Email Scam Re PayPal

<p>Just a heads up for those using PayPal for photo sales transactions:</p>

<p>I just received an apparent scam email stating that my PayPal account has been compromised and asking me to download a report form. Riiight.<br>

The most obvious clue was that it was sent to my wife's email address, not to the one associated with my PayPal account.</p>

<p>I checked for previous posts on PayPal scams. Most of them are several years old...</p>

<p>If in doubt as to the legitimacy of an email, log on to the home page of the company's website by typing the address in the address bar and then following your usual logon procedure. If your account is really in trouble in any way, they'll certainly let you know about it the second you log in. But NEVER click that handy link in the email, even when it appears 99.9% certain it's a legitimate email.</p>

If you use the Mac Mail app, you can move your cursor so that it hovers motionless over the link given in the email. DO

NOT CLICK, just hover, A text will appear that shows the actual destination url. This may work with other mail clients too.

Sometimes, an attachment is given that appears to be a .zip file. In fact, it is usually a disguised executable .exe file. On a

Windows machine if you try to open it, you could give complete control of your computer to a stranger.

<p>Oh, and FAIW, I'm now getting more phone calls from the hackers at the friendly "Windows Support Department" than phishing emails. IMO the best way to handle those calls is to say, "Oh, yes, thank you so much for calling! I can really use your help, but right now there's something burning on the stove. Can you please hold for a second? I'll be right back." Then set down the phone and leave it.</p>

<p>I get these all the time, easy to spot. From "PPal" and other variations of the word. Windows 7 allows cursor hovering over the URL to display the correct phishing one. I copy the message source and add it, sending a message to <a href="mailto:spoof@paypal.com">spoof@paypal.com</a></p>

<p>I get similar ones from about every bank in North America, Europe and Britain too, all wanting me to verify my info. Banks do not send e-mails asking for such info. My bank doesn't even have my e-mail.</p>

<p> </p>