Cost of using studio flashes?

peter_macejka

<p>I'm just in the process of starting a studio and what to share the spaces with other photographers and possibly hire it out at low cost to help with the rent.<br>

I realize costs are different depending on your location, but has anyone done the numbers on what a 500w or 1000w flash costs to run for the work day? Or would anyone mind sharing the cost of electricity for running a studio? I'm in Melbourne, Australia, but would appreciate input from anyone living outside of Australia as well. <br>

I'm not trying to penny pinch, I'm trying to keep costs down on the renting out of the studio. Not that I don't want to make money on it, but I myself am sick of the hiring costs of a day in the studio. I feel I can make more money in the long run by hiring it out for less.<br>

Is there other running costs apart from leasing a space that I haven't thought of?<br>

Thanks for any help you can give.<br>

Peter</p>

<p>I think Matt is referring to liability insurance as well as insurance against damage to your equipment. Being responsible and safe in your own use of equipment is one thing. It can be much more difficult to make sure that photographers who use the studio while you're not there will be responsible and safe.</p>

<p> </p>

Yes, H!

My point being that adequate insurance will cost far, far more than the electricity used by a day's rental. Orders of

magnitude more. That assumed that you lease allows you to even operate in that way. Spend time with a lawyer on the

fine print.

<p>There is usually a reason for the costs for things like studio rentals--Matt's point about insurance is extremely valid. Most people treat equipment that they own a lot better than things that they rent, and you can expect to be sued if anyone is injured in the studio even if you haven't been negligent in any way. You might win in court but still be out a lot of money for attorneys fees.<br>

It is also important to build in a profit margin in your fee structure for your work and your investment, as well as a budget for repairs/replacement of equipment. Good luck!</p>

<p>I haven't done the numbers but I would think the cost of operating studio strobes is neglibile, especially in comparison with the heat/air conditioning, regular room room lighting throughout the buliding and any other energy costs.<br /><br />Actually running the numbers could be done but it's a little tricky. You can look on your strobes and see what they are rated for electrical consumption. The watt seconds is not the same as the amount of electricity consumed (although it's related). If you were talking about hot lights, it's easy to take a 1,000 watt bulb, for example, add up the number of hours it is turned on, then multiple that against your utility's price per kilowatt hour. (A kilowatt hour is 1,000 watts of electricity for one hour, and is also the unit by which electricity is usually priced, at least here in the U.S.) A strobe should have marked on it somewhere either how many watts it draws, or the amperage (which you can multiply times volts to get watts). The tricky part is that the strobe only draws that amount when it is recycyling. It consumers far fewer watts while sitting there in standby waiting for the next pop. To come up with an accurate calculation you would have to figure out how much time it's actually recycling during the day, and figure out what the consumption is during standby. Don't forget to add in the wattage of the modeling lights and how long they are on.<br /><br />Rather than do all of that, I think the more valid thing is to just see what your electric bill is for the whole building is for a month, then what it averages out to over a year. Then divide the average monthly bill by the number of days in a month you intend to rent the studio and there's your electricity number. You need to be charging for all the overhead, not just the electricity for the strobes.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Is there other running costs apart from leasing a space that I haven't thought of?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Let's see, in addition to rent, heat, water, internet, telephone, insurance (mentioned by Matt), repairs to damaged equipment, general upkeep on the space (like repainting the white cyc after someone walks on it).<br>

Then there's the capital expenditures for stands, grip gear, gobos, flags, reflectors, etc. that you haven't mentioned / thought of.<br>

If you are going to rent studio space, you need a business plan for a studio rental business that accounts for all the costs in addition to things like how many hours/days do you plan to rent the place out vs. how many hours will you reserve for yourself.<br>

<Chas></p>

<p>The electricity costs are negligible as said above, but ware and tear on the equipment, insurance and the overall utility bills are all things to consider. You need to rent it for high enough to justify all your costs and also to be able to upgrade and add equipment as well. As far as numbers on specific cost of using the strobes I don't know anyone who has done so, but certainly the electric bill is something to look at as well as all the utilities. You know, basically what does it cost a month and a year to run the studio, rent it, insure it, equip it etc. and then what is a fair price to make it available to the others. Sounds cool hope it works out for you!</p>

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the responses.

Most of the studios here in Melbourne rent out the space with background only. Some offer equipment rental on top of the

studio rental price. So in saying that, I guess background rolls and repainting of the cyclorama would have to be included.

The space I'm getting will have communal toilets, showers and kitchen, so no water or gas bills for me. The power bill was

the main unknown for me. I know someone who owns a big mechanics workshop and there power bill is about $700

every quarter. I didn't know how much the studio flash use would impact the bill.

Didn't think of the internet. Phone line for Internet use only as everyone can use their mobile phones.

I guess the main thing I didn't think of was the insurance, I'll get a quote for that today.

Thanks again for the responses. If there is anything else I have missed not mentioned so far, I'd be greatful to hear about

it.

If your studio has a Meter you can see how many watt/hours you consume during a shoot. Then call your electricity provider and ask them how much they charge per watt/hour, or you can look at your electric bill and see how much it costs. Your typical studio flash will not draw that much power (unless you are really winging it) because it's not continuous. It's not like your toaster-oven that can draw up to 1200 Watts just to turn it on ! Some photographers run continuous lights for long periods of time, so yes it can get expensive especially if you are running other equipment such as fans, stereo, TV, refrigerator etc.