Nikon F5 Needs Repair

magicord

<p>I dropped my F5 onto an asphalt running trail 2 years ago and knew it needed repairs. I took it to the Nikon Service Center in Morton Grove (outside Chicago, IL). It took them about a week and they replaced the whole shutter assembly, gave the body a CLA and I remember the tech telling me "that it was nice to work on a well made camera which would survive all the digitals". As I recall, the cost was about $250 or so. They do mostly warranty work, but service a lot of local pros whose gear is well out of warranty. Here is their contact info:</p>

8125 River Dr, Morton Grove, IL 60053

(847) 966-4091

<ul >

<li ><strong>Fax</strong>: 847-966-4101</li>

</ul>

<p>Good luck. The F5 is such a terrific camera, and well worth repairing if you intend to stay with film.</p>

<p>If the OP is in Hong Kong and Nikon Hong Kong no longer has parts to fix that particular F5 problem, the next logical option should be Nikon in Japan. You can also check with Authorized Photo Service in the Chicago area (Morton Grove) as Stephen Lewis suggests. Some repair shops may be able to salvage parts from other damaged cameras to fix yours. Nikon will probably only use new parts. You can check around Hong Kong too.</p>

<p>However, by now, it may be cheaper and simplier to just buy another used F5. Other than some collectors items, used film SLRs are mostly very cheap in the used market.</p>

<p>Nikon Spares in the UK told me that the part was unavailable from them late last year when I tried to get one for my F5 after losing part of the display. Wasn't impressed as I was under the impression that they kept parts available for the Pro bodies for 10 years after the end of production & I thought that should have been 2014 for the F5?<br>

In the end I wound up buying another DP-30. The only place that I could find one for sale at a reasonable price was on ebay from a German seller at around £100. Used but in mint condition.<br>

I think that Grays of Westminister had a new one at the time. They wanted £400 for it though. Bit steep for me given that you can find an F5 is decent condition for the same money.</p>

<p>Are you sure the parts are not available? I had my F5 overhauled this past summer which included replacing the shutter and the lower lcd on the back of the camera and other electronic components. I now have a real LN camera with a NEW shutter. Repair cost was something like $230 and turn around time was less than 2 weeks. I live in the US and used their NY facility. If it were me I'd contact other repair shops to see if they can service your camera. You may be about to find an authorized repair facility.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>Parts unavaillable is what I got back from Nikon Canada in Montreal and Toronto in Dec 2013 when I enquired about a latch for the DP-30. I even went as far as providing the parts pictogram and part number to them. No parts is all I got back from both centres. this by phone and by Email. Maybe it is this "do not suply parts to clients" thing. But the centres told me they are digital only now. I was under the impression a 10 years window would be open also.<br /> Marc N Fournier, Quebec</p>