Film camera question

julie_a.

<p>I found an old manual film Nikon I had years ago. When I depress the shutter on any shutter speed besides M250, I can't hear it (the mirror?) "release". I have to move the dial over to "B" to get it to release. Why is that happening? Is this something I'm doing wrong, or is the camera in need of repair?<br>

Thanks for any help. I'd love to play around with it a bit, and it's been a long time since I've had a film camera!</p>

<p>First thing to do is install new batteries. With dead or very weak batteries on any speed other than M250 or B, the FE2 or FA (the only two manual Nikons that come to mind with M250 on the shutter speed dial) either the shutter will not fire at all or it will fire an incomplete cycle and lock the mirror up. The dial then needs to be moved to M250 or B to clear the error and finish the cycle.</p>

<p>Your camera takes common easy to find 1.5v LR44/A76 (alkaline) or SR44/S76 (silver oxide) button cells. Any place that sells watch batteries will carry them. These are commonly sold as Energizer 303/357 or equivalent. You need two.</p>

<p>Do tell us which model, please, Julie. But if it is indeed an FA, I seem to recall that it does some odd things until you put film in it. I sold mine a year ago.<br>

In any case, I second the fresh batteries suggestion.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But if it is indeed an FA, I seem to recall that it does some odd things until you put film in it. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>The FE2 would fire at 1/250 until you had advanced to frame 1, even though you had the shutter set to automatic. So you wouldn't encounter a shutter speed of several seconds before the first frame if you loaded in dim light.</p>

• 2 weeks later...