New to minoxing, which scanner?

steven_dunlap

<p>Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and new to Minox photography. I havr read many of tho posts with much interest, and over the last few months, I have aquired a iii, a LX, and a TLX. I have a daylight tank and plan to do my own film developing. I have developed and printed 35 mm black and white. I do not have a minox enlarger, and am afraid to buy one on e-bay because I am not sure if it will have all it's parts.</p>

<p>I am considering purchasing a negative scanner for making the actual prints. I have never used one of these and am wondering if any of you can give me some pointers.<br>

What are the pros and cons between scanning and using an enlarger?<br>

What are some good scanners that some of you use?<br>

Do I need any special equipment other than the scanner and a computer?</p>

<p>Thanks a lot, and I'm glad to have found this forum. It already has answered a lot of Minox questions for me.</p>

<p>I waited. hoping soem MINOXIANS might answer and they may yest.<br>

Mosy of us use 25mm or even larger film.<br>

manufacturers discontimued scanners for 35mm fil years ago.<br>

that image is 24 x 36 mm., I think the minox image is 9 x 11 mm or less.<br>

people here complain that currently manufactured scanners . Usually a flat bed scanner.<br>

are not good ebough to properly scan the 35mm ( 24 x 36mm) image.<br>

SO unless there is a scanner I know nothing about. you are out of luck.<br>

My scanner only does 35mm.<br>

I decided if I needed a jpg. from any other negative, I would<br>

print the nbegative to a medioum size and copy it with the flatbed scanner.<br>

Som might suggest using a high megapixel dslr to photograph it.</p>

<p>If you are concerned rightly so that a Minox enlarger may be incomplete.<br>

Purchase a popular 35mm enlarger. You will be limeted on how large you can print., But a 4 x 5 or 4x6<br>

print should be satisfactory., try locally on craigs list or an old camera store or<br>

advertise for one in your supermarket. ( a card with little tags with your phone number.<br>

I am sorry I cannot be more help. But if I was daced with the same situation. this is what I would do.<br>

there si a sun-milature forum on yahoo. " moniman" sells slitters and I thing minox size film for reloading.<br>

there are services to develop and print color negative film.<br>

Of all the small formats, minox is still active.</p>

<p>Thanks Walter for your quick response. I do have a 35 mm enlarger, a Bessler. Maybe I can find a 25 mm lens for it and use that, at least untill a better solution presents itself. It has been a complicated process to gather as mich Minox equipment as I have. Loaded film is almost non existant, and so are empty cassettes. I'm not gonna give up tho!</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I use an Epson V500 flatbed with a Minox adapter setup from Film Scan (www.filmscanusa.com). All in all it works quite well for scanning Minox film. Depending on what I want to do I use either the Epson software or vuescan. Film Scan makes adapters for a number of flatbed enlargers so you might want to look at their site before you consider this route.<br>

I have not done a lot of printing from the scans but up to 5x7 the results are fine if the negative is good. I also print with my old Omega enlarger and a 25mm lens. This basic enlarger has been my kit for close to 40 years. I have a wide variety of film holders and a few lenses for it up to 6x6. It has always done a very nice jobe with my Minox film.<br>

Bob</p>

<p>Hello everyone. I have been using an Epson V600 with homemade masks to scan my Minox negs. The masks are slipped into the 35mm masks that Epson provides with the scanner.<br>

The Epson software is used, with the settings for the scan size adjusted in the software. So far, so good. I do a fair number of 35mm negs and have been pleased with the V600's quality...just make sure the negs (any size) are as dust free as possible. Pek Pads are a good product for wiping the scanner bed and anything that goes into it.<br>

Robert, I checked with the Film Scan site and do not see any Minox adapter listed. Would you happen to have the details for this adapter to the Epson printer? My diy mask's tend to "shed" fibers since they are paper based....would love to have plastic!<br>

Enjoy , Bill</p>