LR4 sending wrong format file to CS6. Picture attached.

<p>I just migrated from PC to the new world of Mac. I lost or could not load properly my catalog and now Im fighting with file format issues. (growing pains I guess)<br>

Here is my question. On LR4 preferences I like to export the files as PDF's, sRGB, 8 bits, over to PS. When PS opens the files it does it as Adobe RGB 1998 8bit.<br>

Here is a picture of LR4 preferences dialog box.</p>

file://localhost/Users/alexelias/Desktop/Screen-Shot-2013-06-29-at-7.06.56-PM.jpg

this is what CS6 shows at the bottom left corner as the file info.

file://localhost/Users/alexelias/Desktop/Screen-Shot-2013-06-29-at-7.02.37-PM.jpg

And here is CS6 preferences dialog box.

file://localhost/Users/alexelias/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202013-06-29%20at%207.25.23%20PM.png

What am I missing here?

Also just for giggles. What are you guys opening your files like on Photoshop?

sRGB

Adobe RGB 98

or prophoto

Regards,

Alex

<blockquote>

<p>I like to <strong>export</strong> the files as <strong>PDF's</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>You mean PSDs? And you really mean Export right? <br>

You have two areas of the dialog above. The top is for editing in Photoshop CC and it clearly shows you are asking for sRGB but the area below it shows Adobe RGB for "external editor" and it's set for Adobe RGB (1998) and that's what you're getting. But if you really want to EXPORT, you should be setting this up as an Export Preset, this area is for doing an <em>Edit In</em> command which isn't the same. </p>

<p>OT but there should be no issue moving from Windows to Mac with that catalog. Not sure if you are fully aware of the implications of what you are about to do and with those settings (sRGB, 8-bit etc) especially if not all the data is appropriate for that forced export but that's a different topic. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Thanks Andrew. <br>

Yes I ment PSD. I normally used to right click on the image and press edit image in photoshop cs and that would open the image as an sRGB but for some reason that is not happening under this new set up.</p>

<p>Try setting the 2nd option (additional external editor) to Photoshop CC and set it for sRGB. Specify the editor as Photoshop CC. Does it work? </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Great idea Andrew and again thanks for your time helping me with this.<br>

Unfortunately that did not do it either. <br>

Here is a new screen shot of the new preferences.<br>

Eric... How do you figure your first or second comment can benefit me or anyone else reading this post? Why even spend time writing this kind of things with no value at all?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Unfortunately that did not do it either.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's really odd! Sure you only have one copy of Photoshop installed? So to clarify, you use Command E (Edit in) command, then you end up in Photoshop and the doc is in Adobe not sRGB? <br>

Might try deleting the LR preferences. See if that helps. <br>

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/preference-file-locations-lightroom-4.html<br>

LR 5 should be in the same area. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Eric... How do you figure your first or second comment can benefit me or anyone else reading this post? Why even spend time writing this kind of things with no value at all?<br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's his M.O. he has this tendency to waste a lot of PhotoNet users time for some reason. Ignore him. </p>

Alex, why pretend you didn't get my original response in your email box like everyone else that actually is valid? After realizing my

suggestion wouldn't work, I edited my comment to save you time and a bum-steer. I'll know better next time.

<p>I will try that tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. I hope it does. <br>

I guess my primary reason to work on sRGB it's because what I have done for so many years. I am always willing to learn new ideas. I know Adobe RGB it's a larger color space than sRGB, and profoto even larger than the previous 2.<br>

On my experience, (most likely due to user error) when I edit in the larger color spaces either 8 or 1 6 bit, aside from working with huge files, when I'm done with the editing and save a copy for print (which I normally take to costco) I seem to have a significant color shift as well as very moody and poor blacks; a great amount of data gets clipped out of the original file to fit the new jpeg format, despite playing with the rendering intent and other variables.<br>

I would not mind if you like to share your thoughts about your choice of color space.<br>

ERIC: If you sent me a response via e-mail, I have no clue where it went since I have not receive any notification of photo.net e-Mails. In any case, If you did send me one I appreciate your time to respond, wether or not it would have help I value your time. But, since I have not seen your E-Mail I hope you understand my comment to you. Therefore, accept my apologies.<br>

Regards<br>

Alex</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I guess my primary reason to work on sRGB it's because what I have done for so many years. I am always willing to learn new ideas.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>OK, watch this:<br>

Everything you thought you wanted to know about color gamut<br>

A pretty exhaustive 37 minute video examining the color gamut of RGB working spaces, images and output color spaces. All plotted in 2D and 3D to illustrate color gamut.<br>

High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/ColorGamut.mov<br />Low Res (YouTube):

</p>

<p>Great video. That was my understanding about the color spaces and perhaps the reason as to why I was working on sRGB. I doubt that costco is capable of reproducing a profoto file. By the time they shave all the colors that can't be reproduced on their printers I think I'll have a pretty bad rendition of my picture.<br>

I feel Iwould have to get something like the color Munky to profile their machine. In the other hand I should spend more time on this subject to feel more comfortable working on these color spaces.<br>

85% of my images end up display online and not so many on paper, and 99% of the times I don't print images at home. <br>

My question to you would be. When you work on Adobe RGB or profoto. Do you do it on 8 or 16 bit? and then when you are done editing. Do you convert to a specific output profile? Lets say you will show an image online, do you convert to sRGB and for print you convert to a specific printer profile that you created?<br>

Regards,<br>

Alex</p>

<blockquote>

<p> I doubt that costco is capable of reproducing a profoto file.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>No</strong> output device can, that's not the point. The Costco output device has a gamut that exceeds sRGB in areas of color space, that's the point. The Costco printers have been profiled already and those profiles are available (do a Google search for Dry Creak Coscto profiles). </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do you do it on 8 or 16 bit?<br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Always high bit (your capture devices is producing that data anyway):<br>

http://www.digitalphotopro.com/gear/imaging-tech/the-bit-depth-decision.html<br>

For online work (web), always sRGB (for the time being). That's about the only time sRGB is useful. </p>

<p>Thanks Alex. </p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>My question to you would be. When you work on Adobe RGB or profoto. Do you do it on 8 or 16 bit? and then when you are done editing. Do you convert to a specific output profile? Lets say you will show an image online, do you convert to sRGB</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Most of us do not chose a better time or place and switch back and forth between ProPhoto or Adobe RGB spaces. Most of us chose a larger color gamut other than sRGB and just stick with it in our settings; some use ProPhoto and some use Adobe RGB. ProPhoto is the largest most common gamut and is the most popular to use if your software supports it.</p>

<p>Most that shoot in raw, then open as 16 bit in ProPhoto and then save as a 16 bit tif. The only reason to make jpg's in my work-flow is to send an image to the web or send to the printer and is in which the only time I convert to sRGB or an icc profile.</p>

<p>And I feel we need to apologize for Andrew's antics. The more I seem to ignore him, like this thread, the more he seems to over react. I used to think it was just me but once you make the rounds with his posting history here, or at Luminous Landscape and the Adobe user forums, you'll quickly see I'm not special to his insults and ad hominem attacks. His MO is to wander around trying to fight and taking threads to the gutter...<br>

<a href="/digital-darkroom-forum/00bll5">http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00bll5</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well, once again thank you guys. <br>

Tudor, Andrew and Eric.<br>

This is the screen shot of what I get when I right click on top of the image. (I click the very top one) Edit in Adobe Photoshop CC and the image will open there as Adobe RGB 1998.<br>

If I open the image via, command E, it also opens the file in photoshop as Adobe RGB 1998.</p>

<p> </p>