Pricing an image

proust

<p>I recently got an email from a local design firm expressing their interest in using one of my images for a brochure they're doing for a local client. They're asking if they can use one of my photos (nature photo) and how much I would charge.<br>

<br />I realize that it depends on a lot of factors (like size of design firm, quality of image, availability of similar images etc) but in general, what are some things to keep in mind while quoting a number? Is there a starting reference $ number that I can use as a benchmark? Any other things to keep in mind?<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It appears you shoot for pleasure, not money, if so:</p>

<p>Who is the Design Firm’s CLIENT? – that’s the very first consideration.<br /> The Design Firm will (I expect) be billing the CLIENT for your (additional) cost to the brochure – so what do you think the client will afford?</p>

<p>At the moment the Design Firm has most of the leverage in the transaction with you – that’s the next key element I would consider. The only leverage you have is the Design Firm has shown interest in something you have and if you react quickly and in an appropriate manner allowing a simple path for the Design Firm to do its job – then you will sell a photo.</p>

<p>The next element is how much otherwise would the image be worth to you in dollars – if nothing then any price you sell it for is a gain.<br /> (Note: I am NOT suggesting that your images are ‘worthless’ what I am saying is if you haven’t already quantified a value in $ terms, then the $ quantity to you, at the moment is zero and any sale will be a profit on that).</p>

<p>The next element is to choose whether or not you are happy to walk away: if you are not happy to walk away then the Design Firm will continue to have the leverage in the conversation with you and you will barter and haggle – on that matter my advice ends.</p>

<p>Assuming you are happy to walk - then next element is what would you be happy with - $50, $500, $5000? Make a choice of whatever amount and consider that your choice be in the ballpark of what you guess the CLIENT will be willing to pay.</p>

<p>Let’s assume (only as an example) you guess $500. Then I would do this - let the Design Firm know that “I sell a single image for $500 for a <strong>one off</strong> run, unlimited number of brochures in that ONCE ONLY PUBLICATION RUN and the copyright is retained by the Photographer and any additional use is subject to a separate contract.”</p>

<p>If my assumptions of your situation are correct - I don’t suggest that you spend a lot of time analysing your marketplace or what other photographers might or might not charge.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>There are several licensing price calculators, including FotoQuote software from cradocsoftware.com, and these web sites: http://www.photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm and http://www.d-65.com/photographerresource/pricing.html. All will want to know how large the print run of brochures will be. You can also sign up for an account on one of the large stock photo sites and after finding an image similar to yours price that image according to the usage.<br>

But all of that is worthless if the client doesn't have a budget in mind, or has no experience licensing photos. For example, the first web site gives $400-$800 for a "cover or major illustration" usage in a brochure of less than 10,000 press run. But if the client's budget is only $100, you are likely to scare away the prospective client.<br>

My advice is to ask the client what his budget is for the photo, then decide if it's enough money for you. If it is, then write a license agreement that limits their usage to that one brochure, without giving up any other rights or exclusivity.</p>

<p><Chas><br /><br /></p>