5D III awful results

louise_page

<p>[[i noticed Louise never responded again in this forum so I will assume it to be a troll.]]</p>

<p>People new to the forum often don't realize they will only be notified of responses if they opt-in to the notification system for their thread. It would not be the first time that a new user did not realize they had received answers to their question. </p>

<p>Of course it's a troll post -- she "joined" PN 6 days ago to make this one single solitary post? If anyone (not anyone, an experienced photographer) were experiencing the same awful results as her then Canon would've known about this a LONG TIME ago and the camera would be DOA.</p>

<p>Dear All<br>

Can I first say a massive thank you for all your replies and assure you I am not a troll! I assure you I,m a big canon fan and thats why i,m posted this as i love the autofocus of the new canon 5dIII and want to resolve the other issues. But your answers are very encouraging and i,m hopefully going to find a way through.<br>

Sorry I,ve not responded so far but thanks Rob, i hadnt realised the opt-in and have only just had time to check, as its a very busy time for me workwise.<br>

I am shooting in Raw and always have, and love the look of images on the camera playback but when i put through ACR, with default settings, which i have played around with endlessly I cannot seem to get the WB correct. I shoot a lot of asian & Black children in schools and I am definately struggling with their skintones . After a bit more experimenting this week outside with strong backlight etc as i,ve always leant towards over exposure and my 5DII seemed to handle the highlights better. I'd love to process through DPP as i do find the color balance better but its just to slow to edit when i,m loading on average 800- 1000 images a time.<br>

I have contacted canon support and they,ve suggested i do as you say take identical pics with both cameras and send on.<br>

I have callibrated my monitor with Spyder 3 elite and work in Adobe RGB In ACR and on camera as id did with 5D11.<br>

i,ve turned off all noise reduction, ALO, HT, and tried shooting in Faithful, standard, neutral , and picked that option in ACR camera callibration .<br>

The WB is definately my biggest issue but I,m now wondering if i,m just being overly fussy or just preferring the less "sharp" results of the 5DII ?<br>

louise paige<br>

http://www.louisepaige.com</p>

<p>ignore last post, realised it comes up after post submitted. so image i have posted, which isnt best as had to reduce so lowres to show, but does anyone agree that the highlights around kids heads strange, so they look like cut-outs against background, sort of 3D ish?</p>

<p>What I see if a shot that has held a lot of tonal range in the blacks without blowing out the highlights. I would never suspect anything wrong. Cameras from 2004 could hardly do that.<br /> As for colour balance, could look a little red/orange, but this is the season that people tan in so I can't be sure from this alone, only the collars look a bit warm. Anyway I find Canon defaults put the contrast and colour up a bit, and the picture styles also include some sharpening when you look in DPP. The sharpening looks artificial in landscapes but I like it better for people... I would fiddle around in Tool Palette first. Comparing camera colours can be a frustrating dead end because you might never get them to perfectly match other cameras.</p>

<p>Thanks Nico i know the canon 5dII has more dynamic range than the 5dIII , although the color debth i think is stronger on 5DIII i,m wondering if less dynamic range together with punchier color & sharpness is what i,m not liking. it just looks bit "digital" almost cartoonish to me.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
<p>I totally agree with Louise, I got very similar outcome in 5d3. Skin tone (face color) always express in yellow. AWB is awful in many indoor situations. Using a mobile phone's camera can have correct AWB in the same situation. 5d3 contrast is too high that you always can't get proper details in shadow areas. Of course you can tune and adjust it in LR but it's not what I prefer to do.</p>

• 2 years later...

<p>Hi guys, I am having similar issues.<br>

I've been a professional photographer making my sole income from photography + video since 2008 and my 5d2 was amazing. I just bought the 5d3 in May and the colors are exactly as this user has described.. </p>

<p>I found this thread by googline the issue.. </p>

I've been a professional photographer making my sole income from photography + video since 2008 and my 5d2 was amazing. I just bought the 5d3 in May and the colors are exactly as this user has described..</p>

<p>I found this thread by googline the issue..</p>

I've been a professional photographer making my sole income from photography + video since 2008 and my 5d2 was amazing. I just bought the 5d3 in May and the colors are exactly as this user has described..</p>

<p>I found this thread by googline the issue..</p>