunk of my car nearly year around!</strong></p>

<p>When I do expose my gear to severe temperature changes like bringing it indoors, I don't open the padded bag for at least 2-3 hours giving it time to adjust to the ambient temperature of the current environment. And, I usually leave it in a cooler area of the house.<br>

When I rarely do bring the equipment indoors and/or then plan to go afield the following day, I return it to the trunk of my car the night before.</p>

<p>When I was in the Tropical climate of Guam, I pretty much did the same thing except instead of a car trunk, it was the Underwater Housings, and the Trunk with padding that was used as the Camera/Housing case.<br>

It's very similiar, back then with the Underwater Housings, film changes and removal was done when the equipment was at the ambient temperature of the environment just as I currently do with my CF cards. When I've been out shooting for the day in cold weather, the only thing that goes indoors is the CF cards and possibly the batteries for recharging.</p>

<p>Its worked fine for me!</p>

<p>However, my car is silver in color which reflects the heat from the Sun, and becomes more important in the Summer months.<br>

I don't do any lens changes unless I know the gear is all at ambient temperatures.</p>

<p>On a final note, . . . I wouldn't put too much stock in the "Weather Sealing" claims of much of today's equipment, and when I'm shooting during snow, fog, or rain I do keep a hand-towel and dry my equipment frequently.</p>

<p>For the most part, . . . avoid exposing open/unprotected gear to the environments and circumstances in which your Eye Glasses fog up!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well, where are you and what are you seeing when you bring your equipment in? I'm in Colorado and it's not a problem when bringing equipment into the house. However, when shooting from my car-blind, I keep the windows rolled down, lest I fog a lens when I hang it out side in -17 Fahrenheit. We have relatively low humidity, of course, so you might have more trouble where you are.</p>

<p>I still own a 7D and it gets no special treatment. It's up near 100,000 shutter releases and it's been out in lots of really cold weather and gets snowed on regularly. I'll wipe it off after it gets wet with rain or snow.</p>

<p>Where I live this is a common "problem" since I often use my camera out in the winter cold (likely -5 to -25 Celsius). It is very easy to deal with. You just put your camera and equipment in an ordinary plastic bag outside in the cold air. Close it with a rubber band or a string. You can for example mount your camera on your tripod and put a plastic bag over the camera and tripod mount. Then close it around the tripod mount with the rubber band or string. Or just put your camera bag with the camera and all lenses in a larger plastic bag. You should press out most of the air in the bag since it then will warm up faster. It is important to close the bag before you enter into the warmth. When the camera and the air in the bag warms up, the relative humidity of the air in the bag will fall and dry up any leftover water/snow residues. You should leave the camera in the bag until it is warmer than the dewing point inside your house (dewing point is the temperature where water will start condensing, for example on a glass of cold water). Remember to take out the memory card. If not, you will either have to wait til the camera is warm enough or go out, remove the memory card and seal the bag again.<br>

The temperature of the plastic bag (or case if you prefer) is not important. It is the air that goes into it together with the camera that must come from outside.</p>

<p>Best wishes<br /> Frode Langset<br /> (And excuse my English. It is not my native language)</p>

<p>My thanks to all! I will make sure I put camera & lens in pelican case or dry bag BEFORE I take them into the house as was my guess. My main concern was moisture forming inside the camera body from condensation as I carry a "camp towel"(very absorbent and quick drying - found in camping supply stores) to take care of moisture on the outside of equipment.<br>

When hunting, we used to leave the guns out by the back door(unloaded of course) when we came in for lunch or coffee and didn't bring them in until the end of the day. Though I live in a safe,rural area, I am not comfortable with leaving anything of much value in my pick-up(no trunk) , even when locked, so it's brought in upon arrival.<br>

Frode - well said and written, thanks for your effort!<br>

Bob</p>