Nikon Coolscan 8000 Help

<p>Hello all:<br />I just purchased a used Nikon Coolscan 8000 film scanner. The previous owner ran it with Vuescan on a Mac. I have a PC with Windows 7 64 bit, and the latest Vuescan. Vuescan says it cannot find a scanner. I changed the Firewire cable, and no help. I run my Epson V700 with Vuescan, and it works fine. Any suggestions? I have priceless family negatives from 1935 to 1940 that my Dad made, before dying at age 29 when I was three. The negs were lost for 72 years and just recovered....really important I get the scanner up and running. I started the project with my Polaroid 120 Sprintscan, but it died.<br />Thanks in advance<br />Dave Gurtcheff<br />Beach Haven, NJ</p>

<p>If the scanner has a USB connector try the USB.<br /> If it is still not recognized go to control panel > device manager. Look for any yellow ! or unknown device. Verify that the firewire port is not disabled.</p>

<p>Turn the scanner on and have it connected to the computer before starting Vuescan.</p>

<p>I don't have any experience with Vuescan, but do have a Nikon 9000 film scanner working on a Windows 7 64 bit computer using Nikon Scan software. The problem using the Nikon software with Windows 7 64 bit software is Nikon did not supply a 64 bit driver for Windows 7. I followed directions on this site to get it working.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/44994-getting-your-nikon-coolscan-work-w7-x64.html">http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/44994-getting-your-nikon-coolscan-work-w7-x64.html</a></p>

<p>I purchased the scanner new, and it came with a Firewire port to install in the computer. I understand the scanner does not work with all Firewire ports, so this may be your problem. I used this firewire board in my Windows XP computer, but when I built a new computer and installed Windows 7 64 bit Professional the Firewire port on the new compute worked with the 9000 scanner. </p>

<p>Thanks all: I down loaded Silverfast Demo, and it, too, cannot find the scanner. I am beginning to suspect the firewire card, so I am going to replace it, even though Device Manager seems to think it is working properly. This Coolscan 8000 is in beautiful condition, complete with a glass roll film carrier, in addition to the glassless carriers. I really want to get this baby up and running.<br />Thanks again<br />Dave</p>

<p>This is from my Nikon 9000 user manual relative to computer does not recognize scanner.</p>

<p align="LEFT">Computer does not</p>

<p align="LEFT">recognize scanner</p>

<p align="LEFT">• Scanner is off</p>

<p align="LEFT">Turn the scanner on.</p>

<p align="LEFT">• Scanner turned on with holder inserted</p>

<p align="LEFT">After removing the holder, turn the scanner off and then on again.</p>

<p align="LEFT">• Interface cable not correctly connected</p>

<p align="LEFT">Turn the scanner off and reconnect the cable.</p>

<p align="LEFT">• Computer does not meet minimum system requirements<br>

Use a system that meets the requirements.</p>

<p align="LEFT">Computer does not</p>

<p align="LEFT">recognize scanner</p>

<p align="LEFT">(continued)</p>

<p align="LEFT">• Other IEEE 1394 devices are connected and turned on</p>

<p align="LEFT">Disconnect the other devices. If the scanner is connected via a hub,</p>

<p align="LEFT">adapter, or extension cable, disconnect the scanner and reconnect it</p>

<p align="LEFT">directly to the computer. If this does not solve the problem, uninstall</p>

<p align="LEFT">all software that uses the IEEE 1394 interface and reinstall Nikon</p>

<p align="LEFT">Scan.</p>

<p align="LEFT">• Interface board is not compatible</p>

<p align="LEFT">At the time of writing, operation has been confi rmed only with the</p>

<p align="LEFT">interface board provided with the scanner. Operation is not guaranteed</p>

<p align="LEFT">with other boards or with built-in IEEE 1394 ports. Install the</p>

<p align="LEFT">supplied interface board (desktop computers) or consult a Nikon service</p>

<p align="LEFT">representative for information on approved IEEE 1394 interface</p>

<p align="LEFT">boards or cards.</p>

<p align="LEFT">• Interface board is not correctly installed</p>

<p align="LEFT">Check the documentation provided with interface board or card.</p>

<p align="LEFT">• Scanner device driver is missing or corrupted (Windows only)</p>

<p align="LEFT">Check that the device driver is correctly installed.</p>

<p align="LEFT">• Nikon Scan is not correctly installed</p>

<p align="LEFT">Uninstall and reinstall Nikon Scan. For more information, see the</p>

<p align="LEFT">Nikon Scan Reference Manual</p>

<p align="LEFT">.</p>

<p align="LEFT">• IEEE 1394 drivers require updating (Windows 98 SE only)<br>

Update the IEEE 1394 drivers.</p>

<p>Have you got a printer or another scanner that also works on FW? If they work .. but not the CS there is your answer ....</p>

<p>Windows 7 shoudln't be an issue even thou Nikon doesn't provide x64 drivers. B/c printers and devices in Win7 should say that a unsupported / unknown device has been detected. You then use whatever DIY driver on the net ... or that Vuescan one.</p>

<p>I have a Canon printer and a Canon scanner that has drivers for XP but now that I have changed to Windows 7pro 64bit they are not recognized. I have downloaded drivers for W7 but only some features work. On the scanner for instance I have to do a scan from the buttons on the scanner first then I am able to use Photoshop to 'Import' the scanner to further work.<br>

I think that some of these replacement drivers have not been thought through properly for all the current versions of the latest operating systems.<br>

Try uninstalling the scanner and download the latest driver for your Coolscanner and reinstalling strictly as per the manufacturers advice, </p>

<p>To all:<br /> Now I am sure it is a Firewire issue. I discovered that my wife's old iMac running OSX has a firewire port. I contacted Ed Hamrick to see which old version of Vuescan might run on the old iMac. I downloaded it, attached the Coolscan, and Vuescan found it, and it scans successfully! Again Vuescan to the rescue! I also was contacted from a gentleman on one of these forums that said that the Coolscan 8000 and 9000 were very fussy with which firewire cards they liked...so much so that Nikon included a firewire card with their scanners. He had a brand new one that came with his then new 9000. He offered it to me for postage plus a very nominal fee. I purchased it and will install in my PC. I also ordered a PCMCIA-Firewire adapter card to put in my ancient Windows XP notebook PC, so as a last resort I may be able to scan from it. Thanks all...I am again a "Happy Camper"........the 8000 is a beautiful machine worthy of scanning my Dad's negatives.<br /> Best to all....<br /> Dave in NJ</p>

<p>Jeff,<br>

Windows 8 automatically install its drivers for many things. To install the manufacturers driver suite go to control panel> devices and printers> identify the device, delete it then run the manufacturers installation program.<br>

I ran across this when trying to install an Epson Stylus Photo 4800 Pro. Windows kept trying to install its drivers for the printer and it took several tries to get the Win7 driver Epson said to use installed and fully functional.</p>

<p>Win7 may be doing something similar with your scanner.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>The story has a happy ending. Today, I finally installed a new (different) PCI Express Firewire card. When I booted up my PC, Win 7 searched the internet, and installed a driver. When I opened Vuescan, it found the Nikon Coolscan 8000, and it works beautifully. The previous owner included the hard to find (and expensive) glass medium format film carrier, along with three glassless carriers. This scanner is a beauty.<br /> Thanks all for your help.<br /> Dave in NJ<br /><br /></p>