Transcend CompactFlash Card for 7D

philrichardson

<p>I have a 7D and have used Sandisk cards exclusively, until about two months ago. I decided to try a Transcend 32gb, 400x, UDMA 7 card, to save a little money. The card seems to perform fine, records, reads and writes fast and with no corruption. I format the card in camera regularly when I have transferred files to my computer. But I am constantly getting a Windows pop-up message asking if I want to scan and fix the drive when I have it inserted in the USB port and am previewing or preparing to download files. The pop-up states there might be a problem with some of the files on this drive.</p>

<p>I have done the scan and fix several times, and it still will come back with the warning soon after. During a shoot, I will often delete files in camera that I don't want to keep. Don't know if this is a factor, but I have done that with my Sandisk drives and don't' get this same message. My firmware on the 7D is up to date, so I assume the UDMA 7 shouldn't be a problem. Anyone else having this problem? I can live with it, but it is irritating. Thanks in advance for your responses.</p>

<p>It probably has nothing to do with the card - it's most likely because you haven't used the 'Safely Remove Hardware' to eject / remove the card from the computer - Windows will sometimes remember that you haven't done this and comes up with the message you mention.</p>

<p>I used a Transcend 32GB in my 7D and no such messages, not even once. Works exactly the same as my SanDisk cards. I often format in Mac OS Disk Utility so I can swap it between cameras without messing up the file count.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>That's probably Windows 7 problem, I got this message every time i connect any USB memory - card reader or pendrive, but only in my office. My home computer seems to be much wiser... :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You may have to reinstall your OS to eliminate this issue.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>+1, only install another OS to replace it... ;-) j/k unfortunately I can't get a Ubuntu license for LR... :-(</p>

<p>This is a <em>common</em> message from windows, and <em>frequently</em> occurs when accessing mass storage devices over the USB. Have you downloaded and installed SP1 for win7 yet? if not, I'd do so, I (personally) noticed a marked drop in the number of these messages since doing so. (That, and MS has ended support for Win7 w/o SP1 installed)</p>

<p>Thanks for the tip Marcus. I went to control panel and checked for Windows updates. It says I am current on all updates. I presume that would include Service Pack 1. I saw several references to Service Pack 1 in my update history. I've used many other mass storage devices via USB on this computer and not gotten that message before. But I'm about ready to follow you into the Ubuntu world if that is the solution.</p>

<p>Linux geeks use man short for man pages Windows geeks use Google. If you must replace your OS to fix this problem it may be too complicated for you and something dumbed down like a MAC or Umbutu may be better for you. Otherwise, simpy follow the steps below.<br /> 1) goto Start<br /> 2) type msconfig<br /> 3) select Services Tab<br /> 4)Scroll down and Uncheck Shell Hardware Detection<br /> 5)Restart Windows<br>

6)Done.<br>

<a href="http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/35622/disable-scan-and-fix-for-removable-drives-in-windows/">http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/35622/disable-scan-and-fix-for-removable-drives-in-windows/</a></p>

<p>PS - just messing with you non-Windows users I am a network engineer and use every flavor of computer OS. I primarily work in datacenters most of what I do is Windows Server 2012 which is an extremely capable OS and VMware so I see very little client side OS's. Don't be afraid of what you don't know.</p>

<p>Thanks for the tip M. P. I just saw your message. That's an easy fix. As I said, on my computer the SanDisk CF cards work fine. I noticed that if I delete photos in camera on the Transcend card, it will give the message that I need to scan and fix. If I don't delete photos in camera as I'm shooting, I don't get the message when I connect it via USB. Just another clue as to what is going on. </p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I suggest the above recommendation because there is actually nothing wrong with your card and I would NOT recommend scan and fixing it. There are reports of people doing this and then not being able to recover their files.<br>

You are correct and dead on with the description. The actual problem is some CF cards handle the recycle bin differently than Windows. This is often cards which may have their own recovery software like Lexar cards. The end result is Windows can't read the recycle bin and thinks it's corrupt so tries to fix it. After formatting a CF card the recycle bin is only created after you delete something.<br>

I suspect if the first time you deleted a file off the in the computer then put it in the camera you could delete in camera and not get this error when putting back in computer. You would have to make sure you have set deleted files go to recycle bin for the card when its in computer. This is not default for removable devices</p>

<p> </p>