Photo of the day, again

stp

<p>Even though the Photo of the Day (POTD) is now archived and theoretically any discussion can continue for more than one day (and it has on at least one POTD), the truth is that archived photos are never going to attract the same amount of attention as the one that is presently posted on the opening page. I've also noticed that the number of comments attributed to the POTD includes those that were given before the photo was chosen as the POTD (padding the "score?"). Nevertheless, participation in the POTD discussion seems to be "rather low." </p>

<p>I think the POTW and POTD should part company and serve two entirely different purposes. The POTW should continue as before: not necessarily the best photo, but one that, for one or more reasons, is likely to elicit discussion. The name of the POTW should be changed, as has been suggested many times, to reflect this. I really look forward to a return of the POTW (or Critique of the Week, or....).</p>

<p>Regarding the POTD, since it really isn't going to have time to generate much discussion, I think whoever is responsible for selecting the POTD should put a lot more time into selecting an image that really stands out as a really great photo in its category, one that is truly worthy of being called a POTD. Too often the POTD just looks like the most recent submission, IMO. While some POTDs have been interesting, I've generally been spectacularly unimpressed with the selections. I often think that if that's the best that can be produced on this site, we're in a world of hurt.</p>

<p>Stephen: I like your suggestions about the different functions to be served by the POTD and POTW. For whatever it's worth, I think there should be some time constraints imposed in selecting the POTD, to ensure that each photograph so designated is reasonably current. Otherwise, as has happened with the POTW, selections sometimes are two to three years old.</p>

<p>Agree completely with Steven's assessment.<br>

Michael's suggestion will make matters worse by narrowing the field further.<br>

<br />The images selected seem to be about shallow curbside appeal which is one of the many reasons why the potd generates next to no discussion.</p>

<p>PoTD images are recent. Mentioned before in other threads, PoTW will be back soon and will also be recent additions. Jin has been working on it and should be ready soon he has been working on a database upgrade that we expect will be a significant performance enhancer, which we've all been after for quite some time. </p>

<p>Let me add that I appreciate the significant efforts by Fred G. to get some dialogue going on the POTD. I was thinking of Fred's efforts last week as I was trying to climb some steep dunes with deep sand in the heat of southern Utah. Both are an uphill struggle with inherent difficulties. But still, Fred made the effort for the good of the forum and therefore the good of PN itself.</p>

<p>You are correct Stephen, Fred's efforts have been terrific and have not gone unnoticed. They are certainly appreciated by not only myself but I am sure everyone that reads his contributions. </p>