Film Scanner--Vuescan problem

<p>Hi all:<br />I have a Polaroid 120 Sprintscan film scanner. It is an "orphan"; Polaroid long ago went out of business and does not support it. Fortunately, I long ago purchased the Pro version of Vuescan to run both the film scanner and my Epson V700 flat bed. The film scanner worked beautifully with Vuescan prior to Hurricane Sandy. We were homeless for 6 months with no power, no water, and no heat. The equipment sat idle. We are now home, and lo and behold! the film scanner no longer functions. Vuescan says there is no scanner connected. I downloaded the latest version of Vuescan, but that did not fix the problem. In Device Manager in Windows 7 64 bit, It says "This Device cannot start (Code 10)"<br />It also says :<br /> Driver Provider: Hamrick Software<br />Date: 8/21/2006<br />Version 1.0.0.4<br /><br />In the Details tab it says:<br /><br />Driver Details:<br />C:\windows\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys<br />C:\windows\system32\drivers\scsiscan.sys<br /><br />The film scanner runs on either SCSI or Firewire. I am using Firewire.<br />I have some important 120 B&W negatives I must scan...I need help!<br />I did use my V700 and scanned several, but the quality is not as good as the Sprintscan. Top quality is important, as I want to make big prints.<br />I did send a request to Hamrick Software, but I am sure Ed is taking care of the entire world.<br />Thanks in advance for any help.<br />Dave Gurtcheff<br />Beach Haven, NJ</p>

<p>Dave, Any change in operating system? ie: going from Windows XP to Windows 7 or 8? Bad cable? Try another? Reinstall scanner software? Sorry, I'm reaching but trying to be helpful. Let us know how\if you resolve this. Could be helpful to someone else. Best, LM.</p>

<p>Those look like the wrong drivers. ksthunk.sys is fine, but I believe the correct FW driver is 1394scan.sys (?). scsiscan.sys is (obviously) for SCSI. Try this: uninstall the scanner, choosing the 'Delete Driver' option. Do this with the scanner disconnected. Reboot. Shut down the computer. Connect the scanner, but don't turn it on. Boot. Turn on the scanner.</p>

<p>I always found mr. Hamrich extremely helpful. Unlike the big corporations which cannot afford to spend time on you, and do not care about one single customer, only about the aggregate crowd, he takes time to answer. Do try to ask through his support mail.<br>

I use more recent scanners, but do have an ancient Pola scanner for some big negs I inherited. Brilliant concept catering for several formats. It no longer works. Not Vuescans fault, but bad Polaroid quality control which also brought the firm down. <br>

p.</p>

<p>Under the circumstances, my bet is that something corroded (rusted etc.), creating an electrical and/or mechanical problem. If changing cables and cleaning external connectors doesn't fix it, you might try opening in up and unplugging / cleaning / replugging any internal cables / connectors. Also, previously, did anything inside the scanner physically move when powered on? Does it do so now?</p>

<p>I can't say much about your specific problem, but I use Vuescan with my Coolscan, and I have very few problems. I tested the results of Vuescan agains the Nikon software that came with the scanner, and Vuescan was able to retrieve more detail of the negative. </p>