Happy New Year

<p>Paul, best wishes for 2014 and your role in keeping us firmly anchored in traditional and silvery Leica photography. I for one resolve to use my IIIf and M4-P much more this year, and to dust off Viso-3, with Bellows-2 or my 280mm M lens. Slow Photography at its best. There aren't many nicer if not spectacular places to photograph than in our part of eastern Canada (southern Quebec), as you may note in the photograph. Today, unlike California or Hawaii, the scene looks a little different when one adds the temperature (- 6 F, - 20 C) and a few feet of snow, .... but it is equally sunny!</p><div>00cHOp-544603984.jpg.6a4c55eb966965923555bb9b8b641284.jpg</div>

<p>I found Paul's 2008 PN forum comments on his M with R adapter and the 21 3.4 Super Angulon. The Leitz 22228 R to M adapter resulted in a smaller and lighter setup than staying with the Leicaflex Standard. I'm hoping it is a usable setup as the Leicaflex Standard is a heavy camera body to carry all day and I want to get additional use from the 21 Super Angulon.</p>

<p>I remember seeing a mint used 21f3.8 Schneider R lens at a store ten years ago. Apart from lacking focus ability on an M series film camera, I wonder how to get a shoe mount 21mm VF to view properly with such an unusually large lens diameter (with or without lens hood?)?</p>

<p>Christopher, here's a photo taken with the 21mm 1:3.4 Super Angulon mounted on my M2 via adapter 22228. Frankly, I've been using the 21mm 1:4 Super Angulon R on my SL2 much more frequently. Being able to see the view through that lens has spoiled me, alas.<br>

Nice family photo.</p><div>00cHR8-544608584.jpg.dfb1e6a1d7a46f04a9f263ffa9573628.jpg</div>

My resolution for 2014 is to use my M5 w/35mm 'cron more

and more. Slow down, take more meaningful shots, instead

of just shooting hundreds of digital frames just to get what I

think will get me more comments on Flickr. The machine

gun madness has to end. Long live film and long live Leica.

<p>Happy New Year to everyone here! Thanks Paul- I hope you don't have to be over 65 to like the return of Film. :-)<br /> I am new here. I am a Leica and RF fan. I have a blog where I interview photographers- some Leica users and many not. They are quite inspirational. http://www.leicaliker.com<br /> But that's not why I'm here. I am here to discover more stuff about RF and Leicas. <br /> I tried to insert my first photo but not sure if I am doing things right.<br /> Happy shooting in 2014!<br /> Best, Elizabeth Wang-Lee (aka Leica Liker)<br /><br /></p>

<p> </p><div>00cI2v-544699284.jpg.5c29faf338e9d2906b25bc228ed0ff53.jpg</div>

<p>Anthony's request brought a smile since my home is under snow and ice and upstate NY and PA is just coming out of a deep freeze of below 0 weather for almost a week. Actually in good weather my home is similiar to Paul's, even to the pachysandra plantings. I don't think any of my cameras, Leicas or otherwise, should be used in sub zero weather with wind chill factors taking the effective temps down to -20. However my Leica notes include a discussion with Leica Rockleigh that Leica could prepare cameras and lenses for sub zero usage. I would guess Leica's preparation would address use of special lubricants or no lubricants depending on the intended use and climate.</p>

<p>Christopher, effective temperatures (due to wind) are not important for material objects. They see (and "feel") only the thermometer temperature, which is usually a lot higher. The effective temperatures relate really to human exposure, as the wind cooling has an effect on our body heat loss, increasing it and further lowering our resistance to cold.</p>

<p>Arthur--wind can and does have an effect on metallic objects. The Alaska Pipeline project showed that a diesel engine, and other metallic objects--under windy conditions--cooled much faster and became much more "cold soaked" than under calm conditions. The cure was to leave the engines running all the time in the winter, and take any tools inside, if you ever wished to use them again.<br>

Paul</p>

<p>Paul, I can agree with that specific case and when the motor is at a higher temperature than the ambient temperature. It is not the case of a motor at rest and at the ambient temperature in a windy situation (where it only "feels" the actual ambient temperature) but, for example, one which is running and generating and losing heat. The wind then removes heat faster than otherwise and must be counterbalanced by the heat generated by the motor.</p>

<p>The phrase "cooled much faster" probably pertains to an engine which is at a higher temperature than ambient and which if not running will cool faster in a windy rather than a non windy situation. I was referring to a motor or car battery, that like the human was already at the ambient temperature, and the fact that it is only the human, producing heat and losing heat by exposure, would experience the effect of an apparent lower temperature through the effect of more rapid heat loss under windy than the case of non-windy conditions. Bringing tools inside may have more to do with the fluidity of oils or other lubricants that outdoor exposure renders more viscous? When we use our cameras outdoors on very cold winter days we try to either limit the time of their exposure (camera and lens lubricants) or keep them at bit warmer inside our jackets. </p>