Database Enhancements Complete - Feedback wanted

G-P

<p>Hello Everyone! Jin has made some enhancements to our database configuration as a result of that we are expecting to see improved performance across the board. Ideally looking for feedback from visitors that have used the site since 10:10 EST last evening. Only positive feedback though....kidding of course....all feedback is welcome.</p>

<p>Tried out several DB functions.</p>

<ul>

<li>Workspace - fast access, faster I think, than before.</li>

<li>90-day list - seems snappier, wasn't usually a problem though.</li>

<li>full history of posts - it does seem to work better. In past, usually got at least of couple of time-outs before finally getting the list/</li>

</ul>

<p>Thanks, this makes it easier.</p>

<p>LATER,<br>

experience with the "full history" function is still slow (not surprisingly, mine must be one of the biggest) but once again, it hit it finally with only one try, no time out. Bravo.</p>

<p>This feedback is terrific - I will let the tech team of Jim, Geoff, Dave and Jack know the good news! Jin may have already let them know...but i'm sure they don't mind taking good news today.</p>

<p>Glenn-I'm surprised that you haven't received more feedback especially as slowness has been a problem for such a long time.<br /> Now, if you can do something about allowing participation in contests without having to go through Facebook as Cara previously suggested would be looked into, I'll be even happier and subscribe again!<br /> Thanks, cb :-)</p>

<p>Hi Charles, Cara has touched on this subject before but you do not need a facebook account to participate in our contests. You only need to be a photo.net subscriber. Why is that you say? Well in the past we had contests open to all, but then we noticed multiple registrations coming from same ip address and those accounts were submitting more and voting more than the rules allow for 1 person. We could detect this before winners were chosen, however that is much more of a reactive than proactive solution to the problem. <br>

So again to be 100% clear, no facebook account needed to participate in contests....you only need to be photo.net subscriber! Which by the way is not the only subscriber benefit...99% ad free experience, $50 blurb coupon code rec'd immediately, PopPhoto digital subscription if you opt in for it - will take 4-5 weeks to show up from zinio (their digital magazine provider), you get a unique photodrop email address which makes it easy to email photos to your photo.net account...I could go on, but there are more benefits listed on our registration page and more coming...I promise! </p>

<p>Maybe the low level of feedback is due to our being apprehensive about whether or not the faster access will continue. Months ago there would sometime be temporary improvements but then performance would slide. I must say though, so far, so good and thanks for finally tending to this issue. </p>

<p>Workspace -- No substantial wait, though mine is quite large -- formerly a big problem with many attempts.</p>

<p>Prior commented on photos: For the first time got the whole list (after a substantial sorting wait) on the first try. This is unheard of and cause for celebration! (It's a long list with almost 17,000 comments for the sort.) It used to take sometimes 1/2 hour to get this list to show because of timeouts.</p>

<p>Thank you so much.</p>

<p>john</p>

<p>John (Crosley)</p>

<p>Going on -<br /> The <strong>humongous</strong> (seems to be standard English now) history file of <em>all</em> my posts (not just 90-day) now still takes a while, but usually makes it to the display with just one try. Formerly had to do multiple time-out attempts to get it. At most 2 stabs seems to get it.</p>

<p>Glenn (just came from Venice biennale) the site in general functions much faster ! BRAVO to Jin and his staff ! just one<strong> time out</strong> entering' my work space" instead of 3-7 long ones.. this is really an impruvement !<br>

I look at the future of PN with the new managemet !( as well!). Good work Glenn!</p>

<p>Glenn,<br>

I suggest that you send out an e-mail notice to all users of the site announcing the faster performance. You may reclaim substantial traffic from the multitudes who have abandoned regular visits to the site over the months/years because of performance issues. GJ</p>

<p>I can now access follow up on my comments I've made and comments left on my images without numerous time outs.<br>

The process is still slow and will no doubt remain so until such time as someone heads the often offered suggestion to implement the option of only bringing up current comments and follow up. When I want to see if anyone has commented on my images since my last visit, perhaps a week ago, I do not have any need for the other 5,000 comments made over the past 7 years yet the server wastes resources and my time digging them all up. A likewise poor use of resources occurs for follow up on comments. I've never been able to figure out why no one addresses this issue.</p>

<p>My "new" internet access is through a cell phone "hot spot" so, at this time I can't really offer much current information as I have not tried to download any images. That's where I've had problems for months with the image downloader simply not working for me.<br>

At one time Jin provided me with a separate URL to download images which was working a month ago, . . . we'll see eventually.<br>

As soon as I can get an idea and get my head wrapped around the data usage with this hot spot, maybe I can try the newest version of the image downloader to see if it works at all.</p>

<p>I do think overall the site is working faster than it has for months! Although I've still gotten a few time outs and images in the threads (Weekly Nature & Canon thursday) loading slowly this evening, I tend to think it's coming from the cell phone hot spot more than the site itself.</p>

<p> </p>