Camera Trouble

mark_s11

<p>Hi, I'm having trouble with a Canon Rebel camera with lens 18mm-55mm, when I try to take a photo sometimes the red light in the center of the viewfinder doesn't show or it sometimes does show, and when I press the shutter button it does not take the photo. When I use manual focus it does fine, when back on auto focus it randomly will work fine only to mess up again after a couples of shots. It does this in all kinds of lighting and dial settings, sometimes auto focus will get stuck working properly at around 24mm but not with the rest and then it doesn't work at all and so on. Does anyone know what could be causing this? It's quite the frustration, the camera has never been dropped or treated badly and was new when we got it.</p>

<p>[[it does this in all kinds of lighting and dial settings]]</p>

<p>So, in full Auto mode, in normal daylight, at normal distances, the camera doesn't focus with the 18-55? Have you tried another lens? </p>

<p>As Brett and Rob indicate it would be helpful to know what you are shooting, at what distance, assuming good lighting and visible contrast in the focus point. Normally the problem you are defining is when the center AF (assuming you've got it set that way) can't verify a focus so it won't take the shot. I'm not aware of any setting that would allow you to override that, but Dan could be correct that a setting exists.</p>

<p>The core problem is that the camera is telling you that it cannot focus. This can occassionally happen. The first thing to check is that there is sufficient contrast where you want to focus; if it is a solid colour, the camera will have big trouble locking the focus (and then, it will not allow you to take the photo - normal behaviour indeed).<br>

The other thing, as mentioned, is the minimal focus distance; I do not know exactly for this lens, but usually for this type of lens, it can focus down to ~40cm/15", and anything closer than that, it cannot focus on.</p>

<p>So, it would help if you can better describe the situations in which you encounter the problem, and/or share the photos where you used manual focus instead after getting this problem. Most likely, there is nothing wrong with the camera, but with more info, it is easier to tell.</p>

<p>Do you have a different lens? Perhaps a 50 1.8 lens would have less trouble focusing in low light. It looks like the autofocus is slow. These DSLRs can be difficult to handle with manual focus although not impossible.</p>

<p>Hello everyone, thank you for your input. The camera stopped working properly in daylight and in low light, the subject distance is at least 5 feet away every time, mostly in program mode. After trying out the 50mm lens the camera is doing fine again. The problem is that the 50mm is a fixed lens. I'm beginning to think the other lens is faulting, any suggestion on how to probably fix or why on earth it's having it's tantrum moments?</p>

<p>Mark,</p>

<p>The 50mm besides being a fixed lens is also a lot "faster". It's f1.8 aperture lets in a lot more light than the 18-55mm f2.5-5.6 ( or what ever variable f-stop your zoom has. ) kit lens you have, so, when the lighting gets a bit lower, the 50mm will allow the camera to focus better than the zoom lens. </p>

<p>Of course there COULD be something wrong with your lens. About the only thing you can do is look up how to clean the electrical contacts. Other than that, it's cheaper to just get another lens than have it repaired. It's not an expensive lens at all. </p>

<p>If the problem isn't the electrical contacts I could consider getting another lens, but I'll just have to deal with the 50mm space limitation and wait until the camera itself or 50mm lens die and forget about it. Thanks for your responses.</p>

<p>Is this an old film Rebel? My wife had a similar problem, and it was just the command dial was set to the wrong setting for what she was trying to do. The manual will get you going in the right direction, assuming your batteries are fresh and there is nothing wrong w/ your gear.</p>