Sioux Center

Two23

<p>I finished out a roll of Foma 100 that I've had sitting in my vintage 1942 Leica IIIc since last fall, and picked it up today. There were a few shots on it I kind of liked. Here's one that makes no sense at all until I tell you the story. Shot was taken in Sioux City, Iowa, a small town in extreme northwestern Iowa. The population is mostly Dutch ancestory. These are naturally frugal people who don't like to waste <em>anything!</em> I was attracted to a trash container sitting out by the curb that had a selection of old shoes sitting on top. I took a look at them--they were well worn but not to the point of being worn out. Some were smaller sizes making me think they were outgrown by older children. They had been carefully washed before being set out with the trash! </p>

<p>I took a photo with my Leica IIIc and pre-1932 5cm Elmar, and considered what I was seeing. Imagine the dilemma of a Dutch mother not really wanting to keep the old shoes, but not really wanting to throw them away either as they were still usuable. Her solution was to wash and "display" them out by the curb, on top of the weekly trash. It made sense to me. She wanted to get rid of them and her solution was to see if any passers-by might take them for free! The photo itself is pretty uninteresting, but I think there is quite a story behind it that reveals a bit about life in these small towns.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p><div>00cRlT-546177584.jpg.a1007c4f80ac133c35f81b4f17555d00.jpg</div>

<p>Should be "The Shoe Centre".... I live in a similar small town, with several people down my road mounting boxes at their gate and a sign saying "Free Vegetables". I think small towns tend to retain many of the values we all cherish, despite the lack of the "privacy" we seem to seek, these days. With privacy comes isolation and loneliness, in many instances. Thanks for a thoughtful post,<strong> Kent</strong>.</p>

<p>I grew up in a small town in Iowa and had "thrifty" German relatives. So I really relate to this photo. I think it is great. The Good Book says "waste not, want not." I wonder if that "save, not spend", "make do and don't buy new" is behind the fact that I "rescue" old analog camera gear and have around 75 cameras and loads of lenses, flashes (bulb and electronic), and enlargers, not to mention a dozen first-class enlarging lenses. Old habits die hard.<br>

If I could just get three screws and a back hood to complete my built-from-parts "FrankenGraphic" Crown Graphic....</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The photo itself is pretty uninteresting</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't think so, myself. You spotted a picture that tells a story. OK, you had to add to the story with some text but that's perfectly normal. Yes, you could have composed it to emphasise the shoes a bit more but the story is there: the bin, the shoes, the background.</p>

<p>I'd call that a job well done.</p>

<p>I like the photo because it tells the story. Okay, maybe not a Pulitzer winner but nice all the same. This is a common practice here too. If I have items I don't want but don't want to try and sell they go out by the mailbox. Either someone picks them up (nearly always) or the trash truck gets them.</p>

<p>Rick H.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Yes, you could have composed it to emphasise the shoes a bit more but the story is there: the bin, the shoes, the background.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Now admittedly into subjective questions of "art": I wouldn't even have recommended emphasising the shoes, at least not to the exclusion of the houses. One can see that the houses appear to be tidy, no-nonsense middle-class homes. (Yes, I realize that probably neither house is the one whose bin it is, but rather their neighbours. Still it gives a clue as to the neighbourhood demographics.) Had the bin been on a street of palatial mansions, that could be a story (apparently wealthy person, trying to give away things, out of guilt?). If it had been in front of a row of small, unkempt houses in disrepair, still perhaps a story (despite being apparently of limited means, the person is trying to help others even less fortunate?). I concur, job well done.<br>

<em>--Dave</em></p>

<p>Very interesting picture, because of the story. I didn't realize it until I saw this, but our condominium does the same thing. We have buildings with common hallways. Apartment style condos. In the main floor common area there is a bench, where folks will leave stuff (rule of thumb is 4 days) if you want it, take it. After 4 days the original owner dumpsterizes it. Great practice. I never found that Leica, but we have gotten some decor items for the house.</p>

<p>In Fargo, ND, there is a week in which the city promises they will pick up absolutely anything from the curb and take it to the dump for free. People lay out everything very neatly. Then, people drive around in pickups and flatbeds, and pick over the refuse before it goes to the dump. I'd guess half of the stuff you put out will get re-used, and half will go to the dump.<br>

Recycling at its finest!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>..Dutch ancestory. These are naturally frugal people who don't like to waste <em>anything!</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I must say that is indeed a pretty good observation about the Dutch, though you won't see these scenes much in the Netherlands itself anymore (at leats when I left that country about 5 years ago). So maybe in a way, it's also testament how culture in immigrant circles tends to "stand still" at the time of emigration, while the home country moves on. Nice documentary photo, enjoyed your post.<em><br /></em></p>

<p>We live in an apartment building and in the basement laundry room there is a space for a building "freecycle". Articles ranging from clothing to furniture. Sometimes we might use something for a while, like a rocking chair, and then return it to the freecycle area when rearranging the apartment. It works out well and little is wasted. </p>