calibration.. monitor looks awful!

julie_a.

I had never calibrated my monitor before, and always got great prints from my lab. Well,

last week I got some back (not corrected by lab), and they were dark and cool, so I figured

it was time. I installed the I1 display software and ran the calibration. It turned my screen

very dark and very pink. A call to support yielded the same results. When I said the color

was still very whacked out, the rep suggested that soft proofing would likely be helpful. I

asked "But what about using the computer for internet? For netfix or video games? I looks

awful and I almst need squint at it." She basically might as well told me that tough, that

was just the way I would have to., deal with it.

This is not a cheap, crappy monitor. It's hard tbelieve my computer will just have to look

like crap for any other use if I want to get good prints.o

Advice? Insights?

<p>A calibrated monitor should not look pink unless you are showing something pink. The colors should be accurate. That's the whole point of calibrating. Can you provide more details, e.g., what you were looking at on the monitor, and using what software?</p>

Everything, and I do mean everything, looks pink. My images, the internet

browser even has a pink cast on it. I'm using the xrite i1 display pro.

I thought the same thing about what's the point of calibrating, but support is

blowing it off and just telling me to.live with it. I'm very frustrated.

<p>Hi Julie, I use the Spyder series of monitor calibrators I find they are very good and work well with my printers. I use a Canon A3 Pixma printer for large colour shots for exhibition etc. and also for my standard A4 shots. The Spyder calibrators come with software or hardware (Very Expensive at top of range) that link with the printers so that what you see on the screen is what you get from the printer. For smaller sizes of prints, I use a colour laser and print on good quality card. You cannot put photo papers through a laser as far as I know.</p>

<p>I've used the eye one Display 2 on numerous monitors for years, and it works very well on default settings. (I use Windows 7.) The only thing I have ever done is (1) make sure that the lighting is similar to that in which I am editing, and (2) make sure that the device is flat on the screen. It has never been necessary to do anything more than this.</p>

<p>If you are doing that much, then something is fundamentally wrong. Perhaps you have an odd video card or monitor that can't manage a new profile, or perhaps you have a defective calibration device. Any chance you can try this with someone else who has done it before, or try it on a different computer.</p>

<p>Apart from changing brightness, the most common change I have seen when calibrating is that many monitors are too blue when sent from the factory, so calibrating noticeably reduces the blue cast. This is minor on some monitors but really striking on some. In every case, however, colors looked more natural after calibrating than before.</p>

Have you let your monitor warm up 15-30 minutes before trying to calibrate it? I know when mine are "cold"

they look different. One has fast brightness at the expense of a color cast. The other doesn't seem to have

the color cast but it takes several minutes for the brightness to get to a point where it's really usable. Once

they are warmed up they are pretty consistent (their color gamuts are different so I never expect them to be

the same).

<p>Dan, the colorimeter was indeed flat. Support walked me through an advanced calibration and they made sure that I checked that. I have Windows 7 ultimate. I have a radeon 6700 series video card. It's supposedly a good video card but how would I find out if that's the issue?<br>

Ellis, I tried it at standard settings first, and then my lab's settings. It was pink both times. But the lab asked to calibrate at D50, 2.2 gamma, 80 luminance. The first time I tried it at D65. Pink both times, and very dark. The monitor was clean. I'm using the colorimeter that came with my i1 display pro, and I'm using an ASUS 278Q. <br>

Wade, it was indeed warmed up. It was on almost an hour when I ran it.<br>

I'm so frustrated by this and I appreciate all the help. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>the monitor didn't change.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have experienced a situation where my Spyder calibration profile would not load. (in fact it did load) but my Nvidia graphics card would over-ride the Spyder profile and reset the Nvidia settings with resulting weird colours. I had to open the Nvidia Control Panel in Windows Control Panel and put a 'tick' in the line- "Other applications control colour settings." now my calibration profile loads and the screen looks great, my prints are great. So a hint- check all aspects of your graphics card.</p>

<p>[[ugh so I really think the video card is the issue, but it doesn't have any override in the control panel! Now what do I do?]]</p>

<p>From what I've ready online, you need to go into the AMD VISION Engine Control Center --> Desktop Management --> Desktop Color</p>

<p>And check to see if "Reactivate AMD color controls" is checked or not. If it's checked then the AMD software is trying to control the color which may be the source of your problems. </p>

<p>Have you looked in Windows-7 to check what screen profile is actually being used? Extract of 'How To' notes follows-<br>

<strong>In WINDOWS-7 ( & Vista)</strong> <br>

Colour profiles exist in the sub-folder: C:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers\color<br>

It would be unusual for a default profile not to be installed in Windows-7 (or Vista).<br>

To Check the DEFAULT Colour PROFILE-<br>

1. Open Control Panel. [sTART]>[CONTROL PANEL]<br>

2. Select- [COLOUR MANAGEMENT]<br>

3. Select the TAB- ADVANCED<br>

4. In the boxed area "Windows Color System Defaults" the "Device Profile" is most likely set to [sRGB IEC61966-2.1] <br>

The profile can be changed in the 'Drop-down' box (eg. Adobe RGB 1998 is at the top of the list). A profile created by Color-Munki (or other Calibrators) will also appear in this list.</p>