Good Mail Order Film Lab

<p>Greetings everybody, I was wondering if anybody knew of a good mail order film processing lab. My local Walgreens where I used to go to get my film developed no longer does in house processing. Instead they mail out the film, have it processed and they send back your pictures on a CD as well as the prints, but NO NEGATIVES. And the Walgreens one town over doesn't processes film anymore either. I have some rolls of film that I really want to get developed. I found a place online that offers film processing called Mpix (http://www.mpix.com/products/film/) and I was wondering if any of you guys had heard of them, if they do a good job at developing film, or if there are any other good places to send my film. All I want is to have my film developed and the film scanned onto a CD. I don't need the prints right away, I could just choose which prints I want once I get the images on a CD. Thanks for any and all replies!</p>

<p>Hello - While I live on the East Coast, I regularly send film to North Coast Photographic in California. For the past year or so, I have sent them C-41, E-6, and B/W and have been uniformly pleased with their consistent quality. Slides are returned neatly mounted and very clean - a big plus when one is scanning into the computer for integrating film into a digital workflow. Likewise their processing of negative films has also been impeccable.<br>

I discovered NCPS on Ken Rockwell's web site. He raved about their enhanced scans, which come back to you on DVD. As scanning takes so much time to do right, I thought I'd try this service. While there are still times I'll prefer to scan a slide or neg myself, I'd have to say the NCPS scans are, by and large, impressive.<br>

I was also EXTREMELY impressed with the 4x6 prints they have made from my color negative and B/W orders - so good I'd consider them guide print caliber for making exhibit enlargements. They look like they are done by photo-sensitive professionals - not gum-chewing slackers letting the auto-everything machine do, well, everything.<br>

I should qualify this rave by saying I've not had occasion to send NCPS any film over the past couple of months, but, unless something's gone terribly wrong, I'd have no reason to think they've slipped.<br>

Their web site is very complete and easy to navigate and you get the feeling they really ENJOY working with film - Rare and commendable in what can be a genuine minefield of disappointment.<br>

http://www.northcoastphoto.com/<br>

Give them a try - I don't think you'll be disappointed.<br>

Steve Ember<br>

P.S: I've been shooting film for decades and continue to do so alongside of digital.</p>

<p>I have used both North Coast and The Darkroom and find them both excellent. I think you will find though, that North Coast will be slightly less expensive after you add up all shipping costs and take into consideration the size of the scans. The "enhanced" scans from North Coast are considerably better than the standard scans from The Darkroom. You can get higher res scans from The Darkroom, but they add considerably to the cost. But again, either service does a very good job. You may also want to check out Dwaynes. Their standard scans are good, processing cost quite low, but they cut out all the frills such as online posting and sleeving of negatives. Overall, I would say North Coast is the best service. The downside is if you live on the East Coast, then your film has to travel across country, ... twice. That always creates some angst in me! So you may want to use a service that is closer to you.</p>

<p>As for Mpix, they are a TERRIFIC DIGITAL print service. However, I have never used their film processing service, so I cannot speak from experience. I will say, however, that I SUSPECT their film processing is only done by a fully automated machine. The fact that they can only do 35mm C41 makes that suspicion likely accurate. The people at North Coast, Dwaynes, and The Darkroom are hands on pros who treat your film as it should be treated. Also, the standard scans from Mpix are quite small, and even the "higher resolution" scans do not impress me from a size standpoint. Again, Mpix is a great place to upload digital files for prints, (I use them often), but I do not suggest their film service. It is a sideline with them, NOT their everyday way of life.</p>

<p>Steve Parrott has offered some great advice and analysis. I am curious though...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>North Coast will be slightly less expensive after you add up all shipping costs</p>

</blockquote>

<p>...since thedarkroom.com has free postage-paid mailers you can send them your film in. Does North Coast also offer this? </p>

<p>I don't use Mpix for developing either, but they are a very good printing service. One of my favorite "cheats" is to shoot Kodak's BW400CN C-41 B&W film, and since printing it is a pain (my supply of Panalure is not infinite) I will sometimes scan the negative and send it to Mpix for "true B&W" printing on real photo paper. BW400CN, with digital ICE turned on, scans so beautifully... it makes everyone look like Ansel Adams.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Patrick... I was only going by my cost experience. The higher cost to me for using The Darkroom is because I would get the larger scans. Yes, if you get the "standard" process / scan at The Darkroom, it might come out a little less expensive than North Coast. Either way, it is so close in cost between the two that I think the bigger issue is which lab is closer to you. North Coast and The Darkroom are both California based. Dwaynes is in Kansas.</p>

<p>The main thing I am saying to to add up ALL costs for the services you want.</p>

<p>Hey, I just came from a film discussion thread in the casual topics forum, and now, I'm all amped-up to start shooting at least one roll of color negative, and one roll of Tri-X on every shoot. Thanks for everyone's suggestions here!</p>

<p>I just checked out North Coast's 35mm color/B+W film processing prices:</p>

<p>$5.75/roll develop-only.<br /> $11.95/roll "enhanced" scanning (at time of processing) at 3,339 x 5,035 pixels (48MB).</p>

<p>Total: <strong><em>$17.70 per roll,</em></strong> plus tax and shipping. This is about <em>half</em> what I would pay at a Los Angeles-area pro lab, which charges $43 (plus, 9% sales tax) for similar services, saving me about $25 per roll. Thanks again, guys!</p>

<p>Okay, now I just looked at The Darkroom:</p>

<p>$10 develop-only<br /> $10 "Super Scan" at 4,492 x 6,774 pixels (87.1MB).</p>

<p>Total: <strong><em>$20 per roll</em></strong> for a larger scan, plus a <em>free</em> mailer, <em>and</em> a complimentary web upload for fast review. Awesome!</p>

• 3 years later...
<p>I have used The Dark Room also. The first time they sent me a disk and it was fine, but this last time I used them I ordered and paid for the larger scan including discs, but never got the discs. You cannot call them as they have no phone number listed on their sight. I emailed them about this issue but never heard a word back from them. I will not use them again.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
image.thumb.jpeg.75eef1f8745902fc4481573969624d1e.jpeg I would have to recommend Willow Photo Lab, they are hands down the best lab I've ever used. They do quality work for very reasonable prices, and have a very friendly and helpful staff. They do all their prints on high quality wet-process silver-halide paper and I could not say one bad thing about them. Here's their price list: