What is your favorite photo shoot you've done?

<p>I can't pick a favorite. I have enjoyed some amazing photo travel excursions over the years. Death Valley was a fascinating place to explore, and the portfolio turned out quite well, IMHO. I once spent several weeks on the California coast shooting large format film, and I have many fond memories from that trip.</p>

<p>Some private events and portrait sittings were memorable at least in part because of the wonderful people involved. Any time that I'm shooting in New York, the experience exceeds all expectations.</p>

<p>I don't know. Shooting a junior high school play when I was in junior high, using a Yashica rangefinder, Plus-X and flash bulbs? Hiring a pilot to fly my wife and me around Mt. Denali in a Piper Super Cub, decades ago, shooting Kodachrome? Shooting the Santa Barbara Writer's Conference, and getting to photograph Ray Bradbury, Sue Grafton, T.C. Boyle and a bunch of my writer friends? Or being asked by an actor who I had wanted to photograph, a beautiful woman who is a dear friend of ours, to do the head shot for the playbill of her most recent play? The hummingbirds in my backyard, or the monarch butterflies in a local preserve? Shooting on a trip to the former Soviet Union, or the former Yugoslavia, or Bulgaria or China or my wife's family's ancestral castle on the Isle of Mull in Scotland? Maybe it was photographing a marriage equality rally in 2009 and (no connection to the photography) seeing the subject of the protest, California Prop. 8, get thrown out earlier this year.<br /> <br />I am essentially an amateur, despite a few pro gigs, so I do it because I like it. There has been too much joy doing this stuff to select one favorite</p>

<p>Let me zone in on the you photographed Ray Bradbury thing for a second. That is absolutely incredible!! I'm a Bradbury fan. All of those sound like such incredible experiences. I enjoy photography, the experiences you gain, and the people you meet doing it. </p>

<p>Baffin Island 30 years ago. Unfortunately, I was not a very good photographer then. </p>

<p>Come to think of it, I'm not a very good photographer now either, but my photographs would be very different now. Maybe I'll get another chance.</p>

<p>Like Dan, it's hard for me to pick one particular shoot that stands out; but, the five years I spent living and shooting in Arizona (as well as in New Mexico and Colorado) presented some fantastic opportunities. Having some good sales out of a gallery and restaurant didn't hurt, either . ;-)</p>

<p>In fact, my wife and I would really like to move back there. Anyone want to buy a house in Tennessee?</p>

Wetlands restoration site in northern California where I've been photographing for over 10 years. The ability to return to the same place time and time again has taught me a lot about photography and salt marsh restoration. <br>

<br>

A lot has gone wrong, like when I got stuck in the mud and had to dig myself out, sacrificing a boot in the process (I was <em>really</em> stuck).  Or my camera coming off the tripod while shooting. Then there are the ticks in the summertime. Rain and high tides in the winter.<br>

<br>

But so much more has gone right. The pictures show part of it.  The wetlands are so beautiful, that's what keeps me going back. --Sally

<p>That's easy for me. The <a href="http://manitowocairshow.com/"><em>Thunder on the Lakeshore</em> airshow in Manitowoc, Wisconsin</a> gives extraordinary opportunities for a few trusted photographers.<br>

Some shots from recent shows:</p>

<ul>

<li><a href="http://moving-target-photos.com/2012TotL/">2012</a></li>

<li><a href="http://moving-target-photos.com/2011TotL/">2011</a></li>

</ul>

<p>I've shot countless news assignments and other paying jobs over the years, but my favorite have been the photos I've done of my family, whether they're snapshots or formal portraits. Those are the ones that I still care about years later. Every year I help my wife put together a calendar that has a family picture for each month. One goes on the wall in our kitchen and several other copies go out to family and close friends. That's the photo project that gives me the most satisfaction each year.<br /><br />Not one that I shot, but the most important shoot I ever orchestrated was in 2006, when I was able to get my sister, brother, parents and all the kids together for a family portrait. My father died the next year, so that was the last portrait of the whole family.</p>

<p>Floating the Missouri River in central Montana. It's a 100-mile trip that follows the route of Lewis & Clark, and I take anywhere from 3 to 6 days. I like it so much I've done the trip over a dozen times. The sandstone cliffs are amazingly beautiful, and they impressed Lewis & Clark more than any other part of their cross-country trip. Allowing the river to push me along this route so rich with history, with a 5-mph wind at my back, with meadowlarks and mourning doves calling from the hills on both sides, and with no other person in sight, all of that is pure heaven.</p>

<p>My two favorites... While a student at Art Center I had a generic fashion assignment. I've never considered fashion a favorite subject, but I got into this one; booking some professional models who traded work for portfolio samples, renting 40's clothing and other props from a movie supplier, and shooting on location at LA's Union station. I had a couple of shots pre-conceived, but the best shot was one taken at the end of the roll; simply to use up the last frames. That image even won me a photo-of-the-month in American Photographer.<br>

Second was my first really professional assignment; taking photos of a friends landscaping jobs in Palm Springs, CA. This one involved a flight to southern California and hotel; shooting transparencies and negatives in multiple formats; etc. Lots of fun!</p>

<p>My favourite shoots were weddings I shot with my daughters as assistants. We worked together during their high school years. They alternated weekends and were truly gifted young apprentices. I didn't realize at the time how good they were or how much I'd miss them until they each moved away to attend different universities. Now, weddings are just work and I avoid them if possible. </p>

<p>Probably<a href="http://spirer.com/bwaynightmare/"> this one.</a> It was a real estate shoot, but the agent had never been inside. Dead rats, black mold, gas fumes, and one of my favorites. Place sold a few days after it was listed, I was paid but the photos weren't used due to the condition. Lots of fun, wish I could get back in.</p>

<p><em>What is your favorite photo shoot you've done?</em><br>

Always the last one I made, and it is not a joke. I tend to grow tired of what I have done before and always demand more efforts and skills and not least, I change interest and modes of expression over time.</p>

<p>Any time I go out wandering with my camera is time well spent for me, even if it's only meandering about in my neighborhood. I simply love the activity of shooting, regardless of the outcome. If I had to come up with a specific response to the OP, my favorite shoots have involved being on the streets of New York City. </p>

<p>My other favorites: (1) shooting at Red Rock Canyon in Nevada in January, when there was about 6 inches of freshly fallen snow on the ground; (2) experiencing winter in western New York state in early February and shooting at Letchworth State Park; and (3) traversing the 25 mile driving loop in Big Cypress Preserve in south Florida and being able to photograph flora and fauna in areas of cypress swamp and grassland prairie.</p>

<p>Too many to list, my wife is currently on the cover of a magazine as a result of a year long assignment on hiking. The one I did last night for the New York Times required me to plant a remote, rent a sound blimp...I had a blast and did great on it. <br /> For sure another fave was about 17 years ago when I documented the restoration of the inside of the Apollo 13 space capsule for a museum. One night we pulled an access panel that had not been opened since the spacecraft was built. It showed that during re-entry a burn mark came really close to hitting an oxygen line. It made the AP wire and my self and the restoration tech had a conference call with James Lovell...incredible.</p>