The Nikon Strap

pge

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using Nikons since 1986 and have shot thousands of professional assignments with them. When I buy a

camera, I put the strap on that it came with and never think about it again.

On my big heavy lenses such as 400mm f3.5, I have Bronica straps, they are a double weight with stainless pass-

throughs and never fray or fuzz up.

I have one black leather Nikon strap that I bought years ago because I always keep a solid black strap on one of my

work cameras for use in certain places where there might be very formal gatherings.

<p>UPstraps on everything. Larger cameras have the Quick Release model to get the strap out of the way on tripods. Logos on big cameras are taped over. In my experience over 50 years, leather straps eventually crack and break, or get mouldy. I trust in Kevlar.</p>

<p>I use a Tamrac Neoprene Boomerang Strap. Item #N-5057 in B&H's latest catalog, p 198. It is 2.5" wide neoprene in the back with a loose nylon strap attached for additional support, for heavy outfits. Also quickly detaches for tripod use. Used mine for years, and have extra body attachments to quickly attach to my other camera bodies. My $.02 worth.<br>

Duane</p>

<p>I use a Tamrac Neoprene Boomerang Strap. Item #N-5057 in B&H's latest catalog, p 198. It is 2.5" wide neoprene in the back with a loose nylon strap attached for additional support, for heavy outfits. Also quickly detaches for tripod use. Used mine for years, and have extra body attachments to quickly attach to my other camera bodies. My $.02 worth.<br>

Duane</p>

<p>Hi Phil,</p>

<p>I have used OpTech straps on all my bodies for years and find they wear well, are comfortable and not showy. I don't like the big Nikon straps with the Model number splashed all over them.<br>

Anthony.....</p>

<p>I think, in certain environments, as others have pointed out a Nikon branded neckstrap could be an invitation for a thief. In my own experience, I haven't really had any concerns in that area and just use a strap that most satisfies my needs from a practical standpoint.</p>

<p>For that reason, I use Domke 1.5" Gripper straps on my cameras. I like the fact that I can use the quick-release swivel clips on those neckstraps to detach the strap, while leaving the nylon ends attached to the camera body. <br>

http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=domke&itemnum=742-6AS<br>

The same feature is available for the Op-Tech straps, which are quite popular (although their straps attach with a clip that can be squeezed to release the neckstrap from the portion attached to the camera). </p>

<p>I find this very convenient, especially for photography with a tripod. There's no need to have a camera neckstrap dangling off the camera when it's mounted on a tripod or monopod.<br>

Jim</p>

<p> </p>

I do a lot of hiking with my D300 and 24-70 f/2.8, which is a heavy combo, so the factory strap is way too slim for comfort.

A strap borrowed from an LL Bean overnight bag is virtually indestructable, has a padded neck piece and is cheap.. Mike

<p>I use Nikon straps, the wide distributes weight across a wider portion of my shoulder so it doesn't dig in. Also, I like the way Nikon straps, ' Lock in,' when set, it makes me feel at least better that the camera is staying.</p>

If I want to stay more inconspicuous to avoid possible attraction, I have several options. First and most used is a Thermos

"Ice" lunch bag. They are very sturdy and have a good strong strap, you can usually get them for around $10 on sale.

They are big enough to hold a camera and an extra lens plus other day goodies like a sandwich, ice pack, or drink, grain

bar, and you're set for a go round. Second might be an Igloo small hard lunch box that is good in the heat and good for

storing some day goodies and camera. Third, is just wear a loose parka type light wind breaker and keep your camera

and strap under the whole thing then just pop it out through the top snap a few snaps and move on. Same with the rain,

keep your camera under a loose rain parka and have a freezer bag over it just in case it starts pouring, nothing to worry

about, you're double protected.

<p>I keep the original straps sealed in case I need to sell.<br>

The straps are too rigid and too short, hurts my neck especially with all the heavy lenses. I also do not want to attract theft with the yellow D4 and D800E over my neck.<br>

I use shoulder sling straps with connections that can be exchanged quickly between different bodies</p>

<p>Op/Tech Pro Loop for working with D700+Grip+70-200mm VRII. I like the loops, if I need to use another camera, they're very easy to dismount and remount.....no more through, down, round, back up and through and use the slider to control the extra. The stretchy neoprene absorbs the jolts when jogging between fences.</p>

<p>Nothing for walk-round D5100 + 16-85mm....but thinking about a wrist strap.</p>

<p>Anyone tried the Op/Tech Grip Strap (not the E-Z)?</p>

<p>These answers are really interesting. I am surprised that very few people use the original strap because when I see Nikon's on the street they mostly all have the NIKON strap. Maybe these are just the cameras that I notice which supports the point many of you have made that the original straps bring attention to expensive cameras. Thanks for your responses.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>....when I <strong>see</strong> Nikons on the street they mostly all have the NIKON strap.<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It needs one of those eye-follower cameras that sees exactly where you're looking to see 'how' you identify a Nikon. It may be that your brain 'sees' YELLOW first, and then your conscious IDs the camera as a Nikon D***???<br>

<br>

There's no way to know how many 'anonymous' Nikons you passed by and didn't see!<br>

<br>

Canon's are a very dark BLUE with red edging and white lettering...:-)</p>

<p>I use the Tamrac Boomerang neoprene strap, p. 198 in latest B&H catalog. Non slip, 2.5" wide at the back of the neck and soft. I also use the Tamrac Zoom pac, P.202 in latest B&H catalog . Camera fits in even with a 70-300 4.5-5.6 lens pointed down. Shoulder strap PLUS a waist strap. Carried my Nikon all over Italy for two weeks, and I doubt anyone noticed. Was concerned about all the pickpocket talk, but camera was securred by two straps. No worries.<br>

Duane</p>

My friend who is a very busy local pro uses some type of X strap system that the cameras use a heavy connector in the

tripod thread and then either clips onto the front or hip section of the X strap. It's a pretty cool setup but it's not for me. I've

seen the Tamrac straps, if I still used a heavy camera all the time I would get one probably. I have gone the other way,

lighter smaller, except for using my big lenses which have their own straps.

<p>BlackRapid for me. All my lenses are 2.8 or faster. I'll carry my D300 with Sigma 30/1.4 without a strap. When using my 70-200 and 17-55 I most always have the battery grip attached to the D300. The BlackRapid is a must with this setup.</p>

<p>I use the carry strap CS-Pro II. It has a wide pad it's stretchy and comfy. It hangs at my side and when I need it, it's there in a heartbeat. When using two cameras I use the CS double. It balances well and carries two well. The CS-Pro also has a extra strap to use for long lens with two points of contact for better balance.</p>