Problem when posting response if not logged in

mendel_leisk

<p>Yeah I know, stop doing that. But:</p>

<p>I've been changing my passwords due to the Adobe hacking. Came to the site today, didn't notice I wasn't logged in, read an interesting question, typed a <em>lengthy</em> response, attempted to post it, and was redirected to the log-in page.</p>

<p>All well and good, but after logging in my tome is no where to be found. Frustrating!</p>

<p>John, that was what I was thinking, after.... Yeah I know when this site was experiencing VERY frequent "gateway timeout..." I got into the habit.<br>

Phil, I tried backing up through the pages, but just got a blank.<br>

Basically, the site allows you to happily type away, then loses the text, if you're not logged-in.<br>

Any administrators care to weigh in? Or is this forum just for members to comisserate, LOL.</p>

<p>It isn't a website issue. There's nothing any website can do about it if you're not logged in. Some browsers will cache almost anything you do, including text entry, but it's not 100% certain. Depends on the type of text entry box, which varies significantly from site to site, blog to blog, etc.</p>

<p>Another option is to copy the text. I'll often do that if the website seems slow or times out. I'll just click select all (CTRL A) and copy (CTRL C), from the PC. Even if the browser doesn't cache the text it's still in the clipboard, even if I don't paste it to a text editor.</p>

<p>Thanks Lex. I frequently copy and paste, either just to clipboard, and/or to an open text editor. But when something runs smoothly 95% of the time you get complacent. I guess I'm just suggesting a site improvement:<br>

If a member isn't logged in, and typing a response, couldn't the redirect to log-in page include retention of the text that was typed?</p>

<p>Something for the wish list?</p>

<p>I appreciate this site marches to a different drummer in it's architecture.</p>

<p>Another one for the wish list:</p>

<p>On many other site forums, if you visit and/or contribute to a thread on one computer or device, if you revisit the forums on another computer/device: it recognizes you, and marks the same threads as read, orders them accordingly.</p>

<p>Mendel, can you remember specifically what page you were on when this occurred? I can't think of any way to type a response, lengthy or brief, to any discussion forum thread, article comment or photo comment/critique, without first being logged in. If I'm not logged in, clicking on any comment box immediately takes me to the login page. There's no way I can see to begin typing a reply until I'm actually logged in. (Testing using a Windows 7 PC and various browsers.)</p>

<p>Usually when my replies or comments don't get posted it's because I omitted a step, such as the confirmation button, before closing the browser or tab. Also, I'm a fast but clumsy typist and occasionally hit an odd key combination that accidentally closes my browser before I've finished confirming a comment. I just did that a moment ago while replying to this thread. Had to reopen the browser and start over.</p>

<p>I think Lex is correct - you must be logged in before typing a response. </p>

<p>The only way I could replicate Mendel's description was to log in, type a response without submitting, then open a new tab and log out from that tab, or clear browser history including cookies. This will leave the original response tab untouched, but any attempt to submit it will require a new login from the response tab or a new tab. </p>

<p>I had just changed my password, from another computer; I wonder if that was a factor? In other words:</p>

<p>There was a cookie residing on the computer where I had the problem, with an out-of-date password.</p>

<p>There was a response window, I was able to type in it, click the submit button.</p>

<p>Another possible factor, the problematic computer was at my work, with older version IE8.</p>

<p>I'll try logging out right now, then see if I can replicate.</p>

<p>Ok: after logging out, clicked on submit a response button (in this thread) and it took me to log-in page. In other words, no opportunity to type text without logging in. Which is good.</p>

<p>Funny it didn't work that way in that previous instance. The two factors I can think of:</p>

<p>* had cookie with out of date log-in, and set to auto-login.<br>

* older IE8</p>

<p>Ok, thanks for the attention.</p>