Making Large Prints

amir_vii

<p>Hello All<br>

I'm scanning a role of medium format film for my school project. I'm scanning with an EpsonV500 at 2400dpi. I'm wondering what is the biggest print size I can make from these negatives? Lets say if I'm printing at 700 dpi or 300 dpi for example. <br>

My negative is 5256x5256 pixels </p>

<p>Amir, From a file of those dimensions a high quality 18" x 18" print can be made. (5256/ 300) A lower quality 29" x 29" print can also be made, (5256/180) though, since the viewing distance of the print will also be greater I doubt anyone will notice the difference. I've made many satisfactory (your mileage may vary) 12" x 18" prints at 180 px\in. Hope this helps. Best, LM.</p>

<p>Its not just a question of counting pixels, and for me I would not choose a V500 scanner for a print from MF at more than about 12" sq for viewing from close up. Thats not to say that the scanner can't be used above that level- just that the bigger you go the more it becomes clear that better scanners will facilitate a bigger print. </p>

<p>I'd be taking into account these points</p>

<ul>

<li>The scanner doesn't focus , and you don't mention a third party film holder to help scan as close as you can to the scanners' focus point. I use one with my V700 and it makes a difference.</li>

<li>It seems like this is your first attempt at scanning. It's to an extent a mechanical process but thats not to say there isn't a learning curve. </li>

<li>Irrespective of the numbers on the scanner, you may not in reality be getting quite all of the 2400ppi that you're setting on the machine.</li>

<li>One of the weaknesses of flatbeds is restricted Dmax which means that shadows tend towards uniform black. The bigger the print you make the more obvious it becomes that there's insufficient detail in shadow areas. </li>

<li>I think the correct way to consider viewing distance is that, other things equal, a bigger print from a given scan <strong><em>needs </em></strong>to be viewed from further away. That may not always happen. If your audience for this print is curious, or is viewing all prints in -hand for example, you may not be able to guarantee that a bigger print will in fact be viewed from further away. Watch how some people behave in a Photographic Gallery.</li>

</ul>

<p>If the pixels sharply sample the image, then printing at 200 dpi should be fine. My digital back (4070 x 4070 pixels format) makes a great 20 x 20 inch print at 200 dpi.</p>

<p>But don't be afraid to break the rules. I have a 40 x 30 inch poster over my desk, from a 2400 ppi Epson 4990 scan of 645 film; sure it's not sharp close up (this is printed at only ~175 dpi and the scanner doesn't really resolve 2400 ppi in the first place), but from where I sit it looks pretty good, and it always attracts nice comments from visitors!</p>

<p>How large you can print depends on several factors:</p>

<p>1. how sharp the original shot is</p>

<p>2. how much film grain there is</p>

<p>and finally</p>

<p>3. how important overall image quality is to you and your audience.</p>

<p>If image quality is not important then you can obviously print as big as you want. But if it is then you might consider having some test prints made in various sizes to see what you like.</p>