Nikon D800 Used price...why so low?

michael_scharf

<p>While there are many damaged D800s in the lower price range, as low as $1225, not all of them are. A D800e recently sold, body only, NOT dropped or broken, fully functional for $1599. Another NEW D800e sold for $960 (from Canada, probably no warranty in the US).</p>

<p>There are ALWAYS great deals on eBay BUT you do have to do a bit of hunting sometimes and have patience to find/get them.</p>

<p>I am not saying these are the best choices for someone that MUST have warranty but I have bought several used bodies and lenses in the past overall with good success (I have had two items that were not as described but because I bought from high positive feedback sellers, they were refunded without issue). Ebay has exceptional buyer protection and if you understand and use the feedback system, you can get great deals and shop with confidence even on bargain priced items.</p>

<p>On Amazon, a reputable seller (KEH) is offering the D800 for about $2300 used right now (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0076AYNXM/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=used&me=&qid=&seller=&sr=). Amazon will probably collect $100 – $300 in fees, so $2000 is on the low side of reasonable.</p>

<p>I don't know why the used price has dropped as fast as it has, but the D600 is probably part of the story: most people probably don't need the D800's features. </p>

<p>Re-reading many of the responses to this question I find myself thinking that Panayotis' comments may hold bigger clues to the answer than many others. When I rationalized my gear from, Olympus E3, Leica M8 and Fuji X100 to the Fuji and Nikon D800 I never anticipated how much I'd miss a couple of things, neither of them have much to do with taking good or better pictures, but formed a nice entertaining distraction.</p>

<p>Canon, Fourthirds, its micro cousin and the entire mirror-less brigade allow people to have a lot of fun with legacy lenses etc. The buy, try and sell on practice provides the enthusiast with a sense of excitement and discovery that is hard to beat. Add to this, that most people use their phones instead of cameras, we're left with a very small bunch of people needing anything like the power of D800.</p>

<p>Back in the film days I can remember friends enthusiastically selling their convenient 35mm stuff to go Medium format only to discover how limiting it was. I think the same kind of thing is happening here.</p>

<p>I went back to KEH's web site again. They will buy your used D800 with battery and charger for $1460 or so in Excellent+ condition, maybe $50 less for just Ex. (When KEH turns around and sells it, they'll tag on another $900 or so for all their work, warranty, etc.).</p>

<p>Therefore, it makes no sense for people to sell their D800 on eBay for what they can easily get from KEH without hassle. When it is too good to be true, it usually is.</p>

<p>Sometimes, just sometimes, a good deal is just a good deal, on eBay or elsewhere. I have purchased several 'bargains' through KEH. I just bought a lens through them today and saved a lot of money over eBay and Amazon. Sometimes eBay and/or Amazon have better deals.</p>

<p>But given the prevalence of the left AF issue with the D800, extra care is needed when purchasing this body used. KEH has exceptional return privileges and offer decent warranties on all their used products.</p>

I am disappointed with the current value or d800 as well, use less than a year since delivery in 2012 and it has

depreciated too much. Definitely gotta do with the whacky AF accuracy, and Nikon's crazy desperate discounts and

debates throughout the year to fight with Canon share. My d800e slightly better, but still, that's big depreciation. From 3k

to 2k that's 33% in a year, even the d4 isn't as bad and it's 6 months older (6k to 5k) at 20%.

What surprised me is why are people buying d700 for more than $1000. 1750 is crazy selling price. The market average

is more like $1300...d600 is selling about 1500 refurb after u sell that kit lens. IQ d600 is hands down better. D700 is great

camera, but it's shouldn't be valued close to the newer models. I got one about 1k early this year for a friend and to me

that's fair

<blockquote>

<p>I could have sold the D700 but kept it because I don't always need 36mp but do need the 8fps.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's <strong><em>exactly</em></strong> why people pay high prices for a D700..... it's that or the even more crazy price for a D4.</p>

<p>There is no D700 replacement, same as there is no D300S replacement. High fps may seem to be a one-trick pony to those that don't need it....however many do!</p>

<p>As a non-action camera, a used D800 is a real bargain now......a used D700 is not a bargain, but you currently have no other sensible Nikon choice. It's a case of supply and demand.</p>

• 6 months later...

<p>Supply and demand.<br>

There are a lot of D800 cameras on the used market right now.<br>

Nikon refurbs are driving the price down even more.<br>

Frankly, I thought the D800 was a bargain at $3,000<br>

The camera is really excellant!<br>

Problem also has to do with so many new choices and<br>

many people bought more camera (D800) than they needed.</p>

• 1 month later...

<blockquote>

<p>That's <strong><em>exactly</em></strong> why people pay high prices for a D700..... it's that or the even more crazy price for a D4.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>... that and the wonky AF. The AF in the D800 just doesn't handle as consistently and accurately as the D700. To me, that's one of the most important features of a camera: that I can trust the focus.<br>

It's a great camera... my go-to for almost everything. But I'm forced to chimp like crazy because the AF is so inconsistent.</p>

<p>My experience with the D800E and D7100 is that their AF is better than the D700's, and I currently own all three cameras. Starting from 2012, Nikon has improved the Multi-CAM 3500 AF module so that it works better with maximum f8 lenses, among other things. For birds in flight images, in situations where all flavors of the D3 and D700 struggle, the D800 and D7100 handle them much better. I never got good birds in flight images with my old 500mm/f4 AF-S until the D800 and D7100 came along.</p>

<p>Someone on this forum just bought a D700, in good condition, from a camera store a few days ago for $1000: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00cTjA</p>