Alpenflex IIs: Revisited!

maiku

<p>Over a year ago I posted some photos from my Aplenflex IIs. This camera seems to be rare, but not a collectible. Here is some more information on the camera from my previous posts.</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00ZRhP<br /> http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00ZcnR</p>

<p>I had not used the Aplenflex since my second post in late November 2011. In that time it languished in the corner. I really have not given much thought to classic cameras of late. I had a nice Mamiya Super 23 for a week last week, but sold it to pay for a car repair. My other classic cameras have been sold to pay for the births and growing expense of raising to two toddlers. Not ideal, but such is life. As a result I do not use classic cameras very often anymore. The Alpenflex and a Yashica Electro G, given to me by my father-in-law, are all I have left of once large collection. I do shoot a lot of 35mm format, but with my Canon EOS1n and 50mm f1.8II. I have been saving my pennies in jar for over a year trying to figure out what I could buy. My urge for 35mm has been satisfied with the Canon EOS1n, but medium format still catches my eye. I dig the square format man. I also enjoy TLRs because they are quiet. I am caught between a Bronica S2 or EC or a very good TLR. The question on the TLR is which one! I foolishly sold a Toyocaflex last year. It was such a wonderful camera. Dumb! But dumb seems to be my middle name.</p>

<p>If you have any suggestions on a reasonable TLR camera; please free to make a suggestion or got one to sell contact me.</p>

<p>As you can see from the photos I need a hood. Ghosting and flare are problem on sunny days. Also the taking lens is a bit scared from mold, so that does not help. Though this a lower consumer grade camera the results are pretty good. I used Kodak Tri-X 400. Becuase it was a sunny day the photos were shot between F11 and F22. The camera only has a top speed of 1/200. I developed in Fuji Super Prodol at 20C for 7 minutes 30 seconds.</p>

<p>If anyone is interested in the location. I took the photos in Tochigi City, Japan. You can do a wikipedia.org search for more info,</p>

<p>Enjoy.</p><div>00bIRL-516985584.jpg.88ebb5c2fdd340aa1ac1b9258ab618be.jpg</div>

<p>Wonderful pictures Michael. They are just so crisp. The older fellows don't seem too excited about getting their pictures taken. Is it just me or does it seem like the camera might have light leaks along the edges? I recently replaced the light seals on my Yashica A with black yarn that is thicker than what originally was used. I'll get the results back this week. I also discovered a peculiarity with the tripod mount. There's nothing stopping the light from going clean through. For this last film I put the tripod's quick release clip on the camera and left it on for the film. I have a piece of electrical tape over the hole on the inside to be safe.</p>

<p>Nice photos Mike, really like Abandoned and Tea Set, and park portraits. Second what Rob's saying, about edge leaks, have a look. Also put the shutter on B and check the taking lens against a strong light source, seems to flare a bit, so either it needs a good cleaning or a good hood.<br>

Thanks for your post and great subject selection.</p>

<p>Nice photos Mike, really like Abandoned and Tea Set, and park portraits. Second what Rob's saying, about edge leaks, have a look. Also put the shutter on B and check the taking lens against a strong light source, seems to flare a bit, so either it needs a good cleaning or a good hood.<br>

Thanks for your post and great subject selection.</p>

<p>Yes Indeed you've had some fine cameras .. but life calls and as myDad always says-- you canT' take them with you..... though I've heard some people insist on being buried with their favorite toys... anyway.. Lovely pictures ..all of them. Rob said it; so crisp. You often post in B&W you do a great job with it. I'm quite envious. I've come full circle with format. I used to like the square format. Now I don't! While I do love TLRs. My eyes are getting bad and a waist level finder is just either too far without glasses and too close with glasses!?! Grrrr gettin old. I sugegst you get a system format which supports both 6c6and 6x9. I guess the card had to be fixed!! Bit I've always lusted ater the Mamiya 23 you sold! Ahhh ...so what,, another day!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nice photos, Michael. I particularly like "Abandoned", "Trash Bins", and all of the "People in the Park". Great to see such dedicated film users on here. I've been trying to get a 'Photo of the Month' thread established in the Medium Format forum for the last year. It has not seemed to hold much interest over there. Might have to abandon my efforts and just enjoy the fine photography in CMC!</p>

<p>I love the portraits, Mike. The Minolta Autocord is a nice TLR as is the Kowa Kalloflex. A good budget model is the Ricoh Diacord. All with Tessar type lenses. The Mamiya C series has affordable Planar type lenses that interchange and a great range of accessories but are more bulky and heavy than the fixed lens models. From time to time, I see clean looking C220's on the auction site for reasonable bucks.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the comments about the photos. I keep looking at the negatives and the digital scans. I think the negatives hold a lot more detail than my scanner can pick-up. I guess I should wet print a few photos to see what I get.</p>

<p>Rick don`t feel melancholy. Every penny on my kids is a penny well spent. I think ridding myself of the clutter has allowed me to concentrate on making better photos rather concentrating on what better gear I should have! </p>

<p>Louis, thanks for the suggestions. Perhaps sticking with the Alpenflex might be best. I just need to put some new light seals in it! Though a nice Kalloflex would be nice.</p>