Vivian Maier Documentary to Open Nov 17

wogears

<blockquote>

<p>Four years ago, Maloof reached out to several museums looking for help in setting up Maier’s archive and researching her life, but all refused. And even in spite of incredible interest in Maier’s photos and her life, <em>the art world has still been reserved in its response to her work</em> — something Maloof hopes will be changed by the documentary and the release of more of her images.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There's that ever mysterious "art world" again. Given the popular interest that her photos have created, you'd think museums and galleries would want to cash in on that. Her work has, in fact, been shown in fairly prestigious venues in many large cities. But I suppose that Maloof is looking for support for more active archiving and research, as opposed to just exhibitions of her work. I would definitely see this film. Hopefully it will be as advertised: an attempt at looking into her life and what made her tick, rather than just being about Maloof's efforts. I think some inclusion of what Maloof has done is certainly merited. </p>