Fungus

brian_hooks

<p>My experience is that fungus damages the coatings, at least in the older lenses. While this really does not seem to change the image quality, it is quite visible when looking through the lens even after cleaning, and would affect the future value of the lens.</p>

<p>The lens would have to be a very good deal to attract my interest.</p>

<p>Just had my 55mm Micro 2.8 CLAd, $65.00, the internal elements looked awful after 30 years, but the CLA proved very successful, clear as new, then they oiled the helicoid of course. There must be different kinds of mold, or conditions contributing to etching. Obviously etching would be the worst, but again, I'm siting my own good fortune, as I'm very happy with the results.</p>

<p>Kent, have you got a reference for fungal spores being killed by freezing? In general they're tough little beggars to kill and can go dormant for a while, only to be revived in the presence of enough heat/moisture/nutrient.</p>

<p>One thing I've learned through bitter experience is that natural leather camera and lens cases definitely aren't a good idea. The leather provides an ideal breeding environment for fungi that will then go on to attack your glassware. I only found this out through disposing of some old leather lens cases and replacing them with ones made of synthetic material. Before that the lenses kept in those cases were almost permanently 'fungalised', and required frequent treatment.</p>