Enlarger... Bestfor 6x9 negatives?

I just went to buy some b&w film for my new fuJi gw 690ll in my local photostore. The guy convinced me to try enlarging my self using

/buying a used enlarger . Now he didnt know im shooting 6x9 ..thats why im asking for a goos advice on getting one of these things. My

dream is to make large enlargements but for a beginner smaller is also good... Which one is good to get and what do i need in terms of

objektives and filters and so on? Thanks so much for any surgestions :-)

<p>The two big brands are Omega and Beseler. In Omega, I don't think their B series models (for medium format) went as large as 6x9, only 6x6, so you would probably want to do with a D series, which can take up to 4x5. There's not that much difference in the D models, so even a D2 from the early 60s would be fine. For Beseler, I'm not sure if the 23C/23C-XL does 6x9 or just 6x7. If it does do 6x9 it's the one go go with. If not you need the 45M series, which is 4x5. There's also Durst, but not as popular or as flexible as the Omega and Beseler.<br />You'll need an enlarging lens, probably in the 90mm range, 6x9 negative holder. No filters unless you've going to print color, but best to start with B&W and master that before you try color. Any of the above enlargers will print color -- with the basic B&W models you can use filters or swap the standard condensor head for a color head. <br />Darkoom equipment is being basically given away these days so no need to settle for anything less than the best, aka Omega and Beseler. And the 4x5 models are the most rugged and versatile and now that they're affordable you'd might as well go with them.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, an enlarger that will do 6x9 will be quite a bit bigger and more expensive than one that will do 35mm and 6x6 negatives. I would recommend that you learn developing first, as many things you learn w/ developing apply to darkroom printing as well. You need a dedicated space for a darkroom too, while w/ developing all you need is a change bag and a kitchen sink, along w/ the chemicals, thermometers, containers, reels and developing tank, etc. If there's a college near you that has classes it would sure be a big help, although you can learn it on your own. There is a learning curve, you don't actually start developing and enlarging & printing right away.</p>

<p>There are not too many enlargers that will handle 6x9 (cm) that will not also handle 4x5 (inch), so if you want to buy an enlarger and you think you might ever use 4x5, go ahead and buy a 4x5 enlarger.</p>

<p>The two big brands <em>in the U.S.A.</em> are Omega and Beseler. In other parts of the world Durst, Meopta, and/or others may be as big or bigger. It probably makes sense to buy one that had been a popular model in your area--that will make it easier to buy accessories and spare parts.</p>

<p>In the U.S. at least, the Beseler 23C series is probably <em>the</em> classic 6x9 enlarger. The most recent models are 23CIII's. Just make sure you get one with the color head. If you want to get a slightly bigger enlarger that can also handle 4x5, the Beseler 45M series is the same as the 23C series, just larger. The Omega D2 and D5 were very popular too.</p>

<p>Last but not least, I agree with Steve that you probably ought to start by learning and doing black and white film developing. If you like that, you would prefer to print the film in a wet darkroom instead of scanning it, and you have a place where you can set up a darkroom, then look for an enlarger. By the way, both developing color film and printing film on color paper are a lot more complicated than doing the same with black and white.</p>

<p>The Beseler 23C can do 6x9. You'd need a 105mm or so enlarging lens. I haven't seen too many 6x9 negative holders, but it's possible to make your own if you don't find one. You'll have to keep your eyes open to find a 23C used, but there are a bunch around. It's just gonna cost a bunch if you find one outside of your easily traveled area and have to get it shipped. <br>

If you find a Beseler 45M series one, get it anyway. Once you get hooked on larger negatives, you'll want to go to 4x5 (trust me). <br>

If by some chance you're in Europe, Durst is a name that's bigger there, I think. Omegas are good as well. <br>

Don't worry about color for now - get the basics down with B&W. Developing color film isn't too difficult, but printing isn't nearly as easy as B&W. </p>

Think this through carefully. These enlargers may be inexpensive compared to pre digital times,

but they cost a fortune to ship safely, they are huge and requires quite a bit of permanent space

allocated. Darkroom work has a learning curve, and you will have to spend many days or weeks

in the dark before you have something even worthy showing other people. Materials are

becoming harder to get and can be quite expensive. This will not be an easy or cheap project.

As much as I love film and a good fiberbased print, it was a great relief to give up the darkroom

and just scan my 6x9 negatives, and print on an inkjet. I stil develop my film, and will not give

that up as long as I continue to shoot film.

Niels

<p>Dont' be scared off by suggestions that enlargers are big, materials are expensive or that B&W developing is difficult to learn. My Omega D2 has a "footprint" of maybe 2x2 feet and is about 3 feet high. A set of chemicals (developer, stop bath and fixer) is maybe $15-20 while a 100-sheet box of 8x10 paper (which can also be cut down for small sizes) is around $30-40. And I learned the basics of developing and printing when I was 13, and was working as a newspaper darkroom technician by 16.</p>

Thanks for all that geat answers that i will take into consideration :-). I guees somewhtat thats its project taking up time, money and

space. But photography is my hobby so i dont mind. It seems to me that allways having some kind of project in my head make me a

happy man. When i started out developing my own film people told me that i was ok for b&w but color was waaaaaaaaaay to difficult. But

to those who once told me that: what is the difference in hitting 20 degrees or 39 degrees??? -nothing. I guees the enlarger process is

not that difficult either but getting the right equipment and place to work can be a challenge:-) thaks all for your answers. I will stil be

reading this thread if new answers is coming on.