Should I upgrade to EOS 1 DX ?

nirvan_a

<p>Nirvan, You don't need to upgrade to 1DX, but it is already itching at your finger tips. You probably will not be happy until you do it. Seems quite likely you can swing funding by the sound of it. I know from personal experience, that just not having the equipment you desire, not that you need, can stymie your desire to shoot. Just go for it!</p><div>00cNEw-545427684.jpg.ce038545f7a1b1fae4c5ee1bf65af11c.jpg</div>

<p>Yes. The 5diii is nothing but the iphone of dslrs these days, dime a dozen, ho-hum images. The good news is I will take it off your hands for $500 and I will pay for shipping.</p>

<p>Or you can print out Jamie Robertson's response and tape it to your fridge. Take your pic(k). ;=)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>That's pure BS about needing to know the answer or you shouldn't ask the question.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, it <em>is not - </em>because it clearly indicates that whatever "issues" the OP believes he has, he doesn't know what they are or whether the 1D x will address them.</p>

<p>Unless we're talking purely about buying for the sake of buying, you upgrade when you know that you're banging up against the limitations of the existing kit <em>and </em>you've done the research to prove that the proposed upgrade will address those limitations.</p>

<p>To encourage anyone to "upgrade" when we don't even know what the issues are, is arrogant, irresponsible and deeply unhelpful.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In the field, shooting birds and wildlife, I run into photographers all the time with better equipment than me and yet I'm often able to help them improve their results</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yeah - me too. And I can do things with my relatively humble kit that people who have far better cameras struggle to achieve. <em>I'm also frequently able to demonstrate that supposed failings in their existing kit don't actually exist, either... </em></p>

<p>Still doesn't mean I feel I'm qualified to spend other people's money for them - especially, as here, on the basis of a complete lack of knowledge of what the OP's "issues" with his current kit are.</p>

<p>So in short; no, <em>it is not</em> a "valid question".</p>

<p>Keith, someone new to super telephoto photography, isn't going to know the answer to the questions they ask. Maybe if he'd asked, "I own the 5D MkIII, but I've heard that the 1D X is a better body for using with my 600mm. What differences might I see if I buy a 1D X to use with my 600mm?" then you wouldn't get your panties in such a wad.</p>

<p>I suspect that the OP has considered his budget or is weighing whether the potential value to him, but he has every right to ask any question he likes and we have no business criticizing his question. When I used to train professional auditors, one of the first things I'd say is, "There's no stupid question" because I didn't want people making mistakes by not being sure what they were doing. We owe similar respect to our noobs here.</p>