Canon 35mm f/2.8 lens, black and chrome ("Type 2") (LTM)

JDMvW

The Canon 35/2.8, Nikkor 3.5cm F2.5, and Summaron 35/2.8 (and F3.5) all share the same basic Planar design. I had all three, but ended up selling the Canon and Leica lens. Recently picked up the Nikkor at a good price on an Ebay BIN. It is very small, uses 34.5mm filters. Even harder to find than Canon 40mm filters. I ended up wrapping teflon pipe-fitting tape around 34mm filters: it works.

The Canon used to be the "I don't get no respect" lens in the line-up, was lower contrast than the Nikkor. I liked the colors that it gave. Preferred it over the 35/1.8- which was lower contrast.

<p>Yes, it does appear that the Canon 35mm f/2.8 RF lenses share the same double Gauss/Planar optical formula. My black & chrome copy has a 10-bladed diaphragm. I don't know how many blades were used in the Serenar and all-chrome Canon versions of this lens.</p>

<p>I finally figured out that I had to have a copy of Deschin's <em>Canon Photography</em> (1957) and it came today in the mail.<br /> As Deschin comments, and as the following chart from the book illustrates, Canon really worked miracles with Gaussian lens formulae. Even the little 35mm lens is Gauss-derived - unlike most of the Zeiss and Arsenal wide angles.<br /> No wonder I like them, being a sort of Biotar (et al.) freak (see <em>Photo Wars III: the Clone Wars</em> in previous posts here).</p>

<p>Deschin comments on the Gauss-derived lenses, starting with the 50mm f/1.9 (circled) and the separate development of "triplets" represented in the 'inverted T' box, starting with the early 50mm f/3.5 (also circled).</p>

<p>Yes, using a similar Canon about 40 years ago I got used to the 35mm lens. (The lens wasn't Canon, but was LTM). When I bought my first SLR (Nikon FM, not long after they came out) I bought it with the 35/f2 and never bought the 50mm lens. Some years later, I bought a used Nikon 35-70 zoom, though.<br>

The camera I have has viewfinder choices of 35, 50, and mag, the latter is, I believe, the 35 turned around.<br>

Yes, 35mm LTM lenses are small. With the lens shade it fits inside the case.</p>

-- glen

<blockquote>

<p>are you sure there are no more bits to come?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You know me, you really know me, don't you?</p>

<p>Of course, I looked at the Deschin book and noted that the "Nooky" - the Auto-Up - had been offered as a Canon accessory. Found one of those at KEH (like the one I got for the Nikon S2), and a post is now in preparation. Watch the skies! or the internet, rather.</p>

<p>The alternative is to work on the paper I have to give in Tampa in a few weeks.....</p>

• 3 months later...