55-250 IS II zoom

george_mazzetti1

<p>I briefly tested it and the one I looked at wasn't bad. Don't expect razor sharpness wide open all the way to the corners, but in the center, especially if stopped down a stop, it should be pretty sharp.</p>

<p>Don't expect the IS to work miracles. Have you tried it on a tripod?</p>

<p>I've read a lot of posts in which people stated that they felt that the 1st version was sharper, and that was indeed my experience. I used my Dad's version 1 and was so impressed by it that I decided to get one to use when I didn't feel like lugging the 70-200/2.8 around. I got a version II thinking that it would be even better than the first but it wasn't nearly as sharp. The version 1 was impressively sharp. I wonder what the STM version is like...</p>

<p>The hottest low priced lenses for Canon are the Tamron lenses. The Tamron 18-270 VC and the Tamron 70-300 VC are both excellent lenses for the money. I shoot with the Tamron 24-70 F2.8 VC and Tamron 70-300 VC and they are close to being L-series lens quality in both build and IQ.<br>

When I first started shooting I tried the Canon 55-250 and it really is a toy compared to Tamron VC lenses at about the same price.</p>

<p>Hi, I don't know if I am off the mark. When I was about to purchase my first photography equipment and had posted in this site , asking for recommendations on lenses, I was told that any lens with more than 3x zoom would not be optically sharp on further end. I was told that I was better off buying two lens covering that range instead.</p>

<p>It depends on the lens and it depends on your output requirements. Are you making wall-sized prints or are you shooting for small prints and web images? How many images would you miss by having to change lenses? Is weight and portability an issue? Etc. <br>

Generalizations work a lot of the time, but not always.</p>