Photo-friendly snow coach companies in Yellowstone

ilia

<p>After sliding off the the road in Lamar valley last year, I'm looking for feedback from anyone who used snow coach services in Yellowstone in 2012-2013: which one is the most "photographer friendly"? I can't swing for a private tour, and there are dozen or so companies going in from West Yellowstone and Jackson, all costing about the same for the day trip...</p><div>00cIaS-544766584.thumb.jpg.7c4f882e224b4188e9ec0315e4c93283.jpg</div>

<p>Les - yes, they still allow snowmobiles in, but you have to be a part of the group with NP-sanctioned guide. From what I saw, those groups consist of 10-15 snowmobiles each. Makes for one noisy, smelly "expedition" - fun, but not very conductive to looking for wildlife or picture-taking...<br>

I tied skiing Yellowstone in the past - it is a large park, and my pathetic 30km/day tempo (with camera gear on my back) does not allow for getting to any of the interesting places :(</p>

<p>My experience is from 2007, a bit dated, but may be helpful.<br>

First, snow mobiles are allowed only in NP-approved groups, very limited on speed, have a maximum number of snowmobiles allowed in a day, and all riders must stay with the group. There has been quite a struggle in years past between those who want to run free through the park and those who want no snowmobiles at all - the heavily structured system is the park system's compromise.<br>

<br />Google/Bing for Yellowstone Vacations in West Yellowstone, MT. We stayed at the Brandin' Iron Motel (and I've been back there several times since) and were happy with the accommodations and prices. We took both of the tours offered, the Geyser Tour and the Canyon Tour. Each had a driver who was a very knowledgeable and easy-going guide, and they were willing to stop anywhere someone wanted. The Geyser Tour runs from West Yellowstone to Madison Junction, then to the Old Faithful area, and back-tracks to West Yellowstone. The Canyon Tour starts the same and goes up to the Grand Canyon and falls on the Yellowstone River (it has to refuel at the Canyon Junction gas station because the coaches can't climb the road from Madison Junction to Canyon Junction with a full load of fuel). Cost, as I recall, was $110 per person for each tour, and was well worth it. That winter happened to get a lot of snow and the park was amazing.</p>

<p>My experience with snow coaches in Yellowstone was very satisfactory. Bob's information and suggestion are spot on. I took both of the tours. Because I was traveling alone, I got to ride shotgun which made photography even easier. The driver/guide was great. I spotted a bald eagle resting in a tree and he promptly pulled over and stopped. The passengers were fine. If I could do it all over again, I would. Note - there are no snowcoaches for the Lamar Valley.</p>

<p>Bob, Allen - thanks for the advice. I stuck with the company that owns the Brandin' Iron, and it turned out great - only 7 people in the 29-seating snow coach, and the driver was more than happy to stop whenever we saw any sign of wildlife.</p><div>00cIyd-544817584.thumb.jpg.0741fbc9bb2cbce86fed60a676444710.jpg</div>

• 1 month later...