It's getting dangerous out there.

spanky

<blockquote>

<p>If you say "well, a gun can kill more people at a greater distance", then so can a bomb.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sure, but how many of us can buy and use a gun vs. how many of us can get access to a decent bomb? Any stupid layman can calculate the difference...that a gun is much easier to get a hold of, than any bomb, except maybe a crude self made pipe bomb. And even then, how many accidental bomb have you seen on the news vs. accidental gun death, Carl?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Focusing on the weapon used to commit the crime does nothing to solve the issue.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Maybe, but it could have saved numerous injuries and lives...</p>

<p>Society wants to let the Homeless destroy the quality of life everywhere! Downtown LA is very similar in some areas, skid row spills over. Santa Monica is getting better after the entire area along along Ocean was all but taken over by the homeless a few years ago. But the liberal world would sacrifice the very fabric of civilization before allowing something to be done. I spend a lot of time in and around downtown LA and would never set foot in that area with out pepper spray combined with a constant vigilance. Anyone that makes eye contact with these people, anyone that does not keep as much distance from these people as possible is inviting trouble, or tragedy in this case.</p>

<p>I have to agree with some of the sentiments expressed earlier. It is most certainly not getting dangerous out there. It is getting safer in general. Different parts of cities change. Some get better some get worse, but the overall trend is towards better.</p>

<p>Also judgment matters. I don't want to spit on anyone's grave but I give a wide berth to belligerent or mental unstable characters. I walk around with a Rollei 6000 series SLR. Even if I am not killed or injured I don't want to take a $1,000 hit to the wallet if my equipment is damaged. There are some derelict factories near where I live and I like to take pictures of them but I am constantly looking over my shoulder and I leave my wallet locked in my glove box. Sometimes I leave my phone locked in my glove box as well. At least if I get mugged they won't get everything.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Society wants to let the Homeless destroy the quality of life everywhere!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Let me guess, Glenn Beck fan. A huge percentage of the homeless are mentally ill. No one likes seeing a guy covered in filth getting drunk under an overpass but for many of them it's not their fault. Blaming them isn't going to solve the problem.</p>

<p>To put this in context, here's the last time Ms. Calderon made the news:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.wehodaily.com/2010/05/27/gangster-girl-escapes-hollywood-police-station/">http://www.wehodaily.com/2010/05/27/gangster-girl-escapes-hollywood-police-station/</a></p>

<p>Beyond Ms. Calderon's past, I can't help feel that something is missing from this story. Was Ms. Calderon responding to a perceived slight? Was she trying to get a rise out of the homeless men? Was there a case of mistaken identity?</p>

<p>I've worked in less than safe neighborhoods in San Francisco for a while now. Shit happens, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've been threatened. In fact one abandoned train station I was at was mostly populated with photographers and graffiti artists.</p>

<p>As far as walking around with expensive equipment: that's what insurance is for. No sense in trying to hang on to gear at the expense of your well-being.</p>

<p>"Society wants to let the Homeless destroy the quality of life everywhere!"</p>

<p>Folks with pockets full of gold want to destroy the quality of life everywhere...they are so busy filling their pockets full of gold...taking from everyone...full of their own shit...materialism/power, and gold is this the name of their game.</p>

<p>Poverty, mental illness...send them to the.....</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for the above link Damon. Is anyone surprised at this? I'm certainly not. Not only did I have a hunch he had a previous rap sheet but it even crossed my mind that he might be one of the "non-violent" criminals that got sprung from joint early to ease over-crowding. He's not the first one either I might add to commit a crime after his release.</p>

<p>Been out of town. It is late but for the record, Glen Beck, no; and well we all know what he is... Related to safe streets, I would lean towards Ayn Rand. Her wisdom could greatly improve the aforementioned situation. Yes, a bit harsh. Possibly a muted version.<br>

Allen, four posts in less than an hour, wow. Your comments support my position. Society is not able to accept reality. We are lost in platitudes.<br>

These people need help; but the liberal world will not allow it to be required. They need to free. But on the other hand we as a society will gladly incarcerate honest and productive illegal aliens that have been here for decades. Curious, we want to arrest the productive and let the homeless degrade the overall quality of our public space, while blocking any help for them. This dichotomy highlights how hyper-emotion blocks an objective approach. <br>

Barry, try Wikipedia. Should get you up to speed on what society is. And it is not a "who" it would be more accurate to call it a "they" because it requires a group. And when it comes to who to blame: we are all to blame. The fact that the situation even exist points to a systemic problem; our process is in decline due to a lack of participation and absence of practicality. </p>

<p>Well that is an interesting question. I would say the Left, as they are commonly portrayed in the media. Now that we are in bifurcated society with no middle. Another explanation would be the 10% of the "left" that have 90% of the voice and propose contradicting position. In this case, the homeless are mentally ill, not capable of making decisions. But they also block any sort of mandatory help.</p>

That's funny. Just from anecdotal evidence admittedly, but I recall an avowed libertarian co-worker telling

me that people living under bridges deserve to live there and he didn't care one bit that they did- it was

their choice. Every man for himself- isn't that the conservative philosophy?

<p>Yes. It is. I don't confess to be conservative or liberal. As long as they stay under the bridge, I have no problems. Frankly I don't have any concern if they are at an intersection working cars weighting for the light. It in the cities where they are aggressive, where they are taking up the street makeshift tents, where they are harnessing the public. This is where the application of a practical approach would make sense. But we don't. They are clearly dangerous but nothing is. </p>

<p>"It in the cities where they are aggressive, where they are taking up the street makeshift tents, where they are harnessing the public." R. Hunt.</p>

<p>Best to avoid the cities and stick to your secure private security complex.</p>

<p>Or, perhaps take a secure vehicle with the appropriate security guards dependent on the area you will pass through.</p>

<p>You really don't want piss your pants...do you.</p>

<p>Sorry, but should we have special places for them...like a island somewhere...'Homeless Island" we could call it... somewhere in South America.</p>

<p>Wonder why they are homeless perhaps just lazy and looking for hand-outs.</p>

<p>What do you think R. Hunt Rose?</p>