Photoshop Alternatives?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Yep, I'm aware of all of that, Gerry. I guess the point I'm hinting at hasn't been picked up on, which is that <em>Adobe can charge whatever they like,</em> and complaining about on it here is going to have absolutely zero impact.</p>

<p>So - just as UK/European photographers have long been "gouged" by Adobe and every other software company (and camera maker) out there, despite the miles of online complaint about it has been written over the years - Adobe is going to take <em>no</em> notice of US users banging on about the CC "price increase", especially when they've been paying <em>well </em>under the odds for Adobe product, compared to the rest of the world, for donkey's years.</p>

<p>Give it some time, Adobe move to the cloud, will open market for some other players.<br>

By your copy now, be happy for 3 years, in 3 year time Instagram will do all job for hobbyist for free, take a shot and pick stile you want it to be processed, like " Ansel Adams stile", "Henri Cartier-Bresson stile<strong>" </strong>andof course you will be able to create custom presets, by-by Adobe.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I am going through this process right now. I'm considering Capture One Pro 7.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>To what end, Francisco?</p>

<p>Capture One 7 Pro is a <em>Lightroom</em> alternative (definitely <em>not</em> a Photoshop alternative), and Lightroom isn't part of the Creative Cloud.</p>

<p>Lr is <em>hugely</em> less expensive than Capture One 7 Pro too, for more functionality.</p>

<p>So I'm not sure about your rationale here - and I actually <em>use</em> Capture One 7 (Express) and DxO Optics Pro 8 (Photo Ninja too) in addition to Lightroom. Creative Cloud is no reason <em>in itself</em> to be looking at Capture One or any other Lightroom challenger.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>in 3 year time Instagram will do all job for hobbyist for free, take a shot and pick stile you want it to be processed, like " Ansel Adams stile", "Henri Cartier-Bresson stile"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That suggests that hobbyists have low needs and expectations, Nick - in fact many of us aspire to very high standards.</p>

<p>It takes a hell of a lot more than slapping on a preset style to make bird photography or fast motorsport photogaphy work.</p>

<p>Some of you have recommended Corel's PaintShop Pro. I admit that the feature list looks quite impressive, including 16-bit edit support.<br>

However, does anyone know if it supports the D800E NEF/RAW files? The list of supported raw formats on their website only lists the D800. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't support the D800E, but it's not like they don't list other variants of other camera models.</p>

<p>I have been using Photoshop 5.0 with Nik Silver Efex Pro II as a plug in to edit black and white images for printing (fine B&W prints are the main focus of my photography). Recently, following the purchase of Nik by Google, I was offered the complete Nik software suites for free since I had purchased Silver Efex Pro in the past and had updated to Pro II. Quite a bargain, and Color Efex Pro, etc. are quite capable programs. But, it makes wonder what Google has in mind for the photographic editing market. Specifically, if Google goes after Adobe for the high end market, will it try to break the Photoshop paradigm? Idle speculation perhaps, since Google isn't talking, but it didn't buy Nik if it had no future plans for photographic editing software.</p>

<p><strong>"But, it makes wonder what Google has in mind for the photographic editing market."</strong><br>

<br>

Same here. Picasa/G+ on many fronts has been ahead of Lightroom for years. They already do raw, but poorly and crude. If Google bought a decent raw converter like Capture One Pro and combined it with Nik, I really could see G+ being a contender</p>

<p>I've bought every upgrade since about PS5. They've generally cost about $199 or less and I've bought them about every two years. So on a monthly basis I've been paying about $8 a month for PS. Now they want me to pay $20 a month (this year, who knows what it will be next year or the year thereafter).<br>

If the upgrades were really all that important I might consider CC. But CS4 was the last upgrade that included a lot of things I use. CS5 and 6 contained only a couple things that that I use on any consistent basis and they aren't that big a deal. So I'll just stick with CS6, it works fine for me. If it stops working because of newer technology I'll have to give it some thought but for now and I think for a pretty long time it's an easy decision to avoid CC at $20 a month and stick with CS6 which I already have.<br>

Frankly I'm actually kind of happy about it. I upgraded to CS6 only because of Adobe's change to a "one generation back" upgrade policy, not because I really wanted any of the new features. I'd probably have continued doing that just on the off-chance that they might come up with some new killer feature that I really wanted in the future. Now I don't have to worry about constant upgrades that were unimportant to me. </p>

<p>John d, you can upgrade from CS5 to CS6. I found the link to buy CS6 products on Scott Kelby's website.</p>

<p><a href="https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html?start=20">https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html?start=20</a></p>

<p>Click on the buy button, then the down arrow to select upgrade version.</p>

• 6 months later...

<p>If you don't want to use the latest tools available in the Photoshop, you can now get adobe Photoshop CS2 for free legally from Adobe.com.<br>

<a href="http://alternativeto.hubpages.com/hub/10-free-cross-platform-Photoshop-alternatives-for-a-stunning-image">Download Adobe Photoshop CS2 for free with instructions.</a><br>

If you still want to use adobe Photoshop alternatives then, <br>

GimpShop is the best free Photoshop alternative which supports Windows, Linux and Mac. Corel Draw is the best professional alternative to Photoshop, if you want a Photoshop alternative which supports tethered shooting then Capture One Pro from Phase One is the best. <br>

<strong>Source:</strong> <a href="http://alternativeto.hubpages.com/hub/10-free-cross-platform-Photoshop-alternatives-for-a-stunning-image">22 online and offline Photoshop alternatives which support Windows,Linux, and Mac</a>.</p>

<p> </p>