553 ELX Leftover Part Question

henry_finley1

<p>I've just finished the barn door repair of a 553 ELX and have a mystery part on my hands. Being the thorough worker I am, I'm bound to get to the bottom of where it came from. It's a little brass spacer of some kind that just fell out of the camera as I was working the chassis out of the shell. One single spacer, which puts fear in me that there's another one unaccounted for. BTW--I'm no boob, I've worked on EL's and ELM's before. I cannot find this part in the repair manual diagrams. HELP, please. Where did it come from? Pictures enclosed. Thank you.<br /> PS the site only lets me post 1 view of the brass piece. It is maybe 1/8 inch thick or a little less.</p>

<p> </p>

Great question... :-)<br>If it's not on any of the parts lists or in any of the diagrams, would that not mean it's not part of the camera?<br>The way to find out is go over those again. And again. Until you either find it, or are satisfied that it doesn't belong in the camera.<br><br>You will have removed the magazine support plate that holds the lower magazine hooks (or at least removed the screws that hold the upper shell to the motor casing). It's probably one of the two spacers that are located near the front, alongside the little plate spring.<br><br>P.S.<br>Looked it up, and the part i mean has parts number 810 620.

<p>This is out of my league, but as a former hasselblad owner that looks like the piece that the tripod support connects to on the baseplate of some of the EL models. (IIRC the 500c series had a special adapter while the EL/x/m had a different bottom). <br /> That's my guess.</p>

<p>Thanks, guys. Looks like you all are right. Not only am I missing one of the spacers. but the little spring that goes between them. It was obvious somebody has been in this camera before, and tightened up a couple whiskers in it. I wonder what I'll have proceeding with re-assembly without these parts.</p><div>00cQhe-545961284.thumb.jpg.86fee99f58420d74e87f9859c946ee47.jpg</div>

<p>Well as it turns out I found the other spacer. But the spring between them is nowhere to be found. I hate working on something where an obvious boob preceeded me. I can't know whether there was one in the first place. I wonder what I'd have reassembling without it.</p>

<p>The only reason I can figure Hasselblad put in this configuration of the front spring is to cut down on body shell vibration. Without the spring, I am supposing the next best remedy would be to put in a piece of foam. Og course it would deteriorate over time, but no worse than the mirror bumper foam, which would necessitate opening up the camera again some day. Any and all ideas welcomed. Thanks.</p>

<p>I wouldn't know where to order it. One time I had talked to Hasselblad about ordering, but they were charging 600 dollars for a hamburger. I'll wait for Douglas to chime in on his own before trying to message him. I'm not familiar with the names on here.</p>

Re names: Douglas Fairbank is 'in' this thread, 3rd reply to your OP.<br>Unless i'm very much mistaken (and i'm going on what his PNet biography says, and what his company's website shows ;-) ), and though i'm ignorant about how much he would charge for hamburgers, he apparently runs a Hasselblad repair facility that can boast a rather impressive 'pedigree'.<br><br>You could also try to fabricate a replacement spring. Maybe your foam pad idea could work. Something that provides enough pressure to take the play out of the interface, yet allows for some movement.

<blockquote>

<p>The only reason I can figure Hasselblad put in this configuration of the front spring is to cut down on body shell vibration. Without the spring, I am supposing the next best remedy would be to put in a piece of foam. Og course it would deteriorate over time, but no worse than the mirror bumper foam, which would necessitate opening up the camera again some day. Any and all ideas welcomed. Thanks.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hasselblad has a history with not liking foam from the 500c days. </p>

<p>I don't particularly like my foam idea anyway. Although foam may have some amount of "dampening" capability, I have an idea that Hasselblad chose the spring for it's "harmonic dampening" capability. There's one thing I do know now. This camera did NOT have that spring in it when I got it. If it did, I would have found it in this house today. I did NOT lose that spring. The boob that tightened his whiskers in the screws before me, lost it. But I want one. He also lost 3 pieces of leather, but I'll survive that. I don't tolerate knucklehead work very well. No excuse for it.</p>

<p>The spring is there to help align the chassis of the camera in the shell. I would always encourage any Hasselblad owner to contact the local distributor, I know most of them and they will always do what they can to help within the limits of trading practices in that country. Or make one from stock material.<br>

I am not sure if you can get a Hamburger from Hasselblad USA but you can get a $600 Dollar burger from Serendipity 3 restaurant in New York.<br>

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/25/most-expensive-burger_n_1546313.html</p>

<p>553 ELX project is done. Turned out beautifully--ready for work. Here she sits on the work table all finished up. The parts in the background upper left are a conversion project I'm working on to shed some tonnage off my Horseman L 8x10. The ball peen hammer is unrelated to camera repair (most of the time).<br>

Oh, BTW--I got the last repairman's whiskers out of the Hass, while I was at it. He was an obvious boob, as he had also broken one side the upper rear cross-brace of the body casting. Probably dropped it.</p><div>00cRSr-546106384.thumb.jpg.b04f0445bb19321158a600dbcfafce52.jpg</div>