Why do we like to take photographs?

tholte

<p>I like to freeze a moment in time. By looking back at photographs I can re-tell the story and I get to live the moment over again. Being able to cherish good memories gives consolation during tough times, a unique moment that you can hold on to and pass on to other generations :)</p>

<p>As an introvert, I must say that many of the comments resonate with me – Alan, Sarah, Colin – but I think Wouter “To hide behind a camera and observe and immerse” and Ann “I like to freeze a moment in time” are probably more true for me. <br>

<br>

I don’t really care if anyone else sees my photos but must admit that I am extraordinarily pleased when someone does and makes a comment or suggestion. For me, it validates what I saw and, in some ways, felt about the picture. <br>

<br>

Since starting to shoot digital, I’ve also discovered something else I like about taking pictures – finding out what ELSE is in the picture besides what I THOUGHT I was taking a picture of… the joy of discovery! </p>

<p>I made my livelihood worthsmithing. Writing in governmentese and acronymania. Nothing wrong with wordplay, or the language of finessing thought- as the many blogs and Facebook chatter amply demonstrates. I could have gone for journalism and starved I guess... Thinking of it on a higher plane, a human need -and I classify myself in that species-to express and shout out and do it in a way that strikes direct to the visual cortex. Like music, only from one visual cortex to another without the need for mandatory interpretive wordplay and definitions. (Eliza Doollitle said it for me about her<em> Pygmalion </em>mentor. Words get in the way of loving emotion sometimes.)<br /> Analytically, like everyone I want to leave a wee monument to my existence. The brief flame thing..... I shoot therefore I am. Am what- an expressive observing and interpreting being. It is by now of course a habit I rarely question.And have not ready explanation that non photographers can dig.<br>

Can poets stop themselves from scribbling verse or doggerel for their internal compulsion? And most of all, sometimes it gives me pure unblemished freedom and pleasure. And great satisfaction.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Doesn't anyone else think it is mostly just about using cool toys?!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think that definitely applies to the historical forums (CMC, MFC). At least, as well as a bit of time travel in the only way possible.<br>

;)</p>

It took me years to discover that I see the world differently from other people.  Whereas that's true of everyone to a more or lesser extent, photography allows me to show the world I see and experience.  My visual experiences resonate with people who either may not have been able to visit the same places I have or to see the place the same way I did. <br><br>

<p>It's also a compulsion.  I pull out the camera when something strikes me as so special that I need to photograph it.  Taking pictures just to take pictures does not appeal to me, even when I know I will probably never visit that place again. --Sally

<p>It's my life, it is who I am, who my family, friends, clients and community expect me to be and I am more passionate about it than ever. Love my new office space downtown, finally a print finishing and marketing area that I don't have to trip over in my own home, lol!</p><div>00cNCo-545422584.jpg.0e59dc9e7f06f2c3e2bceb47f7091366.jpg</div>

<p>I can relate to so many of the comments above. Such commonality and of course a collegiality at the core of what makes us tick.. " So you shoot too. Great" .(but don't get in my face when I am setting up my tripod :-)) Never thought about the therapy part per Carol above but I suppose yeah it feeds and nourishes some drive that needs expression in us all. And beats kicking the family pet and cheaper than golf. <br>

Is also open ended, and growth fostering I am thinking. Just spotted this quote from the great Ansel A re the never ending quest to expand one's approach to the craft:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>“You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.”</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I like to think so too......<br /></p>