Has anyone see this from China on D600 ?

User_6502147

<p>That camera is a blighted product and has been since it came on the market. I love Nikon and its products but this one was a mistake IMHO. I think There was too much of a rush to put a FF camera on the market in that price range. I truly hope this gets worked out.</p>

<p>PS; T truly love my d7100.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>John, I'd count yourself as one of the lucky ones....and you gotta take out that leaf from the beautiful model's left nostril...:-)</p>

<p>This just goes to show what happens when Nikon live in Denial-Land....and then have a 'selective' approach to Customer Care in different countries.</p>

<p>...and as if it <em><strong>still</strong></em> hasn't sunk in, the party-line of....</p>

<blockquote>

<p>At Nikon Imaging (China) Sales Co in Huangpu District, Hu Jiarong, a senior manager, said it was too early to say whether the D600 cameras have a quality problem. <br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>...........sadly sums up the Nikon corporate attitude.</p>

<p>Interesting sales figures too.</p>

<p>Mike, <br /><br />All camera sensors are going to get dust on them at some stage and if your a serious photographer as I guess anyone who is looking at buying s D600 would be then they should know how to wet clean their sensor it's not that difficult. If I am one of the lucky ones then no disrespect but it is only because I know how to clean my camera.<br /><br />I agree Nikon haven't handled the issue as professionally as one would have expected but I also believe the issue has been exaggerated as well. <br /><br />This wasn't a model but a bride at her wedding, fair point about the leaf :)<br>

<br />Cheers<br>

John</p>

<p>Everyone has dust and, although Nikon has never, ever mentioned oil or wet spots, very few have oil or wet spots....and that's what some D600 users who have never removed the lens report.</p>

<p>The power of the internet to exaggerate a 'problem' has been with us a while, so I wonder why the poor old D600 got/gets a right hammering when ALL DSLRs have, and will always have, dust spots?</p>

<p>Don't get me wrong Mike. The D600 has got an oil splatter problem that has been well documented and proved. What I am saying that it is easily removed with a wet clean and does settle down after a while, different numbers have been floated but regardless of what this number is. A few wet cleans is all that is required. Should you need to do this to a new camera defiantly not.</p>

Thereis also the renewed and intensifying geo-political conflict between China and Russia at play here and a state-run

media channel will always be on the lookout for any means of striking out at a nationally foe. To be fair Nikon has brought

this on with an unusual technological misstep with the D600 shutter issue but Japan's ultra-nationalist Prime Minister who

has visited a controversial shrine to Japan's dead soldiers and continued denial of taking responsibility for the war crimes

committed by the Imperial Japanese Army during their invasion of China, combined with current saber-rattling in Japan,

and the territorial dispute over some very small islands (China is trying to grab them), and China's intensifying imperialist

aggression in Asia and the oceans are at play here.

<p>My D800E also had oil spots at first. A wet cleaning (actually 3 to get rid of the smears) took care of them and they haven't returned. The sensor shake seems to work well to remove dust (which i will occasionally see for a shot and then it's gone). My D7000 never had an issue with oil, and dust was quickly removed by activating the sensor shake just like the D800E.</p>

<p>My understanding of the D600 is that some cameras would continue to get oil splatters after not much additional use. That would be a major issue if you shoot a few thousand frames in a day (not me). You could clean the sensor before a shoot and have bad oil splatter by the end of the day. That does seem to be a big issue, at least to me. Imagine the spotting on 2000 wedding photos.</p>

<p>It is really frustrating to have invested my hard earned money ( like all of us) on a faulty product.<br>

I've had my D90 for over 3 years and not once I saw the problem for dust/ oil on sensor. D600 showed the problem at about 1200 shots. Now ( closing to 6000 shots) the problem is very prominent even at f11. I am going to the Nikon repair center this weekened although I have no high hopes but lets see what they do.I bought the camera in India but am living in China so am not sure if they will entertain my request...will update you guys soon<br>

At this point I can only say big MNC don't give a damn about customers , only the money...which they already got from us.</p>

<div>00cSd2-546380084.thumb.jpg.d1f3404066af86def18d4bf482da5764.jpg</div>

<p>Kushagra, You have just proved my point. I also have a D90 in fact two of them and also never noticed any dust / oil spots on them. That is until I went looking for them, taken a shot of the sky at f/22 with my D90's showed that they had more spots than my D600 ever had. Granted my D90 are 4 years old now and have over 100k clicks each. <br /><br />My point is that all the hype over the D600 oil spots has got everybody studying their photos from their D600 with a magnifying glass and reporting every single occurrence of spots. Yes the D600 has a oil splatter problem but it is easily fixed and in most cases would go unnoticed if we all didn't go looking for the dreaded spots.<br /><br />John</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My point is that all the hype over the D600 oil spots</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So, the "fact" is that this is just a hype? So much so that Nikon has to design a new camera all together to replace D600, and openly tell D600 customers to send in their cameras for inspection? If the problem were just a bad batch of shutter, they just have to recall a specific lot of cameras but the fact that they need to design a new camera with apparently a new shutter tells me that the problem is in the design itself. </p>

<p>Let's get this right. We are now in March, 2014, and some authority in China has just ordered Nikon to stop selling the D600, which was discontinued and replaced by the D610 in early October, 2013: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00c3Jd</p>

<p>That was over 5 months ago. Obviously Nikon had planned the D610 at least a few months prior to the official announcement, so there was plenty of time for Nikon to sell the remaining D600, before as well as after the D610 announcement.</p>

<p>Maybe Nikon still has some refurbished D600 remaining, but they can't possibly have a whole lot of new D600 for sale, in China or elsewhere, anyway.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>This Chinese action is certainly driven by political, not consumer, issues.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This may very well be true, but a fundamental question is: should Nikon continue to sell D600 period? We can still order a brand new D600 from Amazon in the US, for example, should any body buy? Nikon never explains what the problem is. How many D600s are affected and can this be fixed? If this can be fixed, say so and fix so. If this cannot be fixed, then Nikon should not sell a defective product. I assume these cameras on Amazon are grey market products. If one buys one and later find excessive oil on the sensor, will Nikon fix/replace it? Most likely they won't, and in this case it seems obvious that Nikon is still making money by selling defective D600 and they do not have to worry about USA warranty (some argues this is why Nikon, or any other companies, willingly allows the sale of grey market products).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If one buys one and later find excessive oil on the sensor, will Nikon fix/replace it? Most likely they won't, and in this case it seems obvious that Nikon is still making money by selling defective D600 and they do not have to worry about USA warranty (some argues this is why Nikon, or any other companies, willingly allows the sale of grey market products).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>CC Chang, have you read Nikon's D600 service advisory, from just last month? http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00cPdz</p>

<p>Nikon has made it very clear that they will fix D600 with the dust issue essentially forever, not limited by any warranty expiration. All these warranty repairs are very costly to Nikon and also generate a lot of frustrations to customers. Maybe some repair technicians got a lot of extra business/work/income. Otherwise, it is in nobody's interest.</p>

<p>In some occasions, if Nikon is unable to repair a D600, they would give them a new D600 or even a D610. Of course Nikon doesn't want to advertise it because some people would try to take advantage and get a free D610 upgrade.</p>

<p>Nikon handled the situation poorly for sure. The fact that the Chinese govt. is suddenly concerned about quality control/consumer protection is humorous to say the least though. Purely political.</p>

Shun Chung: my point was about what

to do with those grey market D600s

that are still on sale. Will Nikon cover

them in the US? All defective products

should be off the market, shouldn't

they, grey or not? Some may say

Nikon has no control over grey market

products which only Nikon knows how

far they should go to protect their

customers and reputation.

<p>CC Chang, all defective products should be off the market, but not every D600 is defective. As far as I know, the majority of D600 bodies have no unusual problems, but even 20% to 30% do, that is an unusually high number. Unfortunately, it is not possible to test every item thoroughly before they are sold; the cost for doing so would have been extremely high.</p>

<p>Each Nikon DSLR is warrantied by Nikon or by the official importer for the country it is intended to be sold. If you willingly choose to buy gray-market products to save money, you should check with the seller about warranties. Worst comes to worst, you need to ship it back to the Nikon in the country that is responsible for that particular item. That is the inconvenience you'll get when you choose to save money and buy gray. I have willingly bought a number of gray-market Nikon lenses from B&H, and they provide their own warranty. I was fully aware of such inconveniences.</p>

<p>You simply can't have it both ways. If you choose to bypass Nikon USA (or whatever country you happen to be in) and buy gray so that they don't make any money on the item you purchase, you can't turn around and expect them to fix it for free. If you want Nikon USA to be responsible for warranty service, you need to buy Nikon USA products.</p>

<p>If D600 is not fundamentally defective, IMO, Nikon should have just issued a recall, better yet, if they know the serial numbers of those affected units, they can limit this to a specific fraction of the D600s. Then they should tell people that the problem has been discovered and fixed in all current/future D600. By not telling people what is wrong with the D600 and by introducing the D610 ahead of the schedule, Nikon has left people with the impression that D600s are beyond help, so bad that they need to replace it with a different model. For me personally, I wouldn't even take a D600 if given to me for free b/c I don't want to deal with all the hassle. If enough people think like me, this will greatly and negatively impact the resell values of D600s, affecting all existing D600 owners. Thus, political or not, it is not unreasonable for China to ask Nikon to stop selling D600s because the lack of clarity from Nikon about the overall quality of D600.</p>

<p>20-30% defective units are not bad on its own, stuff happens. If the problems are fixable, and Nikon offers to fix all the defective units, the integrity of the model (and the brand) will be maintained.</p>

<p>CC Chang, we have gone through all of those arguments before. Typically, DSLRs have a 3 to 5% defective rate. I have no data about exactly what percentage of D600 is defective, but something like 20% is possible and that is very far from the norm and serious. However, if Nikon makes a recall, the other "good" 80% have to go back as well for no reason. It simply makes no sense. Two years ago, there was a lot of discussion about the D800's left AF issue. I used two different ones and neither one had any problem. If they were recalled, I would have been very pissed off because I would lose the usage of them for weeks, and worse yet, Nikon repair could screw up two perfectly working cameras.</p>

<p>There is also no serial numbers for defective D600. I used one of the earliest D600 for a month and half and that camera had a little more dust if I check at f22 but nothing I would worry about. However, in a few cases certain D600 have gone back to Nikon for multiple repairs and apparently the problem persists.</p>

<p>It turns out that replacing the D600 with the D6100 is a smart move for Nikon. Now China is banning the sales of the D600 but the D610 is no affected, and consumers can buy the D610 without any concerns of the previous problem. However, being born Chinese myself, I think the whole act to ban the sale of a model that was discontinued 5+ months ago is just a joke. If they want to go something that has an effect, they should ban the sale of all Nikon cameras for a while. However, Nikon has a few factories in China. If the Chinese government is too unfriendly, Nikon can always shift production to another country. Nikon also has factories in Thailand and Indonesia. I am sure those countries, plus many others, are more than happy to take those jobs away.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>However, if Nikon makes a recall, the other "good" 80% have to go back as well for no reason. It simply makes no sense.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>But this happens to cars all the time, when they do not know which batch of product is defective. My 2012 Odyssey went back to be inspected for a possible air bag problem, but it was fine. What makes cameras special? I guess we just have to agree that we disagree on how Nikon has handled it.</p>