Best mid-range digital camera under $500

lynnwood42

<p>IJohn's comments are on the button. If you want interchangeable lenses and something relatively compact a good place to look is at the micro 4/3 by Olympus and Panasonic. I've been augmenting my much higher end DSLR gear with a used Olympus E-PL2 which came with the improved 14-42mm zoom, cables & software for $300 from a camera dealer who had an open box (oh, yes - it had full return privileges if I didn't like it within the 1st 30 days).</p>

<p>Even the little so-called "point and shoot" cameras will pretty much allow you to take manual control when you want to.<br /> Many people find a good compromise is one of the "bridge" cameras that have fixed, but long-range, zooms on them and otherwise operate a lot like a digital single-lens-reflex. There are many of them in your price range.<br /> I don't know the specific Canon Powershot model you mention, but I have had a Powershot for a pocket camera in the past (my daughter took it from me), and found it generally satisfactory, once you adjusted to its peculiarities (older model had lag between pushing the button and actual taking of picture).</p>

<p>Please take a look at the Fujifilm X20. I've been using it for about 2 weeks and am very pleased with what it can do, specifically for home and family shots. It seems to excel in dim light, although close inspection will reveal its limitations. I'm not 100% sure it's come down to $500 yet but perhaps it is, some places. I used some discounts and got mine for $507 but the list price is $599. </p>

<p>Another peach of a camera is the Panasonic FZ200, which I do not own but have read extremely positive reviews of. It too, hovers at or just above your price point.</p>

<p><em>Even the little so-called "point and shoot" cameras will pretty much allow you to take manual control when you want to.</em></p>

<p>Unfortunately this is no longer true. Today many, probably most, of the compact models lack what I consider to be full manual control, which is the ability to (simultaneously!) manually set the sensitivity (often <em>incorrectly</em> called the "ISO"), aperture (f-stop), shutter speed, and focus distance. But today, among new cameras, getting these features on the small models is more the exception than the rule. And of course, manual flash power control and/or flash exposure compensation can be quite useful too--but are not the norm.</p>

<p>In another thread, the OP suggested the Canon SX280 HS as a possibility. We have the two-generations-older version, the SX230 HS (the intervening model is / was the SX260 HS). Our SX230 does have full manual control, and I find it very satisfactory for what it is. That said, if I were seriously considering spending $500 on a small, all-in-one camera (the SX230 HS cost me $219 new, IIRC), I think I'd try to stretch my budget to $600 and get a Sony RX-100.</p>

<p>Now it is true that most of the larger 'bridge' cameras do offer full manual control. I'm referring to the models that have electronic viewfinders and typically have the shape of form of a mini-DSLR (but of course do not take interchangeable lenses).</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hey Lynn,<br>

I didn't see this post and I just posted a longggggggg reply to your post about the SX50 over on another post of yours. I had narrowed my search to the SX50, the fujifilm x-s1 and the pansonic fz200. I went with the sx50. i really wanted the fujifilm but it was 699.00. Bestbuy has the sx50 on sale right now for 368.00 (499.00) most everywhere else, it is the internet price so if you go in the store its marked 429.00 so you have to ask them to price match their internet price they won't suggest that lol. the sx280 is fine if you want a small fit in your purse camera but if you want something with a little more oomph at 299.00-325.00 right now you can spend about 35-40.00 more and get the sx50, but again all in what you need. check out the other response i left you. good luck deciding and have fun!<br>

~Lynn</p>