Gradient - how to in CS5

<p>Friends, I typically work with CS5. I spent last week at a Maine Media Workshop on fine art printing and used CS6. It had a very neat gradient tool. It allowed you to pick a point on the image and then drag a line to a desired end point. A gradient would then be applied. It was very effective in creating a very gradual gradient to the top of a landscape to darken the sky without over-darkening the land. I did play with the gradient tool in CS5 a bit but could not seem to achieve the same effect. Suggestions?<br>

Obliged,<br>

David</p>

<p>David--can you post a sample of an image you are working on with the problem gradient and perhaps, if you one available, a sample shot of where it worked properly at the workshop? I have both versions (unfortunately, i have pretty much all versions--I upgrade way too much) and I don't recall any specific changes to the gradient tool from CS5>CS5.5>CS6--but I can look. It would be nice to see what you are trying to achieve by way of looking at an image. Keep in mind where you place you start and end point can have an impact on the tonal range of the gradient--very compressed with a strong demarcation line when they are close to a nice even gradient when they are farther apart. You can drag beyond the edge of the image as well to limit the range of color in the gradient for more subtle transitions.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> I don't recall any specific changes to the gradient tool from CS5>CS5.5>CS6</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Me either, I suspect the OP just saw a new method of creating a gradient. The technique described has been around for decades (using a gradient mask to affect gradually one area over the other). I don't see that couldn’t be done in CS5. Sounds like the gradient was made on maybe an alpha channel? </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>David S, I agree with David T in that I don't recall the gradient tool changing between 5 and 6.</p>

<p>I assume what you are doing is to create a new layer, setting your gradient to black and white, and applying your gradient to the new layer. If this is how you are doing it I suspect that the issue you might be running into is not selecting the correct blending mode for the layer. It would be normal in this situation to select Multiply and then adjust the effect of the layer by reducing its Opacity. That might not be exactly what you are looking for but it would be a good starting point.</p>

<p>Friends,<br>

I am obliged for your replies. I confess that the use of masks of this kind was new to me until this workshop. While the technique has been committed to my notebook, it is not to my memory. I will go back and check my notes.<br>

I did try the effect in CS5 at home with the tool identified as gradient. What I was looking for, and did not find, was the line tool that applied it in CS6 - rather like the rule tool. Could that have been a change in CS6?<br>

Thanks again.<br>

David</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I did try the effect in CS5 at home with the tool identified as gradient.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>IF you're trying to make a straight line by dragging, hold down the shift key.</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>John, that is not what I was doing, but reflects the concept. I like that but hesitate to do a gradient so early in the workflow.<br>

Robert, I used that technique in CS5 as well. But again, in CS6 I used I straight line (like the one John references form ACR, that establishes the parameters of the gradient in a more elegant and efficient way. Again, I will consult my notes.<br>

Actually, I just did a web search and discovered this:<br>

<strong>"The Gradient tool:</strong> Setting this tool to a linear gradient of black to white or white to black is truly awesome. Select the layer mask in the Layers panel and <strong>drag with the Gradient tool</strong> on the layer mask to create the gradient. The darker areas of the gradient gradually hide the image, whereas the lighter areas gradually show the image." (Emphasis added)<br>

Thanks to all.<br>

David</p>