Leica Look

<p>Since I just got the new M with CMOS sensor I thought I would see how it performed with a Leica look. I decided to compare 3 bodies. The Leica M8 with 35 f1.4 Lux, the New M with 50 F2 Cron and the Canon 5DII with a Leica lens (R series 35-70 F4). I shot all cameras with a metered white balance (5600K), manual focus (live view on the M and 5DII) and at F5.6, ISO 200 (160 on the M8) and about 1/400. All shots were taken from a tripod so here are the results</p><div>00c2W4-542854784.jpg.61d39a240ef16f993b1b2f08eea59c6b.jpg</div>

<p>Interestingly there is a significant difference in colour - I personally like the M8 CCD result here. Despite all three using a Leitz lens the I find that I actually prefer the Canon result to my New M but it is close. I also looked at resolution for the three images although this was not meant to be a resolution test. Here is the M8</p><div>00c2WG-542855484.jpg.68415a88e5fb5bbcb0dffa793d3a960b.jpg</div>

<p>Could the magenta cast of the M8 images be due to the lack of an IR filter (or was one on the lens when taking the images?). The M240 images are too green; the Canon seems to do best. When using my Apo-Telyt 180/3.4 on a Nikon DSLR, I observe a magenta cast - must be due to the coating?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Can someone tell me what gives these photos a "Leica look"? They're nice scenics and all, but I'm not sure I would be able to look at them and say, these were taken by a Leica if I hadn't been foretold. Maybe its because they're in color not B/W?</p>

The is a Leica IR filter on the M8 lens. Leica look was just the title I used - I was really just comparing what the three

bodies did with the same colour temperature setting. The scene is just part of my back yard so nothing special. In

general the M8 even without the filter does not have a real problem unless there are black synthetic materials in the shot.

I was surprised how green the M made the scene - usually I use AWB or daylight WB on the body and have not seen an

issue although the colours do differ from the M8. By using the same setting on all 3 I was shocked how green the M was.

I may try the test again using auto on all three to see what the M picks - compared to the Canon. I have found auto WB

pretty useless on the M8 in the past

<p>Joking apart. that is quite a variance between the three sensors. I usually do shoot with auto WB, then correct in PS afterwards, unless it's something critical, like a group portrait under tungsten or something. In terms of resolution, I've been alternating between the M and a D800e for the last two weeks and I'd rate them as about equal. </p>

<p>Thanks for the post,Philip. I'm impressed at the Canon rendering, frankly, especially since it was using a zoom lens (OK, a good one) while the Leica's all were using top tier prime lenses. It makes me appreciate the 5DMkII all the more and reduces significantly any digital Leica urges that may have been running around my head. </p>

<p>Thanks for the post,Philip. I'm impressed at the Canon rendering, frankly, especially since it was using a zoom lens (OK, a good one) while the Leica's all were using top tier prime lenses. It makes me appreciate the 5DMkII all the more and reduces significantly any digital Leica urges that may have been running around my head. </p>

<p>Louis the Leica zoom is noticeably sharper than the Canon 24-70 F2.8 that I use (mine is the first model not the new one). The zoom is as sharp as the Canon 50 F1.4 which is a pretty good lens once stopped down to F2.8. I was quite interested by the Leica M colours and decided to let the cameras have their own choice of settings. The Leica chose 7200K and +4 tint, while the Canon selected 6150K and +17. I also tried the Leica with a Leica IR filter on the lens and got an even more green image at 7450K and +4. So clearly you need to remove the filters when shooting the new M (but put them back for the M8). This also explains why I have been having to work more in RAW with the New M. In addition I let the cameras meter and I feel that the Leica over exposed by about 0.5 of a stop using the classic metering method but was spot on when using the new Matrix metering. Here are the images</p><div>00c2dn-542869584.jpg.678d78aa56bbad8a49808abb089f886c.jpg</div>

<p>The Leica is the sharper image and I like the Leica lenses better than the Canon ones (I personally prefer the look) but the New M does appear to have a white balance issue - tending to have too much green. Of course this image contains a lot of green (which was partly why I chose it).</p>