D300 mirror sticking up a lot

marklcooper

<p>The mirror sticks in the up position a lot. If I press the stop-down/Depth-of-field indicator button on the front of the camera enough times the mirror eventually comes down. It does this with multiple lenses. I've polished the lens contacts on the camera body with a cloth. Multiple batteries. I rarely get more than 3 shots in a row before the mirror sticks.</p>

<p>Approximately 145,000 shutter actuations. I purchased the camera off ebay last October (for $370) and have not had a lick of trouble until about a month ago.</p>

<p>Any suggestions short of sending it in to Nikon for an estimate? (see purchase price above)</p>

<p>Thanks in advance - Mark</p>

<p>Just to verify the problem, do you have access to a fairly new EN-EL3e battery, fully charged, to double check your D300 with? I would eliminate any battery issue first.</p>

<p>Otherwise, replacing the mirror and/or shutter could potentially cost you more than what you paid for that D300 ($370), but it doesn't hurt (much) to get a repair estimate first before you approve any repair. You may be responsible for round-trip shipping.</p>

<p>Also, can be a mirror stopping foam become sticky or residue get inside the mirror mechanism. Just a guess. Definitely not a shutter or mirror mechanical problem. A god service clean-up would help, after you make sure your battery is holding charges. Old battery sometime losing charge a second after use.</p>

<p>I put 8 brand new Duracell Quantum alkaline batteries in my battery grip. Same problem. The mirror stopper/bumper foam does not look or feel sticky and has not left a residue on the bottom edge of the mirror. When I manually pull the mirror away from the foam it returns to up position. Probably a gummed up mechanism then.</p>

<p>From Columbus Ohio I'm probably best off sending the camera to Nikon Melville. Has anyone had Nikon do a CLA recently? Is there a typical cost for this type of work (CLA)?</p>

<p>Thanks for all your help - Mark</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I put 8 brand new Duracell Quantum alkaline batteries in my battery grip</p>

</blockquote>

<p>there are different settings about the order how to use use of batteries and EN-EL3e. Its possible that the camera doesnt use the Duracells despite the fact the EN is dead. So check the settings and remove the EN.</p>

<p>Mag - the camera is set to use the battery grip first and it knows about the alkalines.</p>

<p>Thomas - thank you. That sounds about right. This camera replaced my original D300 that totally died one day last fall. I think I'll send both off for an estimate.</p>

<p>A question for those that have sent their cameras in for repair. Do you pull all replaceable items before shipping? Battery, memory card, etc.</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Mark</p>